advice for a converted defender!!!!!

Discussion in 'Player' started by borsato, Apr 14, 2005.

1. borsato

borsato New Member

Sep 20, 2002
    Toronto
    so i made the squad for a team i didnt think id com close to making.

usually played defensive midfield during my short soccer career.

they want me to play full back/centre back.

ball control and beating man 1vs1 is poor but i can stop dudes well i guess.

some advice, tips, positioning, and how to get over the fact that every single guy is really skilled and moves well w/ the ball and i cant seem to get it proper..... help!!!

2. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    Keep your eye on the ball the whole time, ignore their feet.

Also don't dive it. It frustrates me as a player when I see my own team-mates needlessly diving in and committing themselves to a tackle they can't make.

If you watch good defenders they wait until they're positive they'll get the ball, and then go for it. Otherwise pressure him and stand up.

3. CC05

CC05 Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    'Grats on making the team and goodluck :)!!

As metropolis2k said, don't dive in. Just hold up the player till proper support comes, and when you're positive you can get the ball away from the offence, make your move. As a forward, I love when players dive in so :p... You could also ask some of the more experienced players/defenders on the team about positioning. As well, watch some professional games and watch the player in your position - where the move with and without the ball, etc.

4. dﮥnny

dﮥnny New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    US
    I may become of center back but I'm not sure. Any tips of heading the ball? It's a family phoebia.

5. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    There was a good thread about heading recently so have a search back a few pages for that.

Just keep your eyes open, be confident and get the power from your stomach.

6. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    I play d almost exclusively. Get Reedswains "Individual Defending" That's the best advice I can give you. Don't go to the ground. Sliding tackles are reserved for the attacking third of the field. As a defender it's always best to be reactive. Let the attacker initiate.

7. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    If your ball control is bad go out on your own or with a mate and just practice passing the ball to each other. if you have bad control when a ball is coming to you from the air and not the ground then just throw the ball in the air and practice trapping the ball. Also if possible watch Olivier Bernard of Southampton play, he is on of the best ball controllers in the game at the moment.

As for beating men you don't need to when your a defender. Just keep your cool and all ways go for the easy and simple pass, don't be afraid to pass it back to the keeper either.

8. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Even as a defender you need to constantly work on dribbling, turning, and ball control. Why? The moment the other team figures out that you're the weakest ball handler on the team, they''ll gang up on you like a pack of wolves the moment you gain possession of the ball. If you can't dribble confidently, you'll be severly limiting your options, as you'll have to get rid of the ball the moment it is passed on to you, and that in many, many cases that is not tactically sound.

The buttom line is, the more weaknesses you eliminate in your play, the more valuable you will become to your team. I'm in the same boat as you, btw. I play d because I'm fast and tall and with limited ball skills. D is the strongest of my skills, therefore I spend the least time practicing it.

One more piece of advice, as a defender you're under much more stress to retain possession of the ball, because if a forward messes up, there's room to make up for their error. WHen a D guys effs up, there's a strong possibility of a goal. Therefore....make ALL touches and passes count. YOu can't pass slopily, nor can you afford to give passes to players who are under more pressure then you.

9. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA

Pick a spot on the ball and drive your forehead throguh that spot. Hit it with your forehead, not the top of the head. It works beeter and hurts a lot less.

Also, get used to heading punts and goal kicks. Use a juggs machine or have someone kick punts to you. After the first 10 balls, you'll be fearless.

10. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv

11. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    Well he asked how to overcome fear of heading the ball, not raise his IQ. :D