Adu: FC Copenhagen - Benfica 8/29 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by JG, Aug 28, 2007.

1. novastar400

novastar400 New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I'm wondering where he is in the pecking order right now, he's going to have to turn in some great performances for the juniores and show he's getting the whole positioning thing down, I think that's one of the major obstacles he has to get over besides the speed of the game... All in all I think this will be good for him...

2. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow...250+ posts and freddy didnt even play.

3. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    Uh, I wasn't talking about Adu. If you read the post I was responding to it was clear he was referring to the glittering youth resume of Jovan Kirovski. I was commenting on Kirovski's unfulfilled potential not Adu's.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's pretty safe to stick a fork in Jovan Kirovski, I'm thinking.

5. CorDeSang

CorDeSang Member

May 23, 2007
    Don't worry, he'll get plenty of playing time throughout the season...

First, Benfica is playing in the league, cup, league cup and Champions League group stage (then knockout rounds or UEFA cup, unless we finish last in the group :eek: ). So there will be plenty of games to be played.

Second, Nuno Assis isn't exactly a class player and it won't take Camacho too long to figure this out. Adu is the most likely alternative.

Thirdly, our players are very injury prone, so even if Camacho is not too impressed by Adu, he will be forced to play him sooner or later.

6. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Adu's Tactical abilities are poor. It will take some time for him to learn the game. I see Adu only playing if Benfica are hammering a team 3-0. Fabio Coentrao is hurt so Adu may get some playing time this weekend.

7. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Di Maria is likely to start over him. And there is the possibility of him coming in as a CAM.

8. dilmo22

dilmo22 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Yep. Di Maria earned his position as a starter. I like the dude.
    But he may not be able to handle 90 minutes again.
    That's where we could see Adu entering.
    BUT, there's still new signings to watch that just arrived. so it's difficult to really know who's going to play.

We lost 4 of possible 6 points already for the BWin league, it's no time to fool around. We need a victory!

9. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Bingo...we have a winner....the fcuks who cost the most/make the most play....the rest wait their chance.....it's the same at every club in the world. Repped.

10. Bizz

Bizz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Needham, MA
    Ahh...my bad. On Kirovski, I completely agree. Hopefully we aren't saying the same thing 8 years later on Adu.

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Amplified your post. ;)

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Can't resist looking back, sorry ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/24/AR2007122401934.html

... Benfica was vying for qualification into the Champions League -- the most prestigious club tournament on the planet -- when Adu began training, but just two weeks later he entered a qualifier against FC Copenhagen in the 37th minute and earned praise for his play and composure in that victory.

No BS smilie would do justice to that line.

13. KingAL30

KingAL30 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not being antagonistic but I wonder if you still feel the same way about his tactical abilities?

14. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    this is funny looking back at it

15. dilmo22

dilmo22 New Member

Jul 25, 2007