ADU: Benfica vs. Maritimo 10/28 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by smokarz, Oct 27, 2007.

1. MJ-inBRITAIN

MJ-inBRITAIN Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
  4. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    53 min vs. FC Copenhagen
    45 min vs. E. Amadora
    8 min vs. Sporting Lisbon
    19 min vs. Setubal
    28 min vs. Celtic
    9 min vs. Maritimo

all total...162 minutes...3 goals (2 game tying, 1 game winning), 1 should have drawn PK against Sporting Lisbon, and 1 PK conversion in a shootout.

Not bad...not bad. That puts him at 1.6666666... goals per 90 minutes.

5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

From O Jogo:
    http://www.ojogo.pt/23-251/artigo667458.asp

Also, Freddy has dedicated the goal to the victims of the fires in California:
    http://www.ojogo.pt/23-251/artigo667459.asp

6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'd really like to see his rate climb to at least two goals per 90 minutes by season's end.

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off subject a bit but does anyone think Adu for next season, should shed "Adu" on the back of his shirts. Seems like most headlines I've seen from Portugal refer to him as Freddy. Might as well go with "Freddy" on the back a la the one name Brazilians!

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Aren't you jumping the gun a bit? Aren't you one of the original signers of the 'Adu Convention?' Didn't we agree never to stray off subject for the first 300 posts?

We'll let it slide this time, but there will be no second warning! :cool:

Good question though. I bet the marketing/PR guys are already hard at work. We should probably start with a Portuguese version of his name and work from there.

Fredinho or some variant thereof: How about Freddynho?

9. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Speaking of off topic, I don't think it's in good taste to comment on Freddy's choice of companion.

10. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    At a minimum. If he can't do that he'll never feature for Benfica and should just come back to MLS. Or maybe get a loan to a League 1 outfit in Engerland.

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I was an orginal signer, dammit you're right! It's my ADD kicking in this morning as I successfully have not done jack shit at work this morning except read soccer news!

Well, there's Fred at Lyon and DCU so that's out, but I like the suggestion of Fredinho but I still contend that "Freddy" is the best. Maybe even "Frednaldo" but then again that sounds too similar to "Fonaldo" which I call the fat Ronaldo at Inter.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  13. CDSANTACLARA

CDSANTACLARA New Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Fall River, MA
    Benfica to buy Julio Batista and Saldado from Real Madrid

Looks like Adu has a new partner when Rui retires this year

14. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    you meant he should go with "Fredinho" ??? i agree, it would certainly help drive up his transfer fee....

15. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    How is Freddy any more "one name" than Adu? :confused:

16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First name. Many Portuguese, Spaniards, and Brazilians by first name, one name, or a nickname.

17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=463991

Advancing Adu Thanks Cautious Camacho

Ghanaian-American soccer sensation Freddy Adu may have landed with a little bump as he appeared to have traded benches on either side of the Atlantic but the young gun's now taking off at Benfica - and is giving thanks to one of the men who put the brakes on early overexposure...

“Camacho has helped me almost since I arrived at Benfica [Fernando Santos was Adu's original Coach in Lisbon] and I really feel that I can evolve under him. I can just thank him for giving me the right chances at the right time”, he explained to press via an interpreter after the Marítimo match (2-1).

18. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one took me a second or two.

19. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlights in case nobody posted it yet.
    [youtube]zrD_XXdh4BQ[/youtube]

On another note, what is Butt doing in Benfica as a backup keeper, he's good enough to be a starter in most Bundesliga clubs.

20. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005

Communication problems from what I have read from Camacho. He is a good goalie, but Quim can communicate with the entire back line, AND he has been good in form.

Quim did have a horrible off day for this game though...

21. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just me or does the CR have a bit of an attitude?

22. dilmo22

dilmo22 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    [FONT=&quot]He arrived this season and was unlucky for getting Quim on the best form of his career.
    (The portuguese international should be number 1 for our national team... but not with mister Scolari he ain't...)
    I imagine you haven't seen many Benfica games. He already got us several points this season with spectacular saves. The last game was his only bad (really bad) game this season. He's the starter.

Anyway, once Butt wasn't starting, his representative went to the press crying "if he wanted to be on the bench he would have signed for Real Madrid". That didn't make his position on the club any better, and certainly not with the fans who were already saying "well then fukc off!". Even booed him while warming ups and stuff. Things have calmed down now, but he'll probably leave in the winter or in the summer when he realises this isn’t germany, and he won’t start as a default position.[/FONT]

Yeah :rolleyes:, but most Bundesliga clubs aren't Benfica.

23. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good to see he is not doing the "point at imaginary watch after scoring" routine....otherwise known as the Mathis move.....

If he can be patient, and gets along with a coach who will surely (if he continues to progress) give him more chances/minutes in the future...he should be in good hand for at least a couple of years.....
    BOdes well for him and the NT picture as well.....