African Chastity and Education: A Model

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by IntheNet, Jul 20, 2005.

1. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    And if that is what they do, I am all for it.

In review, this is the part I should have bolded:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people on this forum just can't wait to criticize or maginalize the impact of telling kids the truth.

So while I do not target this at you, it is something that fits some folks here, and elsewhere.

2. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I have no problem with telling kids that abstinance is the only 100% effective way to avoid STD's. I have a problem with Abstinance ONLY education. That movement has a history of distorting the facts to make it look as if condoms frequently fail. The end result is that kids either don't know how to correctly use a condom, or don't bother because they've been taught that condoms just don't work. I have no problem teaching kids the truth. I just want it to be the entire truth.

3. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    And I have a big problem with "condoms only" education which happens around here all the time.

The excuse is; they are going to "do it" anyway so why waste time telling them not to, just show them a safer way and move on. YUK!!!

4. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you quote me on where I said anything about not wanting to reduce the number of STD's?

You must have some seriously superior mental powers to deduce my reasoning out like that of a joke.

One good question here is. How in the -u-- are you supposed to test these african women to see if they are abstinent from all forms of intercourse?

I think that question right there is what makes this whole thread the most meaningless piece of --i- ever.

This is a soccer-based forum website. You want to make a real change, go preach your great ideas to middle and elementary schools across the country instead of sitting at home on your computer waxing intellectually about what "you _think_ people should do.

Go make a difference in your community and stop whining about how we don't agree with you.

5. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

So do I. My view of sex education is the same as my view of reading instruction (ie: whole language vs. phonics). Why not both? Some of the kids might not have sex if they hear that the only sure way to avoid pregnancy and STD's is abstinance. Other kids, even after hearing that, will still go out and do it, so I'd like them to have access to and knowledge of how to use, protection. With the recent trends, it's also time to point out the dangers of unprotected oral sex, IMO.

Kold_77_Krush, I sent your last post to the recycle bin. There is no need to get so worked up or call anyone out like that. As you said, this is a soccer website. This particular forum also happens to be a meeting place for some truly gifted and devoted members of the education community. I don't always agree with dj43's views, but he makes this forum a better place by sharing his views. Share views, not pointless anger and insults.

6. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point taken and I apologize. But that doesn't erase the point that dj43 twisted my words beyond anything I would have intentions.

What most concern me lately on these boards is the people that shout these principles to the hilltops aren't doing anything in their comunities to change it. Is it because they live in communities where this isn't [a visible] problem? Or is it because they don't consider their communities, ethnicities, demographics, nations part of the problem? It's very easy to ridicule africa for being a hotbed of sexual disease. What's difficult [and most pressingly needed] is promoting proper behaviors amongst 11-14 year olds across the middle class in America.

In the end, this doesn't come do "just don't do it" because if you are a kid [most likely a boy] aged 11-14 in the position to have any form of intercourse you will more than likely accept that invitation. Attention needs to be paid to parenting philosophies that concern more basic things like proper attention, developing maturity, a sense of self, independent decisions. Like actually showing your kids you love them without buying them off.

I've been a kid once and it's not uncommon to see any young girl aged 11-16 participating in sexual intercourse only to substitute for basic needs of love and attention they aren't getting at home. And I'm not talking about ghetto here, this happens in affluent suburban residential communities.

So where's this discussion? It's absent because the people who are bringing up these issues are comfortably sitting at home in front of their computers seeking instant answers to complex situations that they have not encountered.

Which leads me back to my first post in here [which was only half a joke]. It is very easy to be abstinent when you are shy and no one is trying to have sex with you. But that's not saving any overly developed "tweenage" girl who has absent parents and deals with sexual harassment on a daily basis.

So Jacen I understand your moderation, but I'm just consistently apalled by people who instead of constantly deliberating their own mind's ideas choose to attack others.

7. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Uganda is still so corrupt.

EDIT: This is more of a politics forum type of subject.

8. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I don't know where there is "condoms only" education. Obviously, anyone could realize that you have zero chance of contracting an STD if you were abstinent, but still, teenagers will have sex, and it's stupid to deny them knowledge of what they are capable of doing to protect themselves.

It's possible to teach both.