Adu: Monaco x PSG 9/24 11AM EST (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by smokarz, Sep 23, 2008.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Ronaldo and Messi are more direct players. Adu is looking for the pass as much as the goal.

2. KingAL30

KingAL30 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I think Monaco is using his talents incorrectly. I'd compare Freddy to more of a Deco(Chelsea) or Diego(Bremen) type of player. Freddy would be better served if he was played in a 4-4-1-1 or play him out wide in the traditional 4-4-2.

In time i think he will get the "Free" role that Deco has, where he's wide center or on the left throughout a game.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yeah, I don't if it was at the coach's prompting but Adu seemed to have found his position as the game wore on.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Seems to me that Freddy is exactly the wrong type of player to bring in as a late sub. He's not a plug-and-play type who plops into a channel, instead he's a creative sort who glides toward the space that the other team concedes. He needs some time on the field to find his rhythm.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yeah, Adu as a sub is a difficult proposition. He's the type of player who facilitates an effective team performance through his creativity rather than being a stat stuffer if you're down. If you're up you'd want someone with better physical tools to cover ground and defend.

6. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I agree, but he was fairly effective as a sub at Benfica - a couple goals and a good number of opportunities created. He actually ended up with the second most substitute appearances on the team, after Di Maria, partly due to the fact that he never started in league play.

7. Chims

Chims Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Oreland, PA
    It does sound encouraging that he started, played 70 minutes and seemed to do pretty well (this all gleaned from this thread but hey, what else am I gonna do?).

Maybe he's earned a start in the next league match.

8. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    adu is alwasys looking for the pass first, instead of the goal, hence his role with the usmnt will be feeding altidore...

adu runs your offense, and if you use him in the other role, more the finisher type, that's not what he does best...

still adu playing is good, as it helps when t&t comes up and usa has clinched a hex...

9. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    I don't know where this meme of "Freddy passes first" comes from. Even in this game, on several occassions, he received the ball and fired on goal without ever considering passing. Actually, I'd be wary of labeling any part of his game too much, you're liable to be eating crow in the not-too-distant future.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Ah, I was bit lazy in my description. In the attacking third Adu has the mentality more of creative midfielder than any kind of striker even though of course he can score goals. He tends to set his plays up whereas attackers like Donovan, Messi, or Ronaldo will go in more directly.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    True enough, he's a head scratcher. For a guy who can move the ball so rapidly, skillfully, and insightfully (say, U.S. vs. Spain), he sure has a lot of U15ish moments, holding on forever and missing runners.

I can't figure out whether he's a young genius, or a twisted talent. Whichever, he's at least great entertainment value, for which I am grateful.