AFC U22 Championship

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by druryfire, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I think the U-22 Championship will be a success. And personally I like the route of qualification this way more. It's unnecessary for those teams to play in qualifiers in my opinion.

Can't wait! :)

2. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    So then this edition does not hold that much significance and importance.

3. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    It's still very competitive and this way we don't have to wait long for senior tournaments. It fills the gap :)

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  4. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    That much free time, Suren? :p

5. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I don't, i prefer the previous route.

I hate having all these age related tournaments that follow the same format. Qualification groups split into East/West is pointless if playing at a host nation. But AFC do this to make sure we have the same number of teams from East/West in the finals.

But look at some nations closely, Vietnam, Indonesia hardly ever get the chance to play teams from outside East Asia, there youngsters will never know what it feels like to play an Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan for example. They play the same type, edition after edition, surely AFC can mix it up a little??

I think the championship will be a success though. Forget U16, U19 championships and players developing. These players should be in prime condition coming off playing for teams in their own top flights. No naive boys, should be harden souls by this stage.

Kutsuit repped this.
  6. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    That's right, leads to no where.

Every other year will be pointless in fact.

7. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    At least it's better than the U-14 Championship or another regional tournament. U-22 is a very good age group. We will see fast flowing and attractive football.

Any tournament is welcome for me within Asia. :) The more the better they say :)

8. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    Quality over quantity, they also say. :x3:

9. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Lol sarcasm?

10. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    It benefits more than it hurts. I don't see any disadvantages in tournaments like this. I'd rather see an U-22 Championship than U-16 for example, let alone U-14.

11. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i prefer the grind of the old qualification methods than another tournament. so now there is U14,U16,U19,U22

Kutsuit repped this.
  12. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I agree with you about the U-14 tournament, but not about the other youth tournaments.

Every confederation has youth tournaments and it clearly benefits them. Players get the experience of playing in tournaments at an early age. They will get used with the pressure.

13. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    That's one of the reasons why I think the AFC is too big for its own good. It should split into two separate confederations in the future, in my opinion. This will also cut the costs of traveling. Asia is such a huge continent that qualifications are always going to be region-based for these minor competitions. Football in this continent hasn't really developed the way people wanted it to. Most Asian youth competitions are mismanaged and poorly structured. The countries that have good youth setups (e.g. Australia, Japan and South Korea) have done it by themselves, without the help of the AFC.

14. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Personally I think it's better for Iraq. We tend to do well in tournaments because consistency plays a minor role in comparison with long qualifying campaigns.

Kutsuit repped this.
  15. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I wish but no.
    Every other edition doesn't get you to an Olympics. It means best in Asia but will nations care if they are preparing for the edition afterwards that does qualify for Olympics.

16. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    iraq does well cause you guys use overaged players. its totally obvious. iraq is not a power house in football to create young talent like that. it obvious when ur "young" talent stays on par for the rest of his life.

17. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Ah, so now I get it. Nations like Yemen fail the X-ray tests but Iraq pass these tests because they have weedy overage players?

Weedy on the tests but strong on the pitch.

So, we now find out who sent all them emails to the AFC, Korea Republic beaten by Iraq in two big age related competitions.

You also need to go back just 6 years and see that the senior NT of Iraq, they must of used really old players to win that one

Mussab86, teammellieIRANfan and Suren01 repped this.
  18. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    The AFC President is today congratulating Oman on becoming hosts, beating 5 other nations to it. Yet I remember when the host was announced, it was only between Oman and Thailand. Again, simple facts distort the AFC.

Rumours of AFC Challenge Cup dates been changed, good job I've not booked my ticket to the Maldives yet and AFC Presidents cup going to a none playing nation, all in the day of the AFC.

19. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Hahahah lol you're back again.

If that's the case how did Iraq become champions in the Asian Cup in 2007? You have to know it because we beat Korea in the semifinals.. :D

Was that a youth tournament? Even in the 2011 edition we performed very well. Reached the quarterfinals only to be knocked out by a header in the 118th minute by Australia.

How did we even reach the fourth round then? We won 5 matches in a row back then. ;)

You seem to forget in what kind of situation Iraq is. We cannot play our games at home. There are even more fans from the opposition. Besides that our FA cares only about personal gain, so we play a minimal amount of friendlies against weak NT's.

And even then we did not get outplayed by any team in the qualifiers. We played against the likes of Australia and Japan with inexperienced players and they still struggled to beat us ;)

20. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    #170 Mussab86, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    why bother arguing with a sore loser? its hard for any one to lose but its always easy to throw claim, and what made it easier for him that some Iraqis that opposed our FA and gave false claims that he "the no one" or you can call him "sore loser" or "edlee" or whatever, thinks he hit the jackpot. I feel sorry for him because all evinces proved that all the the negative claims against our team are false. so why arguing with him and waste our precious time?

21. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Even FIFA denied the allegations.. Iraqsport is not a reliable source. It's just one person who claims that we have overaged players.

22. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    but why o_O

23. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    #174 edrees, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    If all nations have this mentality than it will go nowhere. Vietnam could of prepared for the Asian games by sending a team to the qualifiers and longer term preparation for the upcoming massive WC/AC qualification campaign! plus they are playing in the AFC U19 Tournement in Oct14, so they could easily send the same time to U22 and Asian games to get more experience and game time!
    sometimes I just dont understand..

24. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway