AFC Champions League 2011

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by jonny63, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    AFC Champions League 2011 teams (plus two from play-offs)

West Asia

Iran:
    Sepahan
    Piroozi
    Zob Ahan
    Esteghlal

Saudi Arabia:
    Al Hilal
    Al Ittihad
    Al Nassr
    Al Shabab

UAE:
    Al Wahda
    Emirates
    Al Jazira

Uzbekistan:
    Bunyodkor
    Pakhtakor

Qatar:
    Al Gharafa
    Al Rayyan

East Asia

Japan:
    Nagoya Grampus
    Gamba Osaka
    Cerezo Osaka
    Winner of Emperor’s Cup or Kashima Antlers

Korea Republic:
    FC Seoul
    Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Jeju United
    Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors

China:
    Shandong Luneng
    Tianjin Teda
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Hangzhou Greentown

Australia:
    Sydney FC
    Melbourne Victory

Indonesia:
    Arema FC

http://www.the-afc.com/en/tournamen...-league/31688-stage-set-for-acl-afc-cup-draws

2. hihi

hihi Red Card

Mar 17, 2006
    Internet
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    It's going to be ridiculous if Al Ain of UAE end up playing in the East.

3. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    AFC Champions League 2011 – Group Stage draw:

West Asia

Group A
    1 Al Hilal (KSA)
    2 Al Gharafa (QAT)
    3 Al Jazira (UAE)
    4 Sepahan (IRN)

Group B
    1 Esteghlal (IRN)
    2 Al Nassr (KSA)
    3 Pakhtakor (UZB)
    4 Winner of West Play-off

Group C
    1 Al Wahda (UAE)
    2 Piroozi (IRN)
    3 Al Ittihad (KSA)
    4 Bunyodkor (UZB)

Group D
    1 Al Rayyan (QAT)
    2 Emirates (UAE)
    3 Zob Ahan (IRN)
    4 Al Shabab (KSA)

East Asia

Group E
    1 Jeju United (KOR)
    2 Melbourne Victory (AUS)
    3 Gamba Osaka (JPN)
    4 Tianjin Teda (CHN)

Group F
    1 Hangzhou Greentown (CHN)
    2 FC Seoul (KOR)
    3 Winner of East Play-off
    4 Nagoya Grampus (JPN)

Group G
    1 Cerezo Osaka (JPN)
    2 Shandong Luneng (CHN)
    3 Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors (KOR)
    4 Arema FC (INA)

Group H
    1 Sydney FC (AUS)
    2 Winner of Emperor’s Cup or Kashima Antlers (JPN)
    3 Shanghai Shenhua (CHN)
    4 Suwon Samsung Bluewings (KOR)

http://www.the-afc.com/en/tournamen...1705-mouth-watering-matches-on-the-acl-agenda

4. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Persepolis has such a tough group. :eek:

Group C is the new group of death.

5. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Strong Iranian line-up in ACL

6. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    How AFC is allowing 1st division team to play in Champions League[Emirate}

7. Abu Hamid

Abu Hamid New Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Dubai
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    I was going to post the same. Cup winners don't participate in UEFA champions league and rightly so.

8. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    This is the Asian Champions League where cup winners do play if they fit the criteira, it's totally different to Europe where cup winners would enter the UEFA Cup, where Asia doesn't have a competition for cup winners.

Emirates won the cup so they play, it's not there fault they are winners is it? Would you rather prefer a team that came fourth?

9. Abu Hamid

Abu Hamid New Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Dubai
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    No, its not their fault at all and i wish them good luck, they will definitely need it.
    This is just my opinion, i believe that the strongest club competition in any continent should not have cup winners participating in it. It worsen the quality of the competition unless the cup winner is a top team in their country. AFC not having a competition like the uefa cup or europa league doesnt mean they have to allow cup winners to participate in the AFC champions league.

Finally to answer your question, yes i prefer the 4th in the league, a team that played consistently well through out a full season rather than a team that won just 4 matches with 2 of them being to be honest Fluke wins.

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran does have a strong lineup in the AFC CL, with both Esteghlal and Perspolis (Pirouzi) competing along with Sepahan and Zobe Ahan.

Perspolis and Esteghlal, both from the capital Tehran, are fierce rivals domestically, with the Tehran derby regarded the marquee event in the Iranian league attracting between 90,000 to 100,000 fans to the stadium twice each year. That is true even when neither of these clubs is in contention of winning a title, as within Iran which side between them can boast of beating the other is often as rewarding to their fanatical fans as the league title itself. These two clubs, besides having the strongest fan base, also boast the longest history and pedigree among Iranian clubs. Indeed, in the not too distant past, the Iranian championship was often merely a race between these two and, in the old days -- before the new AFC CL format and before Iran's professional league -- Iran's representative in the Asian club championships were almost invariably either Perspolis or Esteghlal. In fact, between 1996 and 2002, that was always the case and one of these two clubs was also invariably one of the semifinalists in the old Asian club championships as well, although neither was able to win an Asian title in those years with the last ACC title lifted by an Iranian club one that another Iranian club, Pass, earned in 1992. Still, while Perspolis has never won the Asian championship and can merely boast to having an Asian cup winners cup title, historically Esteghlal was not only Iran's most successful team in the Asian club championships with 2 titles and 2 other runner up finishes, but once upon a time could claim itself as the best in Asia in this regard as well.

All that, of course, was in the days of the old Asian club championships. In the new AFC Champions league, neither Esteghlal nor Perspolis have enjoyed any success. In this new competition, the best that Iran can claim is what can be claimed by Sepahan and Zobe Ahan, both from Esfahan, both finishing runner up in the AFC CL, Sepahan in 2007 and Zobe Ahan just recently this year. Besides the two Tehran giants, these two would be without a doubt Iran's most appropriate representatives in the AFC Champions league and Iran is lucky to see all 4 of its best clubs competing in the competition. Good luck to them all, especially the two Tehran giants as I want one of them, and if possible both, to regain their old luster. They need some new accomplishments for their fans to boast about, as what they have now is quite dated and increasingly becoming largely meaningless.

11. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    So you'd rather have teams playing that don't know what it's like to win something.

I'd rather have a team that has won something than come 4th.

In all honesty, i'd probably rather just have the league winners play on a home and away basis and be done with it, just like the good old days. Love to see Nagoya stuff VB of the Maldives 16-0 in the 1st round!

12. Abu Hamid

Abu Hamid New Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Dubai
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    Yes, Just like Tottenham who came fourth in the English premier league last year and just last night won the toughest group in the champions league that included defending champions Inter Milan.;)

So if Volendaam wins the dutch cup or Union Berlin wins DFB Pokal, you would rather have them play in the champions league than Bayer Leverkusen or PSV?

Portsmouth won the FA cup in 2008 and liverpool were 4th in the league that year, you are telling me you would rather have portsmouth play champions league football, Portsmouth played in the uefa cup the following season and couldnt get out of their group. Liverpool on the other hand reached QF of the Champions league.

You like scores like 16-0, that explains why you defend Emirate club participation in the AFC champions league.:D

13. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Well, you do know that the ACL and UEFA version are both totally different because they cater for every member associaition to begin with, no matter what state the league is in. Cup winners also have another competition to play, in Asia they don't, and usign the UAE as an example, a 4th placed team is practically closer to a relegation spot than they are to winning a the league, a 4th placed team in the UAE is like comparing them to a 16th placed team in the English Premier League, so you have no grounds for a debate really.

Of course I don't want to see 16:0 victories, but i would rather see teams that are champions playing rather than teams that were invited in the case of the AFC Cup or teams that came 4th out of 12!

14. Abu Hamid

Abu Hamid New Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Dubai
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    I watched the League here for the past 20 years, the 4th is always nowhere near the relegation zone, on the other hand every few years it happens that 4 clubs fight for the title and the 4th lose their way in the final quarter, so you are completely wrong in saying that the 4th is closer to relegation than the top, how is 4th closer to 11th than 1st?!!

i guess its the same logic or math that makes 4-12 equals 16-20!!!
    last time i checked there are 20 teams in EPL and not 48!! :rolleyes:

Number of teams in the league is irrelevant, we can add 8 more clubs to our league to make it 20 teams, 4th best would still be 4th best.

The bottom line is that AFC have given us up to 4 seats maximum, how to determine who gets those seats? i believe it should only be the league since its the strongest club competition that tests every team in a full season and not the cup, in our case the cup is only 4 matches where luck, league contenders playing with their second units, ref mistakes and lucky draws once in a decade help a team like emirate club win.

I think there is something really wrong when a team plays badly for a full season, relegate, and then win a 4 round competition wins a spot in the AFC Champions League.!!:confused:

Anyhow, i have nothing else to add to the discussion, i already said what i wanted to say, if you want to further discuss the UAE league in particular, its appropriate to do it in UAE football thread.

15. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    The seats are determined by the UAE, AFC awarded 3+1 and the league chooses which teams take place. If they didn't choose a cup winner then they might aswell not play the cup, or in the UAE's point, as many cups.

16. Blastow

Blastow Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Sriwijaya-Muangthong United 2-2 (pen 7-6)

17. cakrabirawa

cakrabirawa Member

Jul 31, 2004
    white house
    I didnt expected it, Sriwijaya FC played without many of their starters

18. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Al Sadd 5:1 Al Ittihad Aleppo

Shows the gulf in class between ACL and AFC Cup sides really.

19. indiafootballfan

Feb 26, 2010
    all over usa
    Club:
    Pune FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    i hope al sadd dont spank dempo badly next week

20. tato_Top

tato_Top Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Auckland,NZ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    yes, neither do I. But it was a great game. The Muongthong Defender Panrit and the GK Kawin were superb! And thx God Sriwijaya have Kayamba Gumbs on their side. His game makes a big difefrence in Sriwijaya Attcking.

21. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Sriwijaya FC - Al Ain 0-4

Al Ain ready for AFC Champions League

22. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    al Sadd - Dempo 2-0

Al Sadd to AFC Champions League

23. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Disapointing again for the Indian clubs. It does appear that the AFC are forever pushing India ahead of everyone else, but once again they have shown that they aren't ready.

24. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Why on earth is Al-Ain in an East Asian group?!?