Advice:7 yr old cousin wants to take soccer seriously

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by jond, Jun 7, 2011.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am hoping some here can offer some advice. I have a 7 yr old cousin living in the east bay, in northern Calif, who really wants to play soccer. He's gone to a couple local soccer camps for fun, but after watching a lot of european soccer the past year, keeps asking how can I play there one day?

So.....what are the best steps to take. I will mention right off the bat he is a dual Amercian/Bulgarian citizen, and Bulgaria being a member of the EU, has an EU passport. His mom is Bulgarian. I know San Jose has a good youth program, but how good do you have to be to get on one of their u11 teams? u9 teams? We have the Danville Mustangs which have a great reputation, and are a member of the US development program. Should we start him out there, and then try to get a tryout with San Jose?

At what age do you consider playing highschool vs residency or a year round program? Given he's an EU citizen, do we at some point consider programs ni europe, and how does one go about that? Just hoping for any feedback on the best route to take to help with his success.

2. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    In response to overseas Dinamo Zagreb hold camps every summer in the USA. They are holding 2 in California in Sacramento and the San Francisco area in late June/early July. Players who are good enough have the potential to be invited to Croatia and trial with Zagreb's youth teams. They've signed a couple American kids already to various youth teams (age groups) I want to say the youngest is 12.

http://www.nogometnaskola-dinamo.hr/eng/camps/north-america/california

I wouldn't worry about moving anywhere yet. He's 7 so let him enjoy the game but if he really wants to improve maybe do some extra training work on his first touch. Maybe small sided games like futsal? Those are good for foot skills, have him work on his technical skills early!!

3. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    A pre-teen player's skills are what is important, not what team he plays on. Good coaching is important to skill development too. This is where having a parent or older sibling that plays at a high level is a plus. Read scoachd1's posts here:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1179944

4. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I agree, but I would do this for any child who wants to learn how to play the sport even at a purely recreational level. This is equivilent to playing catch (baseball and gloves) with your kid in the backyard. At his age too, I would encourage all types of physical activity to improve general motor skills/athletic development. That includes typical kids games, other sports, dance, martial arts, whatever--it all helps coordination, strength, speed, agility and endurance.

5. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Good point. Its summer so maybe see about a rec league at the local YMCA? Basketball, baseball, maybe some swimming?

Focusing on one sport too early will most likely lead to burnout and him becoming frustrated with the sport, be careful. He's 7, still a kid, so let him be one. Has he expressed an interest in any other sport or activity (drawing, art lessons, musical instrument)? I think he still has a good number of years before he fully focuses only on soccer.

Back to technical skills I've always heard good thinks about the Coerver dvds. You can probably find enough clips on youtube to get some basic drills/activities without buying the whole set of dvds.

6. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are some good things with Coerver training, mostly gaining confidence and control with the ball. Do a search on Coerver in Youtube and you'll find a lot of simple exercises to start out with.

Another useful site I came across lately is online soccer academy: http://www.onlinesocceracademy.com/Web/Jared_Montz_Soccer/Jared_Montz_Soccer.aspx
    There are some good little tips on the proper technique for certain types of kicks/etc, along with a lot of juggling tips.

That being said, don't let the kid play with older teams too early! The first problem is that this will push the young player to the point of having to rely on their best skills all the time rather than the freedom to work on/develop all of their skills. You would rather be in a situation where the player is bored and looks to try new tricks/skills rather than where they are struggling to keep up with the bigger/faster kids. It's also good when considering injury prevention.

Take a look at some of these free videos and exercises online. Then spend some time at the park or backyard doing the skills together. Take your time, and don't be worried about executing things fast right now. It's more important to be able to execute the correct technique first. Then slowly introduce pressure (1v1) situations where these skills can be used.

There are far too many parents and coaches concerned about the fast route to success, but it's been proven over and over again that taking the time to learn things right and not rushing through the steps will get you to your goal in the end. Conversely, those who look for the fast solutions to development end up with burned out players by 12-14.

7. Soccerisnotlife

Aug 12, 2008
    Seven is very young. I would get him on a local team that includes his friends from school or his neighborhood. Make it low stress for parents and the kid. Also, teach him to use BOTH feet as early as possible. Have him practice dribbling and juggling (bounce and then when he gets too good at it, no bounce). If it's not fun, he will quit. And remember, its just a game.

8. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I agree that is is very young, but it is not a "very young" age to begin training ball skills. The best window for training ball skills typically begins at age 8, and, because some kids mature faster than others, for some kids the best years will start at age 7. Missing out on these prime years won't mean much for the typical player, but for players who want to play in the EPL those years are important. If you read the thread I linked above you will see its not just important, but critical to developing world class players.

You might think a young child's dreams are unrealistic, but parents should not be judgmental in dealing with a child's ambitions. When my daughter was four, all she wanted to be was a pony. I didn't tell her it was impossible. She wasn't causing any trouble. She gradually outgrew it, but she kept her imagination and creativity. Today she is a very talented singer and song writer. My sons are not professional athletes or firemen either, but they are still happy playing soccer in their 30's, which was all I ever wanted for them out of youth sports.

What I am getting at is that if a child wants to deselect himself from playing in the EPL by not working on ball skills from age 8 to 12, its the child's choice. Parents should be supportive, rather than making choices for their child that don't involve safety or well-being. No doubt many would disagree, but that is my theory of child-rearing.

9. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    One of my best players this past year was a 9-10YO who the year prior to me coaching her team was pigeonholed into only playing on the backline and just booting it out whenever the ball got near her during games.

When I first started training with the team I played SSGs to see where they stood. I could tell she had more talent and ability than she was given credit for. She needed more foot skills, but then again, she was never given many opportunities for touches.

Fast forward to now, and she has scored 27 goals over the year (two seasons), her work rate is unbelievable and her vision and skills have blossomed. Despite that, she told me that she didn't want to play next season, even though she's had fun.

I spoke with her parents, who are obviously excited at how she's improved and her future with the game. They would like for her to play but I told them if you pressure or force her to play, she may rebel or get burned out. A season off doing some other activity will be fine and she might find out she misses playing soccer. But she won't if she never gets a chance to find out.

10. midsouthsoccer

Mar 3, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a real good point. When my son took off his training wheels and started riding his bike I thought that was cool and then the crazy soccer dad inside me chalked it up to improved balance and ability to move the ball around the field better =:cool: Any activity at this age as you pointed out helps kids develop.

11. ChapacoSoccer

ChapacoSoccer Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ranova, related question on young players. My six year old is of course convinced he'll be on the US team. He watches soccer all the time and plays with the ball a lot. But he does not want to do the more focused drills like passing the ball off the wall, coerver, juggling etc. And he certainly isn't as focused as the kid in sccoachd1's video. I'm still wrestling with whether to tell him that unless he buckles down and actually practices he'll never be good, or whether to just let him continue to play with the ball a lot and hope he eventually practices. Can he develop top notch ball skills if he doesn't start doing focused practice for a couple of years? I won't ever make him practice, but I can be honest about his choices.

12. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    First I want to say I haven't trained kids in almost 20 years and never trained kids younger than 8 (not counting working with my own kids as a parent). I hold no coaching licenses, but I have played the game for over... well a long time and keep reading on club management and training topics. I am still playing (much slower) at 59.

At six I wouldn't worry. It is a time for general motor skill development. At six soccer is and should be fun time playing with a ball. At that age "practices" have activities similar to playground games. Tag. Red light, green light. Simon says. They don't look much like a Coerver video. A 3v3 soccer "match" is the exception, not the norm. Playing with the ball a lot is what you want to see. And having fun. They are still learning to start, stop, turn, run and jump. He is a year or two away from the prime time yet. It is not just the passage of time, but he needs to develop to 8 years physically and emotionally. I have seen some really athletically gifted 6 year olds, but that doesn't mean they are emotionally ready to train like 8 year olds.

Beginning at age 8 is when you want to see him start developing superior soccer skills, but in training to be a future national team player its a 10-year marathon, not a sprint. Compare his performance to his own performance. Comparing him to others will mislead you as to his progress. For boys, making or being cut from a U14 team is pretty meaningless as a predictor of success at U20. Its skills, not size or strength that he wants to improve. Size and strength will come with age.

13. ChapacoSoccer

ChapacoSoccer Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thanks rca2, that's what I was hoping, it'd be a little sad if the only hope to be a good player was to practice like a pro now, I like all the silly games he comes up with. and hopefully all the play now will make him a quick learner later.

14. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son just turned 7 and I've been coaching his team for a few years now. He wasn't very serious about things last year either, we just played around together having fun. We still don't do those coerver drills at home, although we do play around with juggling.

This year he's started to get more serious and I showed him how to use a wall to practice his touch and quick control, he's really taken to it. Plus he now watches soccer games as more of an instruction, not just moves that he could learn but also positioning -- lots of good questions.

All that being said, it's obvious that there is a lot of time before he needs to get really serious about doing his homework. Right now he's just building that passion/love for the game. I'm sure your son is in a similar position and it's far too early to 'buckle him down'. Doing that too early could lead to him hating it and walking away from something he'd otherwise end up loving. Enjoy the game with him now - play 1v1 games with him, watch soccer together and play some FIFA together. All of this will help him build a base knowledge of the game while also the love for it.

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you to those that responded to my question so far. What I'm worried about, as well as are the parents of my cousin, is not so much him improving technically by himself, but more of whether or not he'll take a step back by playing for a youth club here.

I'm worried by what I'm reading in these threads. Even he he becamse far superior technically for his age group, would an u9 or u11 coach recognize that, or even have the ability to integrate that into the team. It seems you have a good chance at warming the bench if you're not tall, fast, strong, and athletic. It would be much better for him to learn how to play the right way, instead of building bad habbits and having to unlearn how to play the wrong way in the future.

Are there youth clubs which actually prioritize development over winning here on the west coast, or norcal inpeticular? I asked if anyone knew what it takes to actually get into an academy like the Earthquakes. Does anyone have an answer? Is there an ideal route to take to make the Earthquakes u13 team?

I brougt up that he's an EU citizen. His mom was a gymnast and was a member of Levski Sofia growing up. I'm wondering if trying to get him onto one of the Levski u11, u13, u15 teams makes sense at some point.

If he really wanted to, how do you get noticed by the US development program? Really am hoping some of you can answer these questions.

16. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    From the Earthquakes website

U14 BOYS

1996 and 1997 players. These will be set up with training pools around Northern California at various clubs and in various regions of Northern California to act as a development system for young players that will eventually be considered for inclusion into the U16 and U18 teams

Try contacting Fred Wilson of the Academy for info on how to get invovled with the development clubs for the younger age groups fwilson@sjearthquakes.com he could probably give you a list of the participating clubs. You could also fill out this evaluation form if you are interested in the Earthquakes "pre academy" teams.
    https://www.sjearthquakes.com/form/earthquakes-youth-academy-evaluation-registration

As for teams in Bulgaria at the younger age groups you could probably just call/email someone at the club, usually someone who works in the youth department, and ask about tryouts. Most teams in other countries hold "talent selection days" for the younger age groups, I know they do this in Germany.

Dinamo Zagreb hold open tryouts for their youth teams about 4 times a year in Croatia. Anyone can apply you don't have to be from Croatia to attend http://www.nogometnaskola-dinamo.hr/eng

US Development clubs hold tryouts every year. He is still too young for an U16 team but he would be able to attend the tryouts when he is age eligible. All the tryouts for both MLS and non MLS development teams are open tryouts.

17. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What I have learned these six years. I hope something helps

Help train your kid but don't coach them, unless your trained. Coaches spend a lot of time breaking bad habits.

It is so very important for a kid to know they are truly and wholeheartedly supported in their effort. Parent's who throw the ball at the kid every day demonstrate that importance to their kids. Make sure it's a dynamic trap they execute, and not a static trap, or a bad habit will ensue.

Doing this traps for 5 minutes. when they are returning ball you throw a second ball. Keep those two balls going for just five minutes. Every day. Work their off foot a little extra. The chat and camaraderie is important. These will be the best five minutes of your life's memories. I promise.

Find the very best shoes. This isnt something you get big to grow into. Get used to it. Leather is safest. Used can be great.

Look at the kids feet and rub them after practice and games. Keep an eye out for blisters toe placement and the loke. At 13 what a club rat does to their feet ...they deserve a consult visit to a podietrist to make sure everthing is OK.

Treat kid to a real foot massage at some place that does it.

Get them into the best club you can afford the expense and travel distance to their practice center. Try to find the very best fit so you wont have to switch clubs.

Try out places. Look for inclusion from the players he meets. Every one is friendly and uses his name.

Ask to see the coaches license credentials. He/she should be proud to show them. Hopefully it's an "A" license, and really hopefully an "A" license from Europe.

There is nothing wrong hooking up with a club that doesn't win states every year if they are really all about player development.

What kind of effort and results does the club get with college scholarships to real soccer power colleges?

Look for possessional training instead of clubs that play dump and run.

Perhaps most important.... this ain't all ball. What kind of lifestyle motivational coaching power does the coach posses? This relationship is about a lot more than soccer. It's learning about eye to eye contact, respect, and developing listening skills in order to progress rapidly. Becoming coachable. becoming a role model, and doing much better at academics because of their relationship is whats supposed to happen. Remember, this man is going to be part of your life and part of your family.

I'd give a club brownie points for carrying players with less well off parents

Always make sure kid knows he is one hard foul away from flipping burgers and that all the D1 schools want a real GPA...and if he goes to college on a soccer scholarship he'll almost certainly never play pro...

I don't reward goals or wins, but do heap tremendous praise later for schooling the other kid, and cheer any kid what can school him. "Way to school the J-dog!!" Our kid (and me) respect a player who can swipe it from him legally.

Never holler kids names or coaching directions. Theres still a lot to cheer for.

50% of the refs graduated in the bottom half of their class

If you can find a coach that coaching is his job and he/she doesn't have a "real" day job your better off. Much better off.

Jumping rope.

Rope ladder on the ground

Push-ups on knuckles.

Sit ups in a right non-harmful way.

Not doing road work or weights when they are kids.

Word gets around. Talent can be spotted. I know a ten year old with beautiful ball skill, Ill be watching on him on TV, barring any hard fouls.

Hit the MLS training camps in the summer, or if you drive that kind of car...premire camps across the pond. 6 to 8k for a month plus air. I would send him if I drove a late model Porsche, and instead drive a crappier five year old model. Give it up for the kid.

Try to be just under a gymnastic mom's level with the encouragement.

Practice Spanish. A lot of our worlds greatest coaches and players speak Spanish. Greatly inflates the dating pool also.

Get the Eurosport catolouge. Kid should know what every major player is wearing for boots. Kid should know shoes better than Imelda.

Watch Goal TV

Read soccer

Eat soccer

Program to dream soccer.

See you on TV !!

18. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    My son loved to play with a soccer ball, and kick it around, from age 1 to 7. At 7, he couldn't focus enough to make a travel team. At 8, he made a very low level team. At 9, he switched to another low level team, but by that time, was starting to become better than the rest.

At 10, he went to open practices with a good team, and made it. He stayed a few years, but in the mean time, they changed coaches who eventually got rid of him and half the team. He is now 14 and plays for our state (ODP tournament this weekend) as well as a high-level club team. He has only started practicing soccer daily in the last year or so. He started speed and agility training at 12, and that helped a lot.

Point is, your cousin has a long way to go, and loving the game is a good start. My family watches soccer daily (just went to a MLS game last night), talks about it a lot, and all three kids play soccer. My 8 year old has not been on a team yet, but she has skills that would knock your socks off. Point is, it is not too late for her, and even if she doesn't play U9, it's not too late either. She has gone to rec soccer and high level training since she was 5.

The rule is generally that big and fast young kids do best on soccer teams, but by about U13 - U15, suddenly size matters a lot less, smaller kids catch up on speed, and then skill becomes king. Work on skill at the younger ages and you can't go wrong.

I would not worry too much, see if he can start rec soccer (offer to take him there?) and go from there.

19. AndrePirloRules

Jan 11, 2008
    This is some of my boy's soccer highlight in 2012, he was 6 years old then, It was our first attempt creating a soccer video, because some of the opposing coaches suggested and we always get commended of his soccer ability by them. I apologize for the amateurish video. Can someone critique it, we're not sure if he's good enough to play for a club level team. He's equally good with both left and right feet. He's 7 years old now, he got a little faster, footwork improved a bit and his shooting got more powerful. The camp coaches put him in with the 7-9 years old during scrimage play in beginning of the video.

20. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Why couldn't he play for a club level team? Why would it hurt to take him to tryouts?

The only thing I would suggest is to tell him to practice dribbling with his head up. Also, I didn't see shooting on a goalie, doesn't seem like shooting on an empty net takes too much skill. At his age, if you really think he is "following in Messi's footsteps", he should be playing at least 5 hours per week, organized, or more unorganized. By age 10, try to get up to 10 hours per week. My son was at about 20 hours per week at age 12, and he goes between 15 and 20 hours per week of soccer-specific and more general SAQ and fitness training now in HS.

The main issue I have with videos of kids this young with same age opponents is that it is rare that their opponents are anywhere near their level, so they might as well be playing against cones. That is why many folks not only have their young kids play club soccer, but play up a few years to try to get competition that is nearer their child's level. *This does not mean that their child is destined for professional soccer* Playing up/traveling or moving to have their child play on a highly ranked team is trying to keep their child from being frustrated playing against poor opponents.

This video for example does not blow my mind, any more than "stupid pet tricks" blow my mind.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the9...tm_campaign=general_10_18_13&utm_medium=email

The rainbow clip is about 2 seconds. No idea what happened beforehand or afterwards. No idea if it was a set-up, if it was the 20th try. Great a 9 year old can do a rainbow, but I know 10 kids personally who could.

A 9 year old who can do tricks is meaningless if his opponents aren't anywhere near his level. Real Madrid can sign whomever they want for whatever reason, and invest in whomever they want. But it just is not impressive to do tricks, and there are countless threads about "whatever happened to that wunderkind?". One young kid for example was doing rounds on British TV due to his juggling ability. Got into an EPL academy and never made it far, ended up in drugs and drinking. The more you surround your kid with players at his level, and don't overestimate or underestimate his ability, the better off your kid will be.

I would NOT however keep him in rec. It will frustrate him, and you.

21. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Rec, club or whatever--labels really don't matter. It is the quality of the experience that matters, especially for pre-teens. A good coach is a good coach. A bad coach is a bad coach. I agree with a lot of what rhrh said except for the "tell him to practice dribbling with his head up." That is not going to lead to a quality practice. First it is an incorrect description of proper dribbling technique. Second it is a poor choice of coaching method. Instead of telling him how to play you should encourage him to engage in an activity which will teach him to look up frequently to see what is around him--while he dribbles and also while he is off the ball as well. Playing small sided games will force him to learn to look around to avoid tackles, shoot at goal, and pass to teammates. Bad technique is not effective. Good technique is effective and rewarded with success.

The best practice for development of ball skills for any player is going 1v1 against someone better--girls against bigger and stronger boys, boys against older brothers or neighbors, teens against adults, etc. What an organized team should give a pre-teen player is access to expert guidance and feedback on technique and individual tactics. Everything else associated with organized teams (matches, tournaments, division level) is a distraction from the development of fundamentals (basic movement skills, ball mastery, individual and small group tactics). Most people assume that players will receive better coaching and training playing on higher level teams, and teams will take advantage of that assumption. It is often true that higher level teams offer better development opportunities, but not universially true, especially for U-Littles where competitive matches are unnecessary for development.

22. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    First off, I really question how much any 7 year old themselves wants to take things all that seriously. While it is possible he may even say such a thing, very, very, very few really do because 7 year old brains aren't wired that way. So if you want a kid to keep doing something make sure it is enjoyable. Note that enjoyment doesn't mean it can't be difficult or require hard work. Quite the opposite, as some of the most enjoyable things in life require intense effort and concentration. Instead it means that the focus should be on learning new skills and developing new capabilities not external things like making certain teams or winning games.

You want a coach the stress fundamentals and knows how to teach them and creates an encouraging environment. Ideally you'd like to find a team where the child is somewhere about the 75 percentile on the team. Good enough so that he always plays and receives positive feedback about his efforts, but with enough better players so that he is always challenged to improve. Finally ignore age until around 10 or 11 when differences in maturity become an issue. That is all that is needed for at least 5 years or so. The rest of it is mostly meaningless chatter on BS.

rca2 repped this.
  23. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I agree with the "75th percentile" comment, that the player should be among the best but not the absolute best on the team, or all he is doing is teaching the others how to play. That is, until the highest level (top ten in the state at the very least) teams where everybody is good and being just a bit better than the rest (but still beat once in a while in practice).

Forgot to mention that futsal is really important in my mind, in terms of developing footskills and reaction time. Highly recommended for all players, especially younger players who happen to be bigger or stronger than their teammates and opponents (no tackling rule).

24. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Our son always had a work attitude for club, and a fun attitude for school. I think it's helped in his love for the game. Study school harder then other kids to be ready for an opportunity that could arise. Use the internet for a learning program. Be able to kick every other kids ass in FIFA release.

25. drink your milk

Jul 4, 2006
    First, he needs to enjoy playing soccer. Worry about him playing "serious" in about 7 years. But for quality training look for your local soccer club and interview them. Above all, when you chose a team, make sure it is not parent coached.