News: AFC's 'Player Of The Year' Joke.

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by cmedina1983, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I'm not disputing the fact that the AFC Player of the Year award does what its designed to do - namely, reward the player who receives the most MotM votes in a calendar year in AFC competitions.

I'd dispute the meaning of the award, that's all. Two players of comparable ability and form may receive vastly different numbers of votes based on the relative strengths of their teams, and the number of AFC fixtures played. And playing more fixtures doesn't necessarily mean going further in a tournament - weak teams often play more games due to entering AFC qualifying earlier.

So what does the AFC POTY award actually mean? Well, nothing really. The shortlist is never going to be a list of the best players from leagues within the AFC, let alone a list of the best AFC players full stop. 'Player Of The Year' is just a misleading title for an award that is not even close to being comparable to the equivalent awards by other confederations.

I've got no objections to the list being for 'home' players only, but they need to work out a fairer way of awarding it.

2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Calm down Worrijim, i'm only stating what has happened in previous years, that more names will be added, so using Korean names as an excuse for not making this years list is wrong, because they may or may not be added shortly

3. Ganahal

Ganahal New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    its amaze rule change alway make crap Arab player won

4. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  5. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Endo will win :)

6. Semsoon777

Semsoon777 Member

Nov 18, 2007
    6th October City, Egypt
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Kengo Nakamura should win it, he is easily the best of the names stated above :D

7. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Endo wasn't even in the top-3 last year, so I doubt it.

edit: I should add it's another crappy list.

8. shayan_esteghlali

shayan_esteghlali New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    Esteghlal
    LOOOL Hadi Aghilli was Irans worst player this year, we didnt make the World Cup thanks to his mistakes, i dont understand why he is on the list while Javad Nekounam, J.S. Park... arent.

9. epsilonway-redded

Nov 18, 2009
    This year, neither Saudi Arabian players nor Iranian players made any contribution to Asian football.

Normally, AFC's Player of the Year is absolutely ridiculous.

10. epsilonway-redded

Nov 18, 2009
    Who the hell is Kengo Nakamura?

11. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    That was my response to the entire list. :D

12. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Shunsuke Nakamura's brother. :rolleyes:

13. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    They're twins.

14. shayan_esteghlali

shayan_esteghlali New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    Esteghlal
    trueee... except for Nekounam :D

hazzazi of saudi is also a great talent, he was the reason y saudi beat Iran, deserves to be on that list more than any other player...
    Noor was also outstanding this year, he was the reason saudi made it to the playoffs and al-ittihad made it to the finals of the ACL...

im no saudi fan, so coming from me they must be good ;)

15. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Didn't the Asia Oceania Soccer handbook use to handout their own Asian player of the year award back in 1984 unofficially?

Whatever happened to that?:confused:

16. Semsoon777

Semsoon777 Member

Nov 18, 2007
    6th October City, Egypt
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    You got to be kidding me :eek:! He is number 14 in the japanese national team.

17. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    heh, i hadn't realize that you were such a jokester. :)

Does this mean that FIFA will officially have a talk with Bin Hamman?

18. Syriaman

Syriaman Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Stuttgart,Aleppo
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Syria
    wow Firas under top4!:eek::p

would laugh if he gets the award......:D

19. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    KUALA LUMPUR (AFP) - Japan's Yasuhito Endo was voted Asian player of the year, while South Korean club Pohang Steelers and the country's national team both picked up prizes at a colourful ceremony here on Tuesday.

The Asian stars were honoured at the annual Asian Football Confederation awards amidst a glittering showpiece of traditional dance and acrobatic performances.

South Korea dominated the award ceremony, winning national team of the year, coach of the year for the country's Huh Jung Moo and club of the year for the Ponhang Steelers. Related article: List of award winners.

The country's Ki Sung Yueng bagged the men's young player of the year award while Japan's Mana Iwabuchi was named women's young player.

Japan won the fair play award while Syria's General Farouk Bouzo was given the lifetime achievement award.

A happy Endo said he was delighted with the accolade.

"I am honoured to win this award. Last year I was nominated but I did not win. I will continue to strive to play a better football," he said.

Endo, a 29-year-old creative midfielder who has won 80 caps for Japan, was nominated in 2008.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=afp-fblasiaawards&prov=afp&type=lgns

20. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think that proves there is no point system.

21. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Ravshan Ermatov of Uzbekistan is again selected as the best Asian referee of this year. :)
    Hope that at least he goes to Africa :D

22. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Butbutbut I thought this was only supposed to go declining middle eastern nations. :(:(