Adu: I've been to Hellas and back, now it's time to Rize up

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by roxbury, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Turkey seems to be a good fit for Freddy but I'd like to see him playing in the top flight. Assuming his current team doesn't get promoted, have there been other Turkish teams in the top flight that have expressed interest in him?

2. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    yeah I think it was intended for the other guy but Freddy had the best chance with it. I'm just glad the other guy held up and allowed Freddy the shot, I've seen cases where both players go for the ball and the one who makes contact shanks it because of the other player, ala Jozy in the WC (can't remember which game but it was like 8 yrds out and one of our guys went for it too and seemed to get in Jozy's way)

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Considering that Rize has regressed in the standings with Adu, he has to wonder if even they will be interested.

He ain't playing for free, you know.

4. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I remember correctly is was against Ghana and he and Donovan went for it. Couldn't catch a break that day.

5. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Algeria in about the 40th minute, part of the cavalcade of missed/blown/unlucky opportunities.

6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. My bad. Knew someone here could correct it if needed.

7. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Between the entire Algeria game, and minutes 35-85 of the Ghana game, we had about eleventy billion chances that went begging. It's easy to get them mixed up. ;)

8. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tru dat.

9. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not that worried about Freddy..kid can play and to some level he has proved it in Europe. He has actually improved as well. He has a right foot now...

He will most likely go out on another loan..to some other team after this season.

Lets just hope he goes to a better league.

10. tunahan

tunahan New Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    if you mean regular contenders of premier division like Galatasaray, Fenerbahce, besiktas, it is a very looong shot. Adu scored a few goals and show he has talent. But, he could not change his teams fate after all. Other than that, with the help of his manager , i believe he can be on loan for a premier division side next year.

Especially, my team Samsun would be a perfect fit for him. We play a 4-3-3 version. i believe as the righ or left side forward, he would be great. i think he needs a strong midfield to support him and keep him in action for most of the game. i dont see him as center forward though. he is not strong enough for that. Plus, one of our forwards was on loan with us this season and i dont think his team would let us have him for next season after the performance he has shown.

11. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the problem with Benfica? Why wouldn't they consider giving him a shot?

I'm relatively new here, so I don't know the history there.

12. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's been the subject of debate, but I don't think we've ever been given a definitive reason. Favorite hypotheses include (in no particular order):

He proved to be too incomplete/unfinished a player for Benfica to keep him around (incompleteness/shortcomings posited included lack of size and strength on the ball, tactical naivete, not being active enough on defense).

Others pointed to his productivity in the short number of minutes he got and feel that something else happened: for example, a coaching change caused him to fall through the cracks.

An adjunct hypothesis to "he was productive but fell through the cracks" is based on the abrupt halt to his appearances at Benfica. Were these tied to a balloon payment of some kind, which made it too expensive to pay him, under the circumstances?

These are just some of the Adu at Benfica threads:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=611167

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587862

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=662571

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1026491

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1119625

And folks, this is not an invitation to re-hash all of these. We've been through this over and over. Every reasonable permutation of the above arguments is available in previous Freddy threads. Iif I've made some errors or omissions, please feel free to correct them but any trend toward recapitulating the endless arguments in the Adu threads of old will be stopped.

13. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001

Was he the guy who said to the ref "Mann, wir Schwatten müssen doch zusammenhalten!" ?

14. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Yeah, that's him. A shame he gave up his tv career - one of the most likeable football players turned TV personalities. He should have hosted Sportschau.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    translation? I'm not running a joke through an auto-translator.

16. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    "Us darkies have to stick together" (a reference to the ref's dark uniform).

17. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    it's quite simple really.

Adu ain't no DiMaria nor David Luiz.

18. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not, but most of Benfica's players aren't quite THAT good.

But they sure have produced some gems lately. Di Maria. Ramires. Luiz. Coentrao.

That's a pretty impressive track record of identifying talent.

When are they going to spend some of that transfer money? They could be Man City of Portugal. :D

19. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Irrelevant to Adu's current situation since neither of them play for Benfica. Also almost all of Benfica's players aren't as good as those two.

20. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, guess it is just my cable provider, because they definitely are when I'm watching them.

21. mikeivan

mikeivan Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, same for me (comcast).

22. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Any news or update on the situation with Freddy? Last time I heard of him was when he scored that goal. Playing time, position he's playing, likelihood of promotion, etc.? The 2nd division of Turkey is too obscure to follow, even for me. I want to know how good the chances are of this kid making the Olympics.

23. DiscoWarrior11

Dec 27, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless the rules change (which is possible), a player can only be age-eligible for one Olympic games. Since he played in the last one, he'd have to go as an overage player. Not sure that the US would want him for that kind of role (it's usually to fill a hole by injury/lack of depth in position, or a leader... but it could be someone who is simply available)

24. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Regarding playing time, he's been sick. Before then he seemed to be regularly playing and also regularly getting subbed out (most think due to fitness or, maybe, tactics).

Some of us - like me - have been happy that he's finally being played in a position/role more similar to his U20 WC position/role.

He seems to have been playing well, when he's played. He made the league's 'Best Eleven' in 3 of his first 6 appearances, for example. Rize had scored 1 goal and earned 4 points in the 6 games before he started playing, but 8 goals and 12 points in the 6 after, so I think it's fair to say he's made some impact (3 of those goals, btw, came after he was subbed off).

One perhaps unexpected development, though, was that some teams began to man mark him. Not sure if he's figured out how to adjust yet or not.

Others may chime in, but I think promotion isn't looking all that great. The top 2 teams automatically move up. The next 4 duke it out in a mini promotion-playoff type tournament. Last I checked, Rize was 7th, on the outside looking in. So they'd have to move up in the table to make the promotion-playoff, and then win that. It's possible, but I'm not sure you'd bet on it. (The good news is that their last game is against a team that's already clinched promotion and may rest players.)

Anyone feel free to correct me on any point...

25. Karayilan

Karayilan Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Just found this section, have contacts in this league I will ask them for info and translate it for you guys, also for Altidore. :cool: