AFC Challenge Cup 2012

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by edrees, Apr 28, 2010.

1. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    If this is the case then FIFA also needs to count the qualification matches as "continental qualifiers" as well.

2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Tajikistan are a decent outfit at this level, but part of me hopes that this result is because of their recent exposure at WCQ level. If it is, then it might just shake up the AFC to include everyone in Asian Cup qualification.

3. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Although what you say is correct, I do think the majorty would agree that that stage is a level below what we see now.

Not sure how many ranking points would be at stake as we have very lowly ranked teams going up against each other anyway.

4. Galtaman

Galtaman Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Turkmenistan-Turkey
    FT Turkmenistan 0-0 Palestine

5. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I am on course with my predictions :D

even though Palestine have got a weakened squad to this cup, I still feel they have the strengh to win it..
    India unfortunately will be blown away and need to result into making there I-league stronger, and maybe trying to change the rules of getting Indian decent players playing overseas to make the national team stronger... everyone does it,. why not India??

On this note, I hope North Korea DO NOT win this comp..No offence to North Korea, but I feel they should not be in this competition at all.. they are far superior then the "Challenge Cup" participants.

6. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Nepal 0-1 Maldives FT

Bye bye to Nepal

7. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    Relieved that we're not going to end this tournament with zero points. I feel a little bad for Nepal even though their head coach is a complete tool. Wonder whether Roberts is going to stay there or not.

8. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    SAFF nations truly suck man no wonder we are regarded as the weakest region in World Football.

Maldives next face tough Palestine and I doubt their chances.Also there is no way India going to beat both North Korea and Philippines.

This edition is certainly the best edition of Challenge Cup with some good deserving teams playing in it.

9. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    It is too bad that host Nepal will probably not get a point out of this tournament after all the preparations and expense they have made to ensure that this tournament was successful. This edition of the Challenge Cup is just the most competitive ever.

10. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    DPR Korea? Hmmm...

11. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    It's halftime right now. Philippines leads 1-0 against India. Goal scored by Phil Younghusband in the 12th minute.

12. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    North Korea 2-0 Tajikistan FT

13. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
  14. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    2-0 Philiippines over India on Phil Younghusband's 2nd goal

15. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    2-0 Philippines. Azkals tied with Tajikistan for 2nd place on points as well as goal differential.

Next game against Tajikistan decides it all as I predicted pretournament for the 2nd slot in Group B.

North Korea deservedly tops the group and is clear favourite to win it all.

16. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    And with Tajik's and Phil's having the same record then it would go down to penalties if the sides draw the final game!!

17. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    If the Philippines and Tajikistan draw, who will advance? They're both even on goal differential, most goals scored, and least goals against. What is the next tiebreaker option? Penalty kicks?

18. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    EDIT: ignore my post. Druryfire answered my question.

19. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    So we have two epic deciders.

Palestine vs Maldives
    We have no option but to win this, so it's safe to say that Palestine are clear favourites. We must go out all guns blazing and try to nick a goal, and having our worst defence in 12 years I am not confident at all.

Tajikistan vs Philippines
    Looking forward to this one as there's all to play for. A penalty shootout will be epic from a neutral perspective. Not sure if their fans are going to agree with me.

20. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    No thanks Fureeku A clear win in regulation time for the Philippines would be better. I don't need the heartache and suspense of penalty kicks deciding who goes through. :eek:

21. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Looks like North Korea are on track in winning this cup, I am hoping Palestine or Turkmenistan do step up and hopefully take the title of them, as currently both Tajikistan and Philippines could not beat them...

22. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Well I am hoping the Philippines will improve with every game just like they have already done from game 1 to game 2. They haven't really had a chance to develop team cohesion as they come from different clubs from different parts of the world in the first game, with some Filipinos not even having played yet after arriving late, unlike the North Koreans who have been playing with each other a long time. It might be a different story if we meet them again in the finals assuming we reach that far.

First things first of course, is to try to make it past Tajikistan with both teams having even chances of making it through.

23. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Yes I am really hoping Flios do well. I like the fact that they have so many players around the world, and potentially can become a strong team if clubs permit players. Other then that they have created a profressional league and there domestic players are becoming better.

all the best :)

24. Galtaman

Galtaman Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Turkmenistan-Turkey
    Turkmenistan 3-0 Nepal
    Palestine 2-0 Maldives

Group leader:Turkmenistan, 2nd: Palestine.

25. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    Congratulations Palestine, a deserved win. Ironically this was probably our best performance of the tournament.

Will be rooting for Palestine against (most probably) North Korea.