Adu: I've been to Hellas and back, now it's time to Rize up

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by roxbury, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. party1234

party1234 Member

May 4, 2010
    Riverside, Ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love uk run ball.

2. tunahan

tunahan New Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    this is fun, but i have to admit it is not gonna be easy to translate. i think it should go like this:

Çaykur Rizespor`s Loan Player Ghana born American National Team Player Freddy Adu aims to go europe. Adu says he moved to Rize because Rize prefers young players and he adds;

i preferred Rize because young players are starting 11 and i wanted to have constant playing time. My goal is to play in Europe, Spain or England. if i work hard enough, i believe i can play ball in England or in Spain.

3. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yeah. that is what the google said.

4. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this our new derisive name for Rugby? Because it should be.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    For fairness sake, I ran this through several other computer translators and they all came up with the same thing.

6. tunahan

tunahan New Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    i have a question. i dont know if this is the right place for it though.

Why do you people call football soccer and the other game football.
    i mean they barely touch the ball with their foot.

7. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blame the English. Despite their posturing, they invented the word:
    http://www.soccer-fans-info.com/origin-of-the-word-soccer.html

8. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Thanks. He still has his eye on the PL or La Liga. La Liga I can see, but not the PL. Is he out of his mind? That's not going to go well for him.

9. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Regarding England, maybe he thinks he can be a more attacking version of, say, an Arteta? How athletic is he compared to Freddy?

Regarding "football", two things I've heard is that: (1) people that played football/soccer wanted to use their hands and created "rugby style football", which, in the U.S., became "football"; (2) the word "foot" has got nothing to do w/ what part of the body touches the ball, i.e., very old forms of football were played back when games were categorized by whether players were on foot or not.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not just us. Australia's team is called the Socceroos. They call it soccer in Canada. The rule to me seems to be that predominantly white former colonies of Britain call it soccer, while predominantly non-white former colonies call it football. That's probably related to the popularity of rugby (a cousin of soccer/football) or American football (a cousin of rugby) in the predominantly white former colonies. My wife is from Kenya and rugby is pretty minor there, and they call it "football."

"Soccer" comes from "aSSOCiation football." Association Football in England is distinct from Rugby football.

11. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been a solid few months for Freddy.

I don't even know if Freddy can get enough interest from a La Liga or an EPL team.

We should just send him to Leeds :D

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Not counting the levels of football, Mikel Arteta is a far more rounded player.

Counting these football levels, Turkey II is probably somewhere around England III (aka League One).

14. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Yeah, Arteta's proven in arguably the top league in the world, and could pull the strings for most national teams not named Spain. Freddy's got a long ways to go to be where Arteta is.

I think many think England simply demands too much athletically for Freddy to compete, even if he were to mature and become more well rounded. Arteta has never really struck me as all that athletic, though...

Regarding "soccer", I just remember growing up watching "Soccer Made in Germany". :)

15. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way that Freddy gets a WP anyway.

16. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Oh yeah, there's that too. :)

Speaking of what he'd need for a WP, and in line w/ a couple questions earlier in this thread... I guess many think this is not the forum for intersections b/w YA and NT talk, but even if he does eventually do well in a better league, I have a hard time seeing him fit into any of Bob's prescribed roles, as he's not a two-way midfielder with a decent motor and at least average size, he's not a pacey winger or a speedy forward or a target guy...

At best, he might possibly be a late game sub if we're behind, but that's about it. It would have been interesting to see if Klinsmann would have had any use for Freddy or not, had he been named manager and Freddy's club career progressed; when he said the thing U.S. players lacked the most was certain technical skills, especially a good first touch, I thought, well, Freddy's got that.

Btw, people were talking about stats earlier. Here's a decent link for Rize stats that seems up to date.

Initially sorted by position (w/ one of two entries for Theo Weeks (Lewis) up top, as "unknown"). Click on any little picture up top to sort, e.g., click on the little soccer ball and it'll sort by goals scored.

http://jp.soccerway.com/teams/turkey/caykur-rizespor/squad/

17. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Utter nonsense. Adu fits fine into Bradley's system, which is the basic system used world-wide -> 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 with two holding/box-to-box mids, two attacking mids, outside backs going forward and two forwards. Adu has played for Bradley as either a second forward or an attacking, ostensibly wide midfielder, and with some success. The implication that Bradley is anti-Adu is ridiculous as Bradley stuck with Adu a long time even when he wasn't playing. The idea that Bradley can't find a place for a skill player is ridiculous as Bradley doesen't insitst on "pacey wingers" (e.g. Dempsey, Feilhaber and Holden) nor does he insist that his forwards be either "target guys" or "speedy" (though both are nice skills to have).

18. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Edit: Just got a message suggesting we not talk about this in this forum, so I'm deleting this post (except for a summary of the part that mostly does overlap w/ club talk).

To me, one big problem w/ Freddy - at club and nat'l levels - is that what he really is is a smallish #10 (who lacks top end pace and a top end motor).

Imho, most coaches, club and nat'l, have little use for one of those these days. Doesn't mean they - including Bob - are anti-Freddy. Even if they're relatively happy w/ him, they just don't really know what to do with him, as they don't employ systems with the one role he's best suited for. So they either sit him or play him out of position.

(Good, and obvious, point about 'pacey wingers'; I was thinking about club level coaches at the same time. If he progresses at the club level, I *can* see Freddy playing Dempsey's role someday. I'd still be surprised to see him start in central MF, or the Davies/Findley spot, or the McBride/Ching/Jozy spot either.)

19. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume he meant eventually he wants to play in England or Spain. I would suspect he'd be happy to stay where he's at for another year.

20. Typhaon

Typhaon Member

Nov 2, 2009
    So well all know Adu lacks size, pace, and a top-end motor.... but does that really matter if he's consistently contributing to his team scoring goals and winning games?

There are plenty of players who have those things, yet can't put the ball in the net... complete creative or important passes... etc..

21. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    There are very few players that have the whole package. Freddy has creativity and technical ability. He needs to be on a team that values those and can compensate for the areas where he is lacking.

22. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Okay, once again. What??

ADU'YA ÖZEL GÖREV..
    Teknik direktör Ümit Kayıhan, buzları erittiği ABD’li yıldız Freddy Adu’dan oyun içinde daha fazla sorumluluk alıp liderlik yapmasını istedi. Lig’in son haftalarında deplasman maçlarında görev vermediği Freddy Adu, TKİ. Linyit maçında attığı gol ve ortaya koyduğu performansla formda olduğunu gösterdi. Adu ile aradaki soğukluğu gideren Teknik Direktör Ümit Kayıhan, ABD’li yıldıza Samsunspor maçı için özel görev verdi. Kayıhan, Adu’dan oyun içinde takıma liderlik yapmasını ve savunmanın arasına atılacak toplarla arkadaşlarını gol pozisyonlarına sokmasını istedi. Siyahi oyuncuda Kayıhan’a bu konuda güvence vererek, hocasını rahatlattı.

23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Google gets it right ...

... or at least partly right. [Especially that next-to-last line.]

24. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    How in the world is that getting it partly right? :confused:

Was there "coldness" between Freddy and his coach? What does it say about his "leadership" and "more responsibility? Does it say he defended Samsunspor's star well, or is that an upcoming game? I can't even tell if it's about the past or the future. If it's the future, his coach is announcing his tactics?

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I dunno ... someone is biting balls and it better not be Freddy.