ADU: Benfica vs. Maritimo 10/28 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by smokarz, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, who was it?

2. bolotoliko

bolotoliko New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Camacho again on adu and di maria:

Translation: Adu and Di Maria have to know that they are growing, that they have quality, and that the future can be their's, but not yet.

About Adu's game saving goals: He's doing very well in the final minutes, but the other players are working hard 80 minutes so he can take advantage. There are other games, there's a long way until the end of the season, but if keeps working hard, he'll have more oportunities. But soccer is about roles, some players do 1 thing, others do another. Adu is starting and what he's doing, he's doing well.

http://www.record.pt/noticia.asp?id=762991&idCanal=11

Also on record.pt, there's pole where 80,1% voted that he should get more minutes.

Porto up 3-0 with 5 min to go... damn!

3. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Looks like they are dancing. Freddy is leading...Camacho wants a kiss.

4. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    I'm pretty sure he's going to be a prominent figure on the US team from here on out. We clearly lack creative quality in the midfield/forward. Clint is doing the best he can in his new role be he needs some help. I really would like to see a 4-3-2-1 with Altidore up top with Clint and Adu playing support strikers/AMs right behind. Then we can deploy the Edu - Bradley - Feilhaber midfield Bradley used in the Swiss matchup.

I really hope he and Altidore get called up to the SA match (if NYRB get knocked out of the playoffs). It's time to start developing our 2010 team, especially with the chance to play in South Africa. Adu and Altidore had a great repore on the field in Canada this Summer, and Clint seemed a bit better once Adu came on the field.

5. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This post startled me a little bit. It is very strange for me to such a reasoned, logical, and well thought out post as this.

6. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    way to go Freddy

7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to argue with that. This is going to be an interesting season watching how he handles both of his young talents. He seems to be making the right moves so far.

8. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who the ******** is Marc Burch?

Indeed!

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't pay much attention to MLS do ya? He's a starting defender for DC United ;)

10. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Just you!

15. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    Amen bruthuh!

I think that most people here in DC — who are season ticket holders and watch all/most of the games — felt that Freddy showed incredible promise and had flashes of brilliance why he was here. The "MLS failure" label seems to come from the people who didn't really see him play, game in and game out, or who got to see him in Salt Lake.

He had a bunch of spectacular goals for United and many of them came with very limited minutes, just as is the case at Benfica. He is weak in the air and weak on defense, which may slow down his chances at getting a starting role. But hopefully he can continue to work on those aspects of his game and maybe beefo up a bit.

16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    Can anybody give me Freddy's goals to minutes played ratio? It's got to be pretty damn good.

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I saw that Burch interview, too, and it was bad on several levels, even allowing for the guys egging him on and playing it for laughs.

On general principle, former/current/future teammates should avoid bad-mouthing each other. In this case, I'm sure much of what Burch (thinks he) 'knows' about Adu is second- or third-hand info, as Burch really didn't play (many? any?) MLS games with Adu. I doubt very much that they hung out together.

I'm sure Adu was immature at times - he was a kid, he's still just 18! - but you have to wonder how much the older players really reached out to him. Jealousy on their part would be natural, and the age difference would certainly have affected the manner of their socializing. He couldn't legally drink; he had to be driven around; he was making 10+ times the money many of them made.

The example that comes to my mind is that of a precocious child who is ready for college academically but not physically and emotionally. Adu had the skills but not the complete package. He still doesn't, but he seems to be heading in the right direction.

Most encouraging is that his Benfica teammates seem to have genuinely welcomed him into the team.

20. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    Can anybody give me Freddy's goals to minutes played ratio? It's got to be pretty damn good.

21. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003

22. The Soccerwiz

The Soccerwiz New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    In the US&A

23. izha

izha Member

May 24, 2002

24. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+