Afghanistan Football Thread

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by stimory, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    There were three offers to Kabul Bank players in their recent trip to India, however, they turned down the offers because of their 5 year commitment at Kabul Bank.

2. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Afghanistan's newly formed U17 and U14 national teams will play a friendly match on September 21 at Ghazi Stadium to celebrate the Peace Day.

3. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    What was the score of the friendly?

Afghanistan did not enter a side in the Asian games, nor the Olympic qualifiers, if we don't get competitive games, we cannot improve.

4. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I think it was U17 4 - 1 U14

5. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Afc Challenge cup 2012 play off qualifiers the next game for afghanistan. I wonder how the national team is doing these days? and also the current players playing abroad.

6. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    AFC Challenge Cup

THE DRAW

Playoffs (February 9 and 16, 2011)

Playoff 1: Bhutan vs Afghanistan
    Playoff 2: Philippines vs Mongolia
    Playoff 3: Chinese Taipei vs Laos
    Playoff 4: Cambodia vs Macau

GROUP STAGE (March 20-31, 2011)

Group A: Myanmar, Palestine, Bangladesh, winner of playoff 2
    Group B: Turkmenistan, India, winner of playoff 3, Pakistan
    Group C: Tajikistan, Maldives, winner of playoff 4, Kyrgyzstan
    Group D: DPR Korea, winner of playoff 1, Nepal, Sri Lanka

http://the-afc.com/en/afc-challenge-cup-2010/31002-2012-afc-challenge-cup-draw-results

7. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Depending on what kind of team Afghanistan field for this play-off. I feel they have enough strength to overcome Bhutan. However there preperation is vital, and also how many of the better players playing abroad are picked to play.

Players like Harez Habib, Karimi, Bilal Arezou should be definites.

8. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    It's always tought to determine at this level what could happen.

All nations have there flaws and it does seem hard to get a team together, especially for an away game.

Which Bhutan will we see? The one of 2008 that did well in the SAFF Championship, defeating Afghanistan on their way to the semi finals or the one of 2009 that were exceptionally weak, conceding 17 goals in the very same championship.

I'm sure if Afghanistan have the right preperation and personnel, then they can make the next round. They have 4 months to prepare, so lets hope they start preparing from this very day, rather than a rush job late Jan/early Feb

9. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Believe it or not, Afghanistan is getting preparation from two weeks ago. The squad has practice everyday and two coaches, Yosuf Kargar and Elyas Manuchehr are training the team. They will also travel to Tajikistan for a practice camp.

There are three pieces of good news as well:

1. The Afghan Immigrants Football Team in Europe is selected by Afghan and German experts, and they will start their practice very soon. This means some of them can join Afghanistan's National Football team. Besides, there are rumors that this team will travel to Kabul to play some friendlies with the other teams in the country in November.

2. Afghanistan's Football Tournament between the zones is underway and the final round will be played in November. Most of the national squad play in the zone's tournament.

3. The artificial turf, through FIFA Goal Project is now prepared and AFF is waiting for FIFA delegation to officially open the turf for playing matches. Afghanistan's home match against Bhutan can be played on this turf.

10. diclem87

diclem87 Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Zaragoza
    I think that Afghanistan don´t have to have problems to win over Bhutan. Bhutan is one of the weakest team I know.

11. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Yet, like i said earlier, they beat Afghanistan 3-1 in the last meeting.

12. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Well, everyone is pointing out to that 3-1 defeat, but every one also knows that was a surprise, because AFG had drawn with the two stronger teams Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. It was an internal conflict between the players and the coach that resulted in that surprise defeat. This time, hopefully, the situation is different.

13. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Do you know of the which players in Europe will be selected? or a list of which players might get selected? because from the past i have noticed that there are many Afghan immigrants playing in Europe at a decent level

14. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I don't yet, but you can see pictures of some of them on Afghaneurosport.blogspot.com

15. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Seems to be great development of bringing foreign Afghan European players, and players from Kabul. With good preperation and european players, i think we we can show Asia that Afghanistan can be a force in the future.

16. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Can Afghanistan play qualifier against Bhutan in Kabul ?

17. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Good question, last time they played in Kabul was in 2003 in a WCQ. There last home game was played in Tajikistan in 2007 - another WCQ.

Would Bhutan object to playing in Afghanistan?

18. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    An earlier post stated that the home game will be played in Kabul subject to fifa and afc approval I assume.

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  19. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    It was a surprise result yes, but Bhutan nearly made the final which showed they weren't actually that bad at the time, just no one knew much about them, hence why it was surprising.

20. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    It will be subject to approval, but the minute any nation goes to the AFC or FIFA and claims it's unsafe to travel to Kabul, then the game would be moved as the whole world knows the situation.

Wouldn't suprise me if Bhutan makes an appeal about 2 weeks before the game. It only needs the smallest incident for the game to be moved.

21. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    It should be an interesting match up, we both dont know what type of team both nations will bring, the Bhutan team in 2008 nearly made it to the final and surprised eveyone, that same 2008 Afghan side were really strong early in the cup, but drifted off (maybe because of the conflict), then you have the 2010 saf games Afghan side that got silver, and then the case of Euro players involvement in the national team, so i guess its all up in the air at the moment, and only time will tell what type of players they both bring.

22. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    The artificial pitch by Goal Project is completed and Afghanistan's U17 tournament is taking place at this ground.

Afghanistan might play its home match against Bhutan on this pitch.

Some teams might have concerns over security, but I should say security is in a good level in Kabul. The teams have a 5 star hotel with very good security and the city has been safe in the last months.

I hope Afghanistan plays its home match in Kabul, where thousands of fans are waiting to watch the match.

23. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Any news on the Afghan Euro Stars Football Team formed to help the Afghan National team with the upcoming games?

24. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    No news yet, but the bad news is that Balal Arzoo has an injury in his knee. I hope he becomes fit for AFG v. Bhutan. His club, Asker, was promoted to Division 1 in Norway after they got the first place in Division 2.

25. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    17. November Tajikistan - Afghanistan

Source : fifa.com