Affliction Day Of Reckoning (Jan 24)

Discussion in 'MMA' started by ottawasportsfan, Jan 24, 2009.

1. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    UnderCard (hdnet)

Brett Cooper vs Patrick Speight
    (7-4-0) (7-1-0)

Albert Rios vs Antonio Duarte
    (10-3-0) (10-1-0)

Bao Quach vs Lc Davis
    (15-8-1) (10-1-0)

Jay Heron vs Jason High
    (16-4-0) (6-0-0)

Antonio Rogerio Noguiera vs Vladimir Matyushenk
    (14-3-0) (21-3-0)

Main Card (Pay Per View)

Fedor Emelianko vs Andrei Arlovski
    (28-1-0) (14-5-0)

Josh Barnett vs Gilbert Yvel
    (22-5-0) (35-12-1)

Vitor Belfort vs Matt Lindland
    (17-8-0) (21-5-0)

Renato Sobral vs Thierry Sokoudjou
    (30-7-2) (5-3-0)

Chirs Horodecki vs Dan Lauzon
    (12-1-0) (11-2-0)

Paul Buentello vs Kirill Sidellnikov
    (26-10-0) (4-2-0)

2. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Nice card, will definitely check it out :D

3. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fedor = Boss!

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    fedor is not a man

i diddnt see the fight but ive read about it, he knocked arlovski down whilst doing a flying knee? rofl

i hope fedor beats brock lesnar so bad, i actually hate lesnar

5. LeetOwnage522

LeetOwnage522 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Doodlestan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arlovski tried to throw a flying knee, and Fedor countered with a HUGE overhand right and KOed him midair. It was so sweet. Check out MMALinker or MMATKO for a video of it.

And I don't think Fedor/Lesnar will ever happen, though I'd love to see it happen at some point or another.

6. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Don't get a UFC belt, Fedor will hunt you down

What is funny?? Arlovski was winning that round, then the unfortunate happened. It happened soo quick. I mean you seem him jump, then fall to the ground. Here is a great way to view the punch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't worry, Brock needs to worry about Frank Mir. Mir already handled homie & the way he beat Nog, there is probably only one person that can actually stop Mir...Fedor
    Fedor will go after his next UFC former Champion in his battle vs Josh "The Babyface Assassin" Barnett . It is getting to the point to not get your UFC Heavyweight belt, cause Fedor is seeking those puppies out. Overall, I was enjoyed the Affliction card. Great bouts!!!

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Don't get a UFC belt, Fedor will hunt you down

i saw the fight, looked like fedor faked and drew him in, then did a short ass ali style ko punch

looked inconspicuous but it was perfect

arlovski was more active, but fedor wouldve taken the fight to the mat at some point and kod dude or armbarred him

lesnar was smashing up mir i remember but mir locked up his foot or knee diddnt he?

good sub

heard big nog looked done in the fight, shame! his a pride legend

seems all my favorite pride fighters bar fedor were juicers and are now past it

shogun, big nog, wanderlei, jackson

8. LeetOwnage522

LeetOwnage522 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Doodlestan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What makes you say they are juicers? Shogun has had injury problems, Nog has taken a shit load of damage over the course of a long career, Wandy is the same story as Nog, and Rampage was LHW champion and just KOed Wandy in his last fight. None of them have tested positive to my knowledge.

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

well i just founf it strange they all went from pride and got beat, i think some of them looked bigger in pride also

i dunno, just a theory

rua was a monster and he comes in and just gets slaughtered

10. LeetOwnage522

LeetOwnage522 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Doodlestan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Changing from fighting in a ring to a cage is a HUGE switch for a lot of these guys.

Shogun, specifically, suffered worse because he primarily used soccer kicks and stomps as part of his arsenal, which are illegal in the States. He also fought Forrest Griffin with a torn ACL, and barely lost that fight with like a minute left in the round, not exactly being destroyed. And after tearing up his other knee in training, he came back from injury and TKOed Mark Coleman.

11. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Re: Shogun is not the same

However, does Shogun look like the best LHW on the planet? When he first came from Pride, he was dubbed as such. This latest win over Mark Coleman, was less than impressive. I don't think he could last w/ any of the Top 5 in the UFC in this weight class. Yes, he beat 'Page, but can you truly say he can do this after what you saw a couple of weeks ago? I cannot say he will be 'Page. He is in the same league as Liddel, Tito, & Couture.....Has beens. It's a shame, cause the guy had so much potential.

12. LeetOwnage522

LeetOwnage522 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Doodlestan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Shogun is not the same

I agree and disagree with you.

Here is what I disagree with:

Shogun is not washed up like Liddell and Couture are. He had a lot of ring rust, as his last fight was 16 months before the Coleman fight. His cardio and timing and general comfort in the cage was not where it needed to be, but he is still young.

I do agree with the part about him not beating Rampage now. I think Rampage is back for good, he looks unreal right now.

13. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rampage looks unbeatable because of one win? Come on.

Also to Robdog if shogun isnt up to par with the top 5 who are these top 5 fighters in class clearly above him? very curious.

14. LeetOwnage522

LeetOwnage522 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Doodlestan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he looks like he is back to where he was before the controversial loss to Griffin...and he was unbeatable at that point. It was a convincing KO of a top 5 or top 10 guy, and he looked like he got his shit together mentally. Who will beat him right now? Evans is the only guy out there right now who has a shot, but it would be a tough fight for both of them.

Top 5 LHW:
    1. Evans
    2. Griffin
    3. Rampage
    4. Lyoto Machida
    5. Thiago Silva/Liddell/Wanderlei Silva

I think Machida beats Thiago Silva on Saturday. I really rate both of them, but something about Machida impresses me. Thiago Silva is a more exciting fighter, though.

15. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanderlei is a reckless fighter(fighting above where he should be) past his best, that knockout doesn't suddenly make Rampage a beast again until he proves he can beat someone like Griffin or Evans who will fight a smarter fight.
    What was controversial about Griffin's win? Rampage admitted to it that night and later took it back, too late. Shogun can compete with any of those guys and is better than machida or Silva.

16. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    I could not have said any better. One thing though, I would put both Machida & Thiago Silva above Forest. Forest has a lot of heart. I mean he has a very huge heart, but both T. Silva & Machida have more skill. Hell, after what I saw Renato 'Babalu' Sobral do to Sokoudjou (ie Gator roll), I would rate him above Shogun too. Also, Babalu has beaten Shogun in the past.
    [​IMG]

17. LeetOwnage522

LeetOwnage522 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Doodlestan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a pretty nice D'Arce choke he laid on. Fun fact about Babalu, besides him being a crazy mother********er, is that he went to a decision against Fedor way back in the RINGS days. Only reason I have Forrest up there is because he was the champion until his last fight.

Look at the judges' scorecards, there is a lot of disagreement on how they scored the early rounds of the Rampage/Griffin fight. How does one loss make Rampage not a beast? Your logic doesn't work. That fight should have been a draw or a Rampage win, watch it again and you will see. Shogun is not Top 5 right now. He was and has the chance to be back up there, but as of right now, he isn't Top 5. He would lose to Machida right now via Unamimous Decision and I think Silva would take him down and win via TKO due to strikes in the late 2nd or 3rd round. Shogun's cardio is not there yet. He can get back there if he gets his act together though.

18. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have watched the fight twice, once live and once with my roomate, nothing changed. As for your one loss doesnt make a fighter not a beast argument: see Shogun.

19. LeetOwnage522

LeetOwnage522 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Doodlestan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you obviously don't know how to properly score a fight.

I didn't say Shogun isn't a beast...he has had horrible injury problems and a long layoff from fighting. I am defending him, saying he is going to be back to where he belongs. Please read my post before trying to be a dick.

20. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were saying about being a dick?

I love it, someone disagrees with you, and your point falls apart.

21. LeetOwnage522

LeetOwnage522 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Doodlestan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point doesn't fall apart, there is huge disagreement about the scoring of that fight. I invite you to check out Sherdog.com's forums, and see how the majority of fans had a problem with the way the fight is scored. Watch the fight again, and score it for yourself, and I'd like to see what you think about it. I'm not trying to be a dick, I just have a hard time believing that you will end up with the same scores as the judge's did if you look at it objectively. What rounds do you think Griffin won, etc? I genuinely am interested.

22. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Re: What about Vitor Belfort @ 185

The 2nd, 3rd, & 4th. Sorry, even 'Page has gone on record saying he lost & it is past him now. 'Page should have worked on his gnp when fighting Forest. Getting back to topic, Vitor Belfort has really matured, but I want to know what you guys think about him. I want to see him fight Anderson Silva. I know it won't happen, but man that guyz hands are quick. Just ask Mr. Lindland
    [​IMG]