ADU: Benfica vs. Milan, 11/28 (Multiple Champions League Rs)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by bolotoliko, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Re: ADU: Benfica vs. Milan, 11/28 (R)

He has a lot of quality on the ball. Didnt show it today, but he is a quality player. Adu is primarily the person they want finish the goal, but DiMaria sets it up.

2. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

funny how an Italian team can barely hang on for the entire 2nd half, somehow manage to maintain the tie, and then all of a sudden with five minutes left look like they have everything exactly how they want it.

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I'm just joining this discussion at the end, but are you still living in the 20th Century? No soccer fan in a relationship can live without a DVR.

4. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC

[RESULT] Celtic win it at the death. Benfica are eliminated [/RESULT]

5. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[result] Donati scores in stoppage time and Celtic win. Looks like CL play is not in the cards for Benfica, but a shot at the UEFA Cup is still up for grabs on the last matchday.[/result]

6. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA

Most exciting Adu moment of the gane: shaking hands with Maldini after the whistle.

7. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or better yet, an understanding girlfriend. I know, I checked.

8. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC

so that would be the most exciting Adu moment of after the game.

9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I have to watch on the tv in my office, because, well, I'm in charge and what I say goes and, well, I'm in my office on the small television...
    NO DVR, no tivo, no vcr, no nothing. Upside, Premiere reruns these things for days afterwards...

10. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005

Good sign that he got on at the end, at least.

11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

this the first time youve seen DiMaria?

12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

[result]that is good news for Benfica[/result]

13. dilmo22

dilmo22 New Member

Jul 25, 2007

[result]And with a great game and great exhibition Benfica is out of the Champions League (as Celtic beat Shaktar on the extra time).
    We could’ve win this game :/
    We could also lose it, we all know Italian teams, specially Milan…

Anyway, we’ll have to beat Shaktar on their stadium to get to UEFA cup.
    Won’t be easy, specially after all this exhausting games, and the cold wether in Ukraine.[/result]

14. bolotoliko

bolotoliko New Member

Oct 28, 2007
  15. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I changed the thread title - so other games in CL play are fair game in this thread.

16. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In

kool an 18 year old american playing vs ac milan in the champions league we all should be proud of freddy ..... and u guys said he did good on those 5 minutes im proud of the kid

17. bostonf4lyf

bostonf4lyf Member

Mar 18, 2006
    wmass

how bout that perreira goal. that was sweet.

pirlos was almost as good, but that is expected from a player of his caliber

18. KingAL30

KingAL30 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any torrents or replay of this game??!!

19. Grandma's Boy

Grandma's Boy New Member

Jul 27, 2007

I've seen every Benfica Champions League game, but none of their league games. That's why I ask- because he's shown me nothing in the CL, and I didn't see him in the U-20's.

20. Grandma's Boy

Grandma's Boy New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Although to be fair, he was the one who set up Cardozo for the winning goal against Celtic, right? Still, he tried a 40 yrd shot about a minute after coming on in that game, which is representative of the impression he's left on me.

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

he is a very good prospect... probably was the best player in their last match on Saturday... he has been very good for Benfica this year... he is young and still kind of raw, but I can see him moving to a bigger club within the next 18 months... he is not terrible...

22. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown

Exactly, Di Maria is superb.

Still young and excitable in times like today, but he will get there.

He is also alot better on the left..more effiecent there with crossing and his shots.

Adu did alright when he came on for limited action, but didnt have enough time for an impact.

Benfica played superb this game, i have no complaints..we outplayed milan, and had far more scoring chances..so unlucky..

Maybe if miccoli was striker besides nuno maria..

23. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Also, bring Rui Costa back to the national team now.

The run wher ehe split oddo and bonera, then nutmegged Gattuso9 i think it was him?) into the box and unleashed a wicked shot was pure class.

Very exciting game for everyone to watch, the first benfica game this season where we showed any decent quality like the past couple years..

With some good purchases in january and the unloading of some dead weight we will get up to the heights of the past few years once more.

24. novastar400

novastar400 New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as Di Maria goes, everyone knows he plays better on the left and he showed it today, he favors his left foot too much and a few times, turned all the way around with it to go inside instead of just cutting inside, he was trying to do too much honestly, but it happens when you want to win and want to be the hero, he was trying to beat these guys with pace using his left foot on the right side of the field thus taking away his ability to shield the ball plus these weren't portuguese league defenders he was taking on at all, those distance shots of his are a little annoying in that some of them are just way too optimistic because he'll be 40 yards out with no time to set up, or to put any power on the shot, but he'll unleash it anyway, but he is a fantastic talent, and he will only get better, mark my words... Adu played well in limited action, the attack seemed like it was going through him for 5 minutes which is good in my opinion... I mean I think if he had come on atleast 20 minutes before, something might've happened... It's almost like the Benfica players are expecting somebody to score atleast.... I mean they were repeatedly passing him the ball, I was pleasantly surprised, he should be getting more minutes that's for sure, Benfica can make it to the Uefa Cup if they beat Shaktar, but they have to win b/c they are two points behind them in the table... But Shaktar will be playing for everything also as a win could put them through to the next round of the Champions League...

25. Leopejo

Leopejo New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Finland
    Yesterday's game from the other side of the fence:

Milan was not the 'real' Milan, not even the team which is struggling in Serie A. A record amount of careless plays in their own penalty area, a record amount of error passes, even by the best players.

Kakà was really bad. You could see that he just won the Golden Ball and wanted to show some spectacular plays, instead of being concrete and for the team.

Pirlo didn't almost touch the ball once in the game (apart from the goal). He had an exceptional defender stopping him for all the game: Rui Costa - the Master and the Apprentice. Thus, Rui Costa is my Man of the Match, not only for his offensive play and shots.

Benfica's main prospect in the first half was Milan's left defender Serginho, who was atrocious. An interesting what-if would have been Adu on the right wing in the first half. In the second half Maldini came to the field and Milan's defense was much better.

To be honest, I liked yesterday's Di Maria more than Adu. While he made some errors, he "looked" the most dangerous Benfica player when he had the ball at his feet (apart from Rui).

Adu didn't play bad, but five minutes is too little time to judge, specially when you leave only one defender and allow Milan a couple of almost decisive counterstrikes.

I wish Benfica luck in Ukraine. If they get to the UEFA Cup, I wish they meet Fiorentina. That would be wonderful for Rui Costa too. No good or bad feelings between Fiorentina and Nuno Gomes instead.