Advising Undergraduates On Distribution Courses and Choosing A Major

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by EvanJ, Jul 13, 2011.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What type of degree and skills would a college want from somebody who wants advise and register undergraduates on what distribution courses all students need to take (basic English, Humanities, Sciences, etc.) and help students decide on a major (students with a major would have an adviser within that department)? I don't know computer programming but I think I could learn how to use a computer system to register students pretty easily. I'm good at rote memorization and understanding graduation requirements and the order courses need to be taken in. For example, at Hofstra University if a student thinks there is any chance he or she will want a BBA, he or she should take Economics 1 and 2 and other courses all Business students need during his or her first year otherwise the student risks not being able to complete the Business major requirements within four years.

2. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on the set up. With declared majors, advising at public universities is done by faculty members. Undeclared majors are advised by the pros - a bachelor's degree in anything will do, though having sat on several hiring committees for such positions, the major downfall for candidates wasn't a lack of a particular degree, but a lack of real familiarity with the online management tools. It isn't enough to say you could learn one or used one as a student - that won't get you through the initial screening process and into the candidate pool. You need to dive in and know whatever it is, however you can manage it.

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And EvanJ - you're welcome. :)

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you.

6. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true in many places, but not all. Some of the major public universities are trending toward "general" academic advisors with a specific disciplinary background (meaning a Ph.D.). That's more likely to be true of schools where general advisors work with students for all four years, rather than just until they declare a major. Departmental advising (for majors) in these setups is ideally done by faculty, but not always. Sometimes they hire a full time staff advisor.

If you're planning on trying for an advising position, you need to look closely at the philosophy being used in the school's advising center (or equivalent thereof). And I don't know of any advisor worthy of the name, regardless of their degree, who'd tell you that the key to good advising is rote memorization. The core to good advising is something more akin to teaching, especially in a liberal arts setting.