Adu: I've been to Hellas and back, now it's time to Rize up

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by roxbury, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aris might have won some of their money back ( by nefarious means), but from my understanding Benfica will still pay him what is due, so Adu will lose nothing. So, why should he fight it? Isn't it better to just let it go and move on. . . I mean they weren't going to bring him back anyways. . .

2. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Adu is responsible for the collapse of the Greek and Portuguese economies. Sorry, Turkey.

3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ;)

Anyway, I think Adu will have some decent options after this season. In the best of scenarios he will have a Team in the superlig that wants him and maybe he will be out of the doghouse at Benfica and they may want him back in some capacity. Of course there will definitely be 3rd parties probably in Scandinavia and maybe Holland.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    No. They sued to get out of their portion of the contract because they contended he wasn't in a playing shape when he arrived in Greece with an Albert Haynesworth syndrome, as it were.

Thus they stopped paying him. Then he went to trial with Randers late in the fall. The Danish trial may have become a secondary cause of the club winning their case. Or not.

5. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be the"secondary cause" of them winning, but the primary cause is shenanigans. We are talking about one of the more corrupt parts of the western world here. I would be willing to bet money exchanged hands in order for the hearing to go the way Aris wanted.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Then, why wasn't there an outcry from the Adu camp?

Like I said, this is done under the FIFA guidelines.

The least Adu's handlers could do is to take the appeal to Zurich. Since they hadn't, I presume they knew that they couldn't recover anything.

7. gabbar

gabbar New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He was well and truly screwed within the Fifa guidelines.

8. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps Freddy wanted to continue to have a career. If he had fought it, he could still be technically an Aris player watching training from the wrong side of a fence like everyone else. Instead he is released and he has flourished in his new club.

Keep burying your head in the sand thinking everything was on the up and up during his time at Aris. You can also completely disregard the article, but choose to believe one of the dozen different explanations from the club.

9. gabbar

gabbar New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ahh finally some action on these boards. Freddy must be getting some playing time. Maybe scoring some goals... What eh.... Lets hope his team gets promoted. Ahhh imagine that, the board will be back to the good old days. 1000 posts in what.. what was the record.

10. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT

Did you read this by Michael Lewis:

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It's not like the US had no inflated housing values.

That is the par for the course for the manipulated currency and the interest rate.

12. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I don't think you understand that article. It isn't discussing inflated housing prices. It is talking about outright fraud in order to evade taxes. It is talking about institutional corruption.

I'm going to drop it. Because I've been around here long enough to know you have no actual interest in the subject, you merely enjoy taking extreme contrarian stances and arguing them to the death. You're wrong. Enjoy.

13. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you suggesting that FIFA is a non-corrupt organization?

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm wondering what sfs is getting at. There was a thread somewhere where he asked a question that could only be very, very generously described as goalpost moving, and my answer to his question was "42" because I thought that made as much sense as anything.

Not sure what you're getting at sfs. Are you sure you understand the point diablo was making with that quote??? Your response was, well, completely nonresponsive. Sort of like my "42" or the question you asked that elicited "42."

15. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

16. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fredy's age???

18. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    THIS is how you make a Freddy age joke. Well played.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the square root of 69?

[result]Ate something[/result]

20. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh nah nah what's my name

21. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Random Thought: Freddy and Jozy could both be playing in te superlig next season. Fate.

Please, Rize, get promoted and Benfica let Freddy play.

The kid deserves a break.

22. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, Roxbury has started a new thread, so this one is closed.