AFC New Format of WC / AC Qualification thoughts / issues

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by edrees, Oct 22, 2015.

1. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    With the new format of the new qualification method in AFC well underway, just wanted some thoughts around how everyone is liking / disliking to it, any improvement ideas, pros, cons etc..

2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    It's fine. Only concern, don't know why they needed to have a round 1 really. Just throw the lot in there!

Asian Cup was wrong in my mind. Should have a 2nd tier competition aswell.

Parisian75 repped this.
  3. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Think they simply struggle with sponsorship dollars for a 2nd tier competition. Many regional confederations host tournaments too (e.g. ASEAN Cup, Gulf Cup, East Asia Tournament etc. etc.)

4. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Pros
    -more teams included into group stage qualifiers
    -more teams are in contention for longer period of time (at least a year instead of those 1-week-long centralized Challenge Cup tournaments)
    -bottom teams play regularly against top sides both home and away, build football hype.

Cons
    -those six teams playing only two games and (as it seems) nothing until next cycle
    -too much teams at the final tournament - 24 it's more than 50% of AFC members, that's too much, there's no enough quality to justify it. 16 was awesome
    -Asian Cup qualifiers format - I think they should have included all WCQ relegated teams into ACQ group stage, like 9 groups of 3/4 teams, group winners and best three runners-up qualify to AC 2019.

In general, it was good decision to revamp it.

sokorny and edrees repped this.
  5. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #5 Angsa, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    I don't feel we needed round 1 also. It is having regular matches that allow the small teams to employ full time coaching and managerial staff to help the team improve.

More official games also allow the bigger teams to introduce more young players to international football. 6 teams per group is no big difference from 5 teams per group. I would not mind seeing Hong Kong play a couple more matches in this round and I would love to see Macau and Brunei getting involved.

Some of the traditional "small" teams have done quite well. Singapore drew with Japan in Japan, Guam beating Turkmenistan, Maldives almost drawing Qatar, Jordan beating Australia and Hong Kong drawing away to China. The big boys haven't had it easy.

6. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Also just noticed the AFC Asian Cup qualifying third round is just six match days, which means they will divide the 24 teams into 6 groups of 4. That's not very many matches and half the teams will get to qualify so it is not very highly competitive either. 6 groups of 5 would have been better in my opinion.

All in all, forget the first round, let more people play in it.

7. mdhm

mdhm Member

Southern District FC
    Hong Kong
    Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Hong Kong
    Further improvement to the existing format:

All 8 runner-ups should participate in the 2 legged play-off instead of such a complicated calculation.

OR

Round 2 should trim down to 36 teams and divide into 6 groups. All winners and runner-ups will qualify to Round 3 directly.

My ideal format for WCQ+ACQ:

- All AFC eligible members divided into 8 groups. Group winners will qualify to 2nd round directly and all 8 runner-ups should participate in the 2 legged play-off.

- The best 30 eliminated teams will compete for the remaining Asian Cup slots by dividing them into 5 groups. Group winners and runner-ups will qualify directly. The best 2* or 4 third placed teams will compete for the last 1* or 2 slots via 2 legged play-off.

*In case the Asian Cup host country cannot qualify to WCQ 3rd round

sokorny repped this.
  8. Minnows-lover

Minnows-lover Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    The group phase with almost all teams is a very good idea, though it's very sad for the 6 teams excluded (Poor Mongolia).
    Another negativity is that he would be fairer to have Play-Offs between the second placed teams, for at least two reasons:
    1- Third-placed teams like Philippines, Hong Kong, Guam, Palestine and Singapore would have still a chance, while now they must make some shocking result and i don't see any of that happen.
    2- The last match-day would be fair and without a risk of having teams without an incentive to win. Examples:
    -UAE - Saudi Arabia: if KSA will do some maths and discovers they will finish between the best runners-up even if they lose, UAE will have an easy task
    -Iraq - Thailand: Almost the same as above, but Thailand is not an Arab team and i have more faith in them...
    - China - Qatar: The same

And the last negativity is that we still don't know the format for the next round of Asian Cup. THIS IS A SHAME!!!

Parisian75 repped this.
  9. Parisian75

Parisian75 Member

Mar 13, 2015
    I want to add a point about the 4 best runners-up. at the moment, the goal difference will be an important criteria to determine the lucky teams. i don't think it's fair!

10. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It doesn't really account for the "strength" of a team's group (goal difference that is). I know they discount the last place team, but still doesn't seem fair. Surely an extra 2 teams in each group for the next stage wouldn't be that bad

11. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Yes, The top 4 to be determined to go through to the final round of the World Cup qualifying is quite a poor system to have. Goal difference is not a factor to determine the strength of a team.

12. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Right, that's Pakistan out of the SAFF championship then............such a disappointment. Where next for them?

Could argue that getting knocked out of FIFA World Cup qualifiers in the 1st round has made them not bother with football at all. That's weakness of Round One for you.

http://www.thedailystar.net/sports/football/pakistan-pull-out-175948

13. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Agree with that, given they had the correct amount of fifa match days, easily could of put them into 8 groups of 6/5 and let them play!

14. Edgar

Edgar Member

sokorny repped this.
  15. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    #15 dinamo_zagreb, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    I think they learned their mistake and that we'll see inclusion of remaining six teams in the group stage next time. As many of you say, it ain't hard to include them, it ain't problem for any of those teams to play additional two games as many of those played friendlies when they had bye in their schedule.

16. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I suggest we all do send our feedback to AFC. No use complaining if you aren't willing to do something to change it.

The only problem with such feedback mechanisms is that the AFC needs to ensure they show a genuine interest in feedback but providing responses to key points raised in the feedback (even if they don't agree with the points ... otherwise it is an exercise that will fail next time).

17. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I have a feeling the AFC will potentially throw all the teams in the World Cup qualification / Asian Cup in the next campaign. 6 teams not playing competitive football harsh and unfair. Having said that, they definitely need to remove this best 2nd place rule etc..

18. Minnows-lover

Minnows-lover Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    I tried to send them my ideas, but it didn't work...

19. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    With the allocations of the world cup 2026 out, AFC potentially have 8 direct slots and 0.5 play off spot.

Will we see a change in format for the qualification given 8.5 teams qualify?

20. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It's a no-brainer. 8.5 qualifying out of 12 is too much. I see two options:
    A) They add four more teams so 16 teams take part in final stage. Two groups of eight teams with top four from each qualify to WC, fifth-placed teams take part in playoff for spot in intercontinental playoffs.
    B) They add six more teams so 18 teams take part in final stage. Three groups of six teams with top two from each qualify to WC with two best third-placed teams - worst third-placed team qualify to intercontinental playoffs.

First stage stays the same - they even, if option B is used, can include all teams in first stage instead of killing international football in six countries, nine groups (one of six, remaining groups of five teams) with top two from each group progress to final stage.

Parisian75 and mdhm repped this.