African Cup of Nations: Post-group PBP & analysis (R)

Discussion in 'Africa' started by glennaldo_sf, Jan 24, 2010.

1. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As there's only something like 7 games left - should we just have one combined PBP thread for all the games? Or at least a place where we can discuss anything (post group) African Cup?

Anyhoo ... some good games on now:

Tonight:
    Angola v Ghana
    Ivory Coast v Algeria

Tomorrow:
    Egypt v Cameroon
    Zambia v Nigeria

Some really good games coming up, I'm especially looking forward to Angola v Ghana and then Egypt v Cameroon games.

The semifinals will be
    Angola/Ghana v Zambia/Nigeria
    Ivory Coast/Algeria v Egypt/Cameroon

.... so a Egypt v Algeria semi final could be on the cards???!!!

:eek:

2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HT:
    Angola 0-1 Ghana (Gyan '16)

hosts on the verge of being eliminated....

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's that... Ghana 1-0 Angola. The hosts are out! SF1 will therefore be....

Ghana v Zambia/Nigeria

4. Palacas

Palacas Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    poor Manucho I know he feels terrible

5. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    congrats to Ghana knocking off the hosts with no more than 4 starters and a bunch of U20 guys. This is a massive accomplishment if you ask me. Very efficient performance.

6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ivory Coat go 1-0 up... Kolou with the goal.

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    crazy match this... IC go 2-1 up in the last minute only for Algeria to equalize in injury time... great goals btw... Algeria maybe the Turkey of ANC 2010.... the team that just does not want to die...

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Algeria 3-2 extra time.... Algeria - Egypt here we come....

9. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    After a stunner by Keita, 2 very open headers for Algeria to take the lead.

Lets just hope the defence actually learns how to mark players before the world cup. Otherwise IC will be embarrassed by Brazil.

10. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Surprising... Kolo Toure and Sol Bamba are such good players at club level... but in the national team they always look clueless...

BTW: Chaouchi is a f%^&ing disgrace. He stole like 10 minutes in total with his simulating.

11. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  12. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    By a mile.
    They should stop hiring linesmen in need of a good optician.

13. TheOranje

TheOranje New Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Irregardless credit must be given to Algeria for dominated this match. People assumed they would falter if forced out of their defensive shell, and they answered that query with a bang. They were the aggressor for the majority of the match I don't think that can be debated.

14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great result for Algeria... reminiscent of Turkey in 2008 Euros - the teams that just will not lay down and die... now I would just love for Egypt to win tomorrow - Egypt v Algeria semi-final!

:)

btw... that guy was a mile onside! What a botched decision... I really hope this doesn't happen in the WC.

15. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    you are right. It was a blown call, but CIV have themselves to blame for poor defence, and quite frankly for being too passive after going 1 nil up so early, it was like they just stopped playing. This was the first time I have seen a team dominate the CIV like Algeria did today, and this is going back 2 ANC's and a WC. CIV actually played better in their 4-1 loss to Egypt than they did today. Very dissapointing, but I will give Algeria credit, many people thought they were the weak link repping Africa in the WC, I think they will have a very good chance at progressing from their group as long as they don't try to play too conservative. CIV really needs to work on defence, (Bamba has to go, he has been making way too many mistakes) It is just disgraceful how they gave this game away after such a beautiful goal by Keita in the 89th minute.

16. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I believe that was Kolo Toure.

As to credit: I fully give credit to Algeria. They took everyone by surprise after three dismal group matches, which they managed to qualify mainly thanks to the outdated head to head rule (scoring 1 goal and losing 3). They were really tremendous today, albeit I really think the Cote d'Ivoire were really generous at the back... the 2 and 3 goal had no right of being goals. Where the hell was man-marking? And why were there more Algerians in the Cote d'Ivoire penalty box that Ivorians since this wasn't a break?

17. ALGmoeCFC

ALGmoeCFC New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You win some and you lose some. Algeria dominated Ivory Coast in the game in every department, check the stats. It was a deserved hard fought victory, and tough luck to Ivory Coast. This goes to all those people who have doubted this team. It is a win win situation for me, considering I'm an Algerian and a Chelsea fan. Tough luck Drogba, but we need you back haha....but we must remember, all thanks goes to the Almighty Creator.

18. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Algeria certainly played the better football. This IC side doesn't have the creativity to do well.

19. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Hmm... Ghost... did you watch the game? Cote d'Ivoire had issues and problems, but creativity was not one of them... That was the one department that Cote d'Ivoire was miles ahead of Algeria. If anything I would say there was too much creativity and too little rational tactical thought.

20. ALGmoeCFC

ALGmoeCFC New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And you didn't see what everybody saw, what football experts saw...:rolleyes:

21. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    And what was that?
    As all experts said after the game: Cote d'Ivoire's issues were in the back. Not in the front. They was a lot of creativity going up front, but not enough team-work.

It is you who didn't see what everybody saw, what football experts saw... :D

22. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes I saw the game. The extent of their creativity was just loads of through balls down the middle. Hardly any were pulled off and the one that was actually onside went against them.

Cut out those through balls which didn't seem that effective in this game, and I don't see them doing much, short of individual pieces of brilliance.

23. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Then you saw a different game than most commentators saw... including the game the Eurosport commentators saw.

Seems however you saw the same game that the Algerian dude did.

Equally biased though...

I'm out. Say whatever you want, but doesn't make it any more less untrue.

24. ALGmoeCFC

ALGmoeCFC New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Its a lost cause with this bitter nobody. He saw a different game.

25. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Its a lost cause with this bitter nobody going by the name of ALGmoeCFC. He saw a different game

BTW If Cote d'Ivoire was so uncreative how the hell did they score 3 goals, miss at least 2 golden opportunities to score and should have had a penalty awarded? And Algeria's defence was miles better than Cote d'Ivoire's... It's one thing to criticize a team for its flaws (and Cote d'Ivoire is a very good case study for flaws), but I find criticizing it for it strong suites quite ridiculous.