NSR: Africa should get less World Cup berths in next World Cup.

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by supman, Jun 27, 2010.

1. skos

skos New Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    How are the berths are distributed?

2. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  3. Hansadyret

Hansadyret Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Bergen, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Just take one spot from Africa and give it to South America for 2014 on their home continent and it's OK.
    Africa don't deserve to keep as many spots after this weak performance of the African teams. Africa should go back to their regular 5 spots.

4. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That is already ensured as the host spot goes from CAF to CONMEBOL (more specific from South Africa to Brazil). ;)

5. childgenius7

childgenius7 New Member

Jul 7, 2006
    While some of the discussion here has been... uneducated, for lack of a better word, I do admit to being ignorant on the matter myself and would be interested to know how berths are considered.

For example, with CONCACAF they must consider that there are 2 teams who have a great chance of doing well but the 3rd and 4th team will always do pretty badly. So even if the CONCACAF nations of Mexico and USA do consistently well, it doesn't necessarily mean more berths should be given.

I do understand what I perceive to be the original poster's main frustration though. Africa has been given many spots, despite CONSISTENTLY not playing very well. To give Africa the same amount of spots as South America despite no nation ever being able to make the semi-finals? When South America shares 9 World Cups, among 3 nations? I have to admit, it does seem a bit ODD at least. But then again, so does the fact that Australia is now part of the AFC and nobody seems to find this odd...

6. nbanba

nbanba Member

Nov 1, 2004
    One spot from Africa to South America and one spot from Europe to Asia.

7. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Lol, one spot from Europe to Asia, based on what? Asia's wonderful performance of not getting past the 1st knock out round?

8. nbanba

nbanba Member

Nov 1, 2004
    South Korea 2-0 Greece
    Japan 3-1 Denmark
    Australia 1-0 Serbia

9. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Portugal 7 North Korea 0

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not just take it from Europe and give it to S.A.? then again almost 1/2 the S.A. teams make the world cup already (I should say comebol since 3 S.A. teams play in concacaf).

11. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I see you only post the results that suit you, why don't you post Portugal 7-0 North Korea or Germany 4-0 Australia?

The #1, 2 and 3 teams in the WC are european, case closed.

12. nbanba

nbanba Member

Nov 1, 2004
    So what? Germany got trasshed by Serbia. Even if Australia got trashed by Germany but they trashed Serbia. :)
    Greece got killed by South Korea and Denmark got killed by Japan.:)

13. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Looking back on the Cup as a whole, I'd say the only thing that needs to happen is Africa shoud drop it's host slot and one regular slot to CONMEBOL.

Africa has never shown it's worthy of 5 spots, and here on home grounds CONMEBOL was the conference that sent 5 teams through. And CONMEBOL qualifying always goes down to the last day, so one should expect teams like Colombia and Ecuador to be competitive.

Costa Rica in 2002 got 4 points in group play despite being grouped with eventual third place Turkey and first place Brazil (and even scored twice against Brazil), so it's wrong to say CONCACAF #3 never does anything.

Plus, as dreary as injury-riddled Honduras was this time around, they only gave up 3 goals despite playing Spain, Chile, and Switzerland. That's better than a lot of Cup teams would have done. I suspect had Costly, Suazo, De Leon and Palacios been 100% they wouldn't have been shut out offensively.

The only thing that needs to change regarding UEFA is their Qualifying system. Too much emphasis is placed on who piles up more goals against San Marino. Then you have maybe 2 matches that really matter, and a tough break in one of them knocks you out. A better system would have the minnows eliminate each other early, and a final round against peers send 50% of the finalists through, ala the CONCACAF Hexagonal. That way you have 10 relevant battles per team and you don't get ridiculus results like Holland not qualifying in 2002 despite having the best GD in all of Europe.

14. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Lol, Serbia trashed Germany? Australia trashed Serbia? Thanks for exposing yourself as a troll :)

How much did it hurt your feelings when the podium was completely overtaken by european nations? :D

15. nbanba

nbanba Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Man, you didn't watch WC football this year?
    I bet you have only watched Spanish game. :D

You are absolutely a typical ignorant fool.

This is how Group D ended you brainless fool.

Germany 4-0 Australia
    Serbia 1-0 Germany
    Australia 1-1 Ghana
    Ghana 1-0 Serbia
    Australia 1-0 Serbia

What makes you think it was a troll? The result is based on from FIF World Cup 2010. You have watched Spanish games only that;s why you know nothing about other nations' result.

16. nbanba

nbanba Member

Nov 1, 2004

One African spot to be taken away and should be given to COMMEBOL?
    I agree with that totally.
    Also, I believe AFC and CONCACAF deserve one spot each as extre since they showed nice football this time. Two spots should be taken away by UEFA since there are too many sh!tty European teams take part in every 4 years.

17. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Whereas AFC and CONCACAF never send poor teams.:rolleyes:

Over the past 3 tournaments, half of all the teams sent by AFC and 40% of those sent by CONCACAF have failed to win a match. This compares to 14% for UEFA. Nothing suggests that the next best teams from Asia or North America would fair any better than the worst teams currently entered from any confederation.

18. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    What an idiot, winning a match 1-0 is not a trashing you troll, while a 4-0 or a 7-0 result, is. I know you have to exagerate to try and cover the incompetence of asian teams, but in doing so you exposed yourself ;)

19. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Based on this WC, I think the berths as it now stands is actually spot on. We surprisingly had 32 teams that were worthy of being in this WC. The two teams that people seem to be pointing out as undeserving were North Korea and Honduras. In the case of N. Korea, I heard there were a number of defections from the squad after the Brazil game. Before the defections they played Brazil very well; so well that I thought they might give Portugal and Ivory Coast fits. Then the defections happened. In the case of Honduras, they drew the only team that beat Spain in the 2010 WC, Switzerland. Honduras were thoroughly outplayed by Spain, but played okay against Chile. Also keep in mind that they were injury-riddled and were not the team that terrorized teams at home in Honduras during WC qualifying.

Others seem to think that Africa should lose a spot. Well lets break it down team by team. Algeria was a victory away from making the second round and held England to a draw. Cameroon outplayed Denmark in every regard but the scoreboard and because of that result, they were eliminated early. Ghana played well and probably should have been a semifinalist. Ivory Coast played okay but basically went home because they lost to Brazil, who subsequently tied Portugal. The 0-0 game they played against Portugal was a pretty competitive, even entertaining, game. Nigeria was befuddling. They managed to snatch a draw out of the jaws of victory against S. Korea and because of that, they didn't advance to the second round. South Africa drew Mexico and beat France, even if the latter was in utter turmoil. In short all the African teams, though not exactly awe-inspiring, were competitive. Though the tournament was in Africa, I don't think the African teams were bad enough to lose a berth.

This WC to me overall was one of the best WC that I've ever seen, because it was wild. I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) only 2 out of the 32 teams were mathematically eliminated going to the final round. Many games featured teams that were very evenly matched or at least closely-enough matched that many of the games played were competitive. There were many surprising results (Japan beating Denmark, Slovakia beating Italy, France losing to Mexico and South Africa, Switzerland beating Spain, Australia beating Serbia, New Zealand going home with 3 points etc...). Yes all 5 S. American teams made it to the second round, but it could have very easily been 3 teams if New Zealand (NEW ZEALAND!!!) put away a late, clear, golden opportunity against Paraguay and Switzerland held on to a draw against Chile in the second game. The margin for error were so slim that teams that made a couple of mistakes found themselves going home early.

I believe the allocations, as it stands now, is spot on.

20. nbanba

nbanba Member

Nov 1, 2004
    You are a master of idiot! Are all Spaniards stupid like you? Just wondering.
    Whether it is 1-0 or 10-0, a defeat is a defeat.
    I think you are way too sensitive about the word "trashing"

21. nbanba

nbanba Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Exactly. AFC and CONCACAF can't send extra fine teams because they have limited spots. We will see some more fine AFC team or CONCACAF teams if UEFA and CAF get their spots decreased.

22. Cloudkicker09

Cloudkicker09 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Windy City, Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think that we should increase the number of teams compeating within the world cup to 40 or 50. Thus increasing the number of berths each region has.

23. jkdd77

jkdd77 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    England
    Holland didn't have the best GD in all of Europe in 2002 qualifying; Portugal's was better (26 vs 21).

UEFA really doesn't have many minnows to eliminate. It has 44 teams (out of 53) in the world's top 100 under both the wholly discredited FIFA rankings and the more respected Elo rankings, meaning plenty of fairly tough matches for every team. 30 [or more] different European teams could plausibly qualify with a favourable draw and a bit of luck.

Getting rid of a large number of UEFA teams early on would lead to some reasonable last 16 contenders being eliminated right at the outset (damaging football in those countries), and could even lead to the very biggest teams being eliminated because they had one bad day in a two-legged contest against a middle-ranking country.

The real problem is that UEFA, which had previously used its own highly respected co-efficient ranking system, was forced to use the ridiculous FIFA rankings for 2010 qualifying (which had eventual qualifiers Slovakia ranked and Slovenia ranked 25th and 39th respectively out of 53 European countries at the time of the draw). This FIFA interference led directly to some hideously unbalanced groups, including the desperately weak Switzerland/ Greece/ Latvia group.

Nonetheless, the FIFA rankings, hideous as they are, apply to all confederations, and UEFA's second-tier teams were desperately disappointing in 2010, so I think, after allowing for UEFA's overperformance in 2006 (which went unrewarded), that UEFA should definitely lose half a place for 2014, to either CAF or CONCACAF.

AFC did well this time round, but really needs to stop losing the interconfederational play-off against the likes of Trinidad and Tobago and New Zealand, and stop sending hopeless teams like Saudi Arabia in 2002/06 and North Korea in 2010, before it can really justify five full spots.

The 'host' place should transfer from South Africa to Brazil, leaving CONMEBOL with a deserved chance to get six teams in (perhaps with their fifth qualifying team added to the UEFA play-offs to determine which confederation has more strength in depth).

I would, however, tweak UEFA qualifying for 2014 by adding a small prelimary round for the lowest ten teams, allowing for eight groups of six [without San Marino], which would be slightly stronger on average, and giving all runners-up a guaranteed second chance.

CAF would, in my view, benefit from moving slightly more towards a CONCACAF-type system, perhaps with a first round to reduce numbers to 36, followed by a first group stage of nine groups of four, with the top two teams from each group qualifying for a final stage of three groups of six. All group winners would qualify, as would two runners-up, with the worst runner-up possibly getting a second chance in a interconfederational play-off.

1 person likes this.
  24. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    The OP should first do some research and find out how many berths CAF actually has. :rolleyes:

This thread is a waste of space and panders to the OP's ego.

25. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    OMG, I've been thinking this for years. The way that it's currently set up allows for too many random qualifiers imo. We actually sent most of our better teams this time around but that usually isn't the case and hurts our ability to build experienced, tested sides through the course of multiple World Cups.