Adu: Monaco x Lorient 9/13 1PM EST (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by smokarz, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Wrong thread, but it's simple to make that arguement. Just glance the the current colaship standings.

One other similarity with Benny and Adu, is that their agents have done horrible jobs IMO...

2. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    It's funny because that's just what Park did. He came from the K-League and Olympics and he didn't even sign until Sept 1st. He's a bigger foward than Freddy and maybe he's the type the manager was desperately looking for.

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually wasn't aware of that until a few moments ago. I knew he missed pre-season I just thought he was signed in the summer prior to Adu not at the deadline. An oversight on my part.

Maybe he's just better than Adu which he could be.

4. ill quixote

ill quixote Member

Apr 5, 2006
    As usual, Adu looked confident and skillful on the ball. Someone mentioned that he didn't see too much of the ball but that's partially due to his play. It's a player's responsibility to get in good positions to receive the ball. Adu needs to improve in this area. (I think there were at least two times that he didn't make a decisive run and and his team lost the ball when his teammate tried to play it to him anyways.)

5. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    That's an interesting interpretation.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if Freddy was the dribbler you'd blame him for missing the great run of his teammate.

Freddy takes off, has a step on his defender, and certainly would have been through if his obviously tactically superior teammate :rolleyes: had released the ball when Freddy went. Instead he had to hold up his run when he reached Lorient's defensive line and his teammate still hadn't released the ball.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Pirlo didn't become a full time starter until he got to Milan sometime after age 21.

Xavi was of course developed by Barca for Barca and progressed well. That's the best situation to be in.

Another example Zidane after age twenty with Girondins Bordeaux

Then again Henry's club career really took off when he got with Wenger. Additionally for me it's not an issue of 'defending a player'. These guys are well payed for their troubles and my sense of self-worth isn't wrapped up in their respective success or failures. So spare me, please.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The Korean looked to be more of the modern footballer than Adu. Pace, decent size, scoring touch.

8. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Adu is from a bygone era?

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Adu had a couple of nice plays. He had one early on in which he torched a defender in central midfield feeding the attacking on the right flank who shanked the cross. He also had a play in which he made a nifty feed to player who looked to draw the pen but didn't

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I explained in an earlier post.

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Actually I wouldn't. But thanks for trying to guess. :rolleyes: Both players were at fault. They haven't played together enough to know what another is going to do. The dribbler maybe takes an extra touch which could have cause Adu to hesitate on his run but i still contend Adu, if he hadn't stopped, still could of received the ball in behind the defenders. The ball was there. It's not a big deal as it was 2-0. but it could be if the scoreline was closer. I was merely pointing out Adu, to me, looks like he's still learning his teammates.

12. ADUEDUALTIDORE

ADUEDUALTIDORE New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    He got the exact amount of touches you would expct someone who plays 12 minutes to get maybe a lil bit more. He looked pretty good tbh I though he seemed a clear step ahead of his teammates. That pass where he stopped running was just a bad play by the midfielder not to release early happens all the time regardless of how long players have played together. Had a few bad touches but overall a very solid perfomance took people on and sprayed passes around with confidence very respectable.

13. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks a million man, that made my day!

It's tough being a fan when you can never see your favorite players play. Now we just need some Bradley, Altidore, Edu, Szetela video packages and we're all set.

I thought Adu played well and I don't mind him getting some super-sub minutes now. I hope they keep increasing the minutes over time and then the start. If the could find a spot for Adu and Park on the field at the same time, look out ligue 1!!!

thanks JD

14. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    The positive is that his minutes are steadily increasing with each match.

15. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

16. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Park also has a 37 inch verticle leap.

17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also has a IQ of 150.

He's also been known to write sonnets in eight different languages in his spare time and is working on his astrophysics PhD as we speak. ;)

18. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    He went public with his own buttocks and made $7 million.

I once saw him scissor kick Angela Landsbury.

19. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003

20. AmeriMex

AmeriMex Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Orange County, Calif
    Kudos. "I must spread some love and Reputation around..." but of course around here not much love to spread.

Adu looked pretty good actually, look fine. He'll find a spot, kinda cool to see him playing deeper in the middle with 2 forwards in front of him.

21. Pagefan

Pagefan Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't that Adu who made that killer through ball that freed Alonso in like the 90th minute or so? That should've been an assist.

22. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Yes, I believed it was. Alonso you have put that one in the net.

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Robinho started today for ManCity, after flying in from Brazil.

24. ussoccerFan12358

Mar 11, 2006
    Central NY
    I hope you're being sarcastic. Robinho is much better than Adu.

25. KingAL30

KingAL30 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy was in as a forward, but he looked much sharper when he dropped to the center circle. Decent 12 minutes, lets hope he gets more mins. next time.