Adude! Where's my car-eer?!: general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bungadiri, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread will house a more general discussion of Freddy Adu's club career. Unlike the news and updates only thread, a broader range of topics will be allowed here.

Posters should still confine themselves to the Terms of Service they agreed to when they joined the site, and trolling will not be allowed. However, if you are interested only in knowing what's going on right now with Freddy's career, then you should check the other thread.

Also: the title currently in place for this (Freddy Adu: general discussion) will be traded out for the winner among those suggested by forum posters.

2. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Re: Freddy Adu: general discussion

"Freddy Adun't know where I'm playing this year!^$#!"

3. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

first page

4. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I demand a "Freddy Adu: Puns" thread.

5. RolexEmbezzled

RolexEmbezzled New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Does anyone have any details on what went wrong with the Sion trial? Things clearly blew up. From what I understand, Freddy is sort of in limbo right now with his high wages at Benfica since nobody else is willing to pay them, correct?

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

He did Tweet he had a bad toe during the Sion trial.

How bad it really was or whether it made any difference, no one knows.

All we know is that he won't be a Sionist.

PS. Are bad puns against TOS?

1 person likes this.
  7. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC

Adu-de, where's my team?

Oh yeah...first page. That's all.

8. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1st page biyatch!

9. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

If you SOBs are going to brag about first page then I'm going to brag about...

FIRST! (look up 8 posts)

10. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here's a bit of a recap of the previous thread.
    It was started on July 19th and had reached 1,000 posts yesterday, August 1st.

1. The highlight was the news and apparent interest by the Swiss side Sion (many puns were offered). Freddy tweeted that a big toe had swollen up. The general agreement was that it would be a good move for Freddy, if he could receive playing time. Sion ended up saying they were not interested There was some discussion that they may have been interested in a #9, support type striker, and that Freddy did not appear to be a good fit.

2. There was a lot of discussion regarding curtailing the individual poster's posting to a maximum of 25 posts on Adu threads. Three posters, Bolivian Fuego, Kyonn, and Dripping Milk each surpassed the suggested post cap and it was either pointed out by the mods or they agreed to stop posting. There were some posters offering to sell or assign their remaining posts (10-12 posts).

3. Voros expressed frustration at coming to Freddy Adu threads to look for news (yikes) and not being able to wade through the comedy/hyperbole to find what he was looking for. DK suggested he handle his frustration in a PM or be more gracious in his posting request, which appeared to irritate Voros even more. He has said that he is done with Big Soccer. More may be revealed.

4. Very few Freddy U-tube highlights were posted (a breakthrough)

5.There were the usual jabs at some of Freddy's purported deficiencies, tactics and size etc.

6. The Greek posters, other than Imperador who posted a lot early in the thread, appear to have quit following/posting about Adu.

7. Returning to MLS was mentioned in approximately 40 posts, the word "hater" in around 5.

8. There is a bit of anxious anticipation as to what might actually happen to Adu, will he emerge clubless for the season, drawing only a salary from Benfica/Aris without actually playing?

4 people repped this.
  11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Re: Adude! Where's my car-eer?!: Freddy Adu: general discussion

Oh this young man has had a very trying European experience, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Portugal, France, Greece and Switzerland and those country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Freddy Adu!

12. PiGo

PiGo New Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht

The most fitting pun for Adu('s situation), though it has been heard before, will always be:

MUCH ADU ABOUT NOTHING

(Shakespeare got it right all those years ago, no need to improve on it)

13. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're new here, so I'll go easy -- that's hackneyed. We need new and worse puns.

And I'm glad to have contributed to this thread's title :)

14. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well technically. . .:p

15. PiGo

PiGo New Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht

Well you just reiterated what I said myself in my post: it has been heard before, but IMO you can't improve on it. So your post is a bit redundant (but I'll go easy on you as well...; I'm only joking)

Seriously: I think it would be best for Adu if US soccer fans just ignored him until by some stroke of luck/fate he really does something to demand their attention.
    You guys keep on giving so much attention to a player whose biggest problem is that he has always received too much attention. He never learned a link between getting praise and actually doing something right. No good can come from that: he will keep on twittering on his own sense of self-importance. That's a real shame.

I'll leave this topic now to illustrate my argument, and to avoid wasting my time. If anything I said should offend anyone: I didn't mean to.

16. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

watching his Aris videos, I wonder if he will forever be a youtube soccer player...There are some nice tricks in there, and they actually contribute to goals. The best thing for him is to come to MLS, take players on, draw fouls, score goals, and remind the next national team coach that he brings something different.

17. PiGo

PiGo New Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht

Google Search: Nii Lamptey

a cautionary tale for all young soccer players who think they're gonna make it.

18. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...a-golden-boy-is-lucky-to-be-alive-777432.html

The situations are different, but the message is clear. I think with the amount of attention young players who have even a little bit of success get, it's an achievement if 10% of those guys go on to become "good" soccer player. I mean, all these kids that are hyped up to be the next Pele or Maradona has their star fall, but that doesn't mean they can't be very good soccer players who contribute to their national team.

19. PiGo

PiGo New Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht

I actually just found a 2004 article from modernghana.com where they already compare Freddy Adu to Lamptey:
    http://www.modernghana.com/news2/52862/2/the-next-pele-or-the-next-nii-lamptey.html

20. Hitman No.1

Hitman No.1 New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Shakespeare was such a genius that he foresaw the rise of soccer in England all those years ago, figured that it would sweep the world (with the exception of the North American colonies), ruminated that said colonies would need an "American superstar", guessed that said superstar would be a Ghanaian immigrant with a name something like "Ado", and wrote the play accordingly... :p

21. HatTrickHero411

Jan 20, 2008
    Screwston, TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2 post by yourself later....obvious troll is obvious. that's a real shame.

maybe you should ignore adu if the attention he is getting is bothering you?

22. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005

Huh, they were both born in Tema. Lamptey actually achieved more in Europe than Freddy has so far. Leading scorer for PSV Eindhoven, but then all downhill from there. Difference is, Freddy's rich.

23. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007

This post might be intresting if you could not google 50 articles with the same title.

You've got to come better than that ...come on

Next you will be telling us how he needs to give 110% right?

24. PiGo

PiGo New Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht

Now you're complicit for making me respond once more (but one more won't hurt...) I was actually thinking the exact same thing. I forgot to mention Lamptey in my post, and then later someone responded; that's how it happened.
    Anyway, like I said: I don't mean to offend. And I'm not bothered by the attention Adu gets; I just fear that it just keeps on destroying his career.

Take it easy, there's no need to get all emotional: I'll take your advice and go right back to ignoring Adu completely, until (yeah right) he actually starts to deliver. Farewell Freddy

25. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"
    Seriously: I think it would be best for Adu if US soccer fans just ignored him until by some stroke of luck/fate he really does something to demand their attention.
    You guys keep on giving so much attention to a player whose biggest problem is that he has always received too much attention. He never learned a link between getting praise and actually doing something right. No good can come from that: he will keep on twittering on his own sense of self-importance. That's a real shame.

I'll leave this topic now to illustrate my argument, and to avoid wasting my time. If anything I said should offend anyone: I didn't mean to."

I actually think everything you said is completely 100% dead on. I'm going to leave this thread and not post anymore as well until there is something hard. This guy has to get it together. None of us hyped him for no reason, he has the ball skills, but his head ain't right...