AFC @ 2018 FIFA World Cup

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by GoYoungrokba, Dec 1, 2017.

1. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Group A: Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguau

Group B: Portugal, Spain, Morocco, IR Iran

Group C: France, Australia, Peru, Denmark

Group F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, Korea Republic

Group H: Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan

Good luck

2. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    i think we've all got a decent chance to progress beyond the group stage. obviously iran and korea have harder groups than the rest of us on paper but we've all had much harder groups than these ones in the past..... i think with a bit of luck we're gonna see a few of our sides go through to the round of 16

3. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carlos Queiroz: Iran is facing its biggest challenge in history.

“We’ve been drawn in the toughest group in the World Cup. Morocco are the best African team and the team’s results in the last two years speak for themselves. They have not conceded goals and claimed the African Nations Championship,” Queiroz said in an interview with Khabar Varzeshi sports daily.

“Spain and Portugal are also favorites to win the title. To book a place in the next stage is the biggest challenge in Iran’s football history,” the former Real Madrid coach added.

“We will play at the World Cup for our pride, that’s why I am here and I believe that those who don’t back the idea are the people who don’t respect Iran’s football,” the Portuguese coach stated.

“For us, to be in knockout stage means conquering Mt Everest. This is the highest mount in front of Iran’s football and all of coaches and officials must take it seriously,” Queiroz concluded.

http://www.teammelli.com/2018/04/11/iran-is-facing-its-biggest-challenge-in-history-queiroz/

4. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I think Australia and Japan have the best chance looking at their groups. Can't see the other three progressing.

5. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saudi Arabia has the easiest group on the paper.

6. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Yeah you're right, but for me Saudi is the weakest of the AFC teams so don't think they'll make it out still.

7. Alock8

Alock8 New Member

Mar 30, 2016
    AFC gave a good showing overall.

AIL1998 repped this.
  8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Interesting comparison on qualification performance compared to world cup performance

Group winners

Japan 4 pts r16
    Iran 4 pts. group stage 3rd

Group Runners up

Saudi Arabia 3 pts group stage 3rd
    Korea 3 pts group stage 3rd

Playoff winner

Australia 1 pt group stage 4th

Qualification performance was a pretty accurate reference point to World Cup performance. All teams had their moments. The peak single result was Korea eliminating the defending champions. Japan and Iran performed at a good consistant level. Saudi Arabia were blown off the park against Russia but showed good character to come back with better performances and get a win before going home. As for my nation, we didn't embarrass ourselves at all but we really need to find a way to score goals if we want to compete for a second round spot.

Overall a much better tournament for Asian teams that 2014.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a great showing, but better than Africa and on par with Concacaf.

10. ZelicMaestro

ZelicMaestro Member

Liverpool FC
    Australia
    Jan 16, 2018
    It was actually slightly better than Concacaf on a points-per-game basis - an average of 1 point for the group stage (15 points from 15 games), compared to 0.8 for Concacaf (7 points from 9 games). But year, pretty much on par.

While Asian nations still have a long way to go to match the big boys, it's interesting that on a PPG basis Asia has been the 3rd best confederation (behind Europe and South America, obviously) in two of the past three tournaments - 2010 and 2018.

Asia's disastrous showing in 2014 led more than a few people to make assumptions about the strength of the region that were a little wide of the mark. This World Cup has shown there are some quality players in Asia; the challenge is to develop some genuinely world-class talent that can carry more teams into the knock-out stages in future tournaments.

I feel the depth in the confederation is improving - by the time the tournament expands to 48 teams in 2026, countries like Uzbekistan, Iraq, Syria and (possibly) China should be ready to compete on the big stage. But the top-end talent has definitely plateaued over the past decade, with Australia and South Korea in particular going backwards in terms of the number of elite players they're producing.

It will be interesting to see how things develop over the next four years. I can't wait for next year's Asian Cup, and to see how the Asian teams go in next year's u-20 and u-17 world cups.

11. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO you mistake on the bolded part. Every team goes through a period that can be called their golden generation. When that period is over, It does not mean that they are always going backwards in terms of the number of elite players they are producing. Also football is different than what It was before. The gap between most teams is less now because football is global. So I disagree with you on the bolded part. If you are right on the bolded part, then we can also say that Iran is going backwards in terms of the number of elite players we are producing.

12. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    Yeah not that accurate of an assessment from ZelicMaestro to be honest. Probably confusing our NT underperforming with a talent drop off. There hasn't been much of a drop off, if at all.

AIL1998 repped this.