Adu: Benfica vs E. Amadora 09/26 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by smokarz, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Metzengerstein

Jul 29, 2007
    There is a Portuguese club in Vancouver that shows Benfica games, as Q describes.

2. Sir Nigel Sorebottom

Sep 14, 2005
    Takoma Park MD
    I can't resist--you must see this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1qrF6JJ0pQ

Butt--playing for Leverkusen--scores on a PK, then takes a triumphal run back to his own half, accepting congrats from all his teammates along the way. His trip back takes a little too much time, because as he's running back, Schalke kicks off and lobs the ball over his head into his empty goal. Really really funny.

3. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Adu Scores For Benfica

the meltdown will come if he scores from the field, no pk, no corner. maybe free kick. assisted, unassisted; definitely meltdown.

4. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    People who live in glass houses should not throw stones, I see more matches than I should be able too.

The legality was not my question at all, I just want to be clear, your saying you watched the game live via satellite yesterday right?

I knew Sport TV shut down TvTuga and a tape delay of the game was being played on RPTi. Gassman and all the other folks in Canada http://pfutebol.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2111 were forced to watch the delayed version.

The game wasn't on any of the normal international broadcast channels, sopcast, p2p, bwin ect..ect.. live that I could see.

If you are saying you watched it (if you answer that) via a "special" satellite in your home, I have no choice but to eat the crow I promised to enjoy and apologize.

Edit: I used special only to say, not normal.

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

and, is awesome.

7. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wait, a post like that without a Landon Donovan reference? :p

8. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007

nice job freddy

9. novastar400

novastar400 New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep up the good fight quaresma, we're behind you one-hundred percent...

10. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Theres Sport TV in North America as well its on Dish network. Its a rip off 20 bucks a month Canadian. I use the same illegal satellite as Quaresma, Its called freeview I believe. But mine recently got fried, so i had to watch the game on tape delay on RTPi on my cable box.
    btw its Grassman not gassman haha

11. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He must have kissed each and every knuckle beforehand.

12. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Gasman? How does he know I have gas?:D

Great movie

13. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I've always felt it's stupid to have a GK take them during the running game. Though in the case of a converted penalty, that should never, ever happen. It's one thing after a save and a quick counter, but this is just ridiculous.

14. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There are some translations of a Portuguese report in the match day thread which declared he has "tomatoes as large as the world."

I'm not kidding. World-sized tomatoes.

15. bostonf4lyf

bostonf4lyf Member

Mar 18, 2006
    wmass

hahah...that actually made me 'lol'ed. :D

16. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Could a mod change the title, please? Not even an [R] could help that one. Thanks a lot.

Oh, and way to go, Freddy!

17. Sir Nigel Sorebottom

Sep 14, 2005
    Takoma Park MD
    Well, in his defense, to the best of my knowledge that's only happened once, in the whole entire history of the world. Although I suppose that may not be much of a defense. Take that as you will.

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    There are a number of funny things about this thread, but two come immediately to mind:

1) Adu threads about 'nothing' - e.g, "Which shoe does he put on first (and what does that mean)?" often run 500-600 posts, whereas this gameday thread covering a game in which he played a key role hasn't yet hit 200.

2) Many non-Adu threads eventually become Adu threads, but the reverse - though not unheard of - is rarer. Here we've moved from Adu to GKs taking PKs.

Of course I did my part. Here's a serious soccer question. I haven't seen the video clip :)() but wouldn't a referee normally wait until a GK was back in position? Is the ref's obligation merely to wait until all players are back on their own side of the field (before allowing the other team to kickoff)?

Referees check with both GKs at the beginning of each half, but I'm not sure they are obliged to after a goal is scored. Before a PK is taken, GKs are given a lot of leeway - I've never seen a PK taken into an 'empty' net while the GK was getting a drink (or adjusting his gloves, or stalling for any reason).

Back to Adu, it's nice to know we have a player who likes to step up to the challenge and take an important PK and - more importantly - takes them well.

19. Bizz

Bizz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Needham, MA
    I wonder if Freddy has a 5 minute routine before he takes a PK?

20. Sir Nigel Sorebottom

Sep 14, 2005
    Takoma Park MD
    I recommend watching the vid. Butt's trip back from taking the PK to his own goal can best be described as languid. Just a hunch, but since it was Germany (and all that entails), the ref was prob thinking, Macht Schnell, and decided to make the kickoff into a teachable moment.

21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    A nice shoutout from US Soccer ...

http://global-ussoccer.blogspot.com/2007_09_23_archive.html#1511440759973572364

Of Note: Adu came on at halftime with Benfica losing, 1-0, and needing a goal to push the game to extra time. In a game of few chances, Benfica earned a penalty in the 90th minute, which Adu stepped up and blasted into the right hand corner. The goal tied the game at one, and sent the match to penalties. Adu took a spot kick in the shootout as well, converting it with aplomb as Benfica went on to win 5-4. The goal in regulation time was Adu’s first for the Portuguese club.

{YouTube Highlights}

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I know, yes. Unlike Campos and Meola who also played some striker (Campos I think even played for Mexico as a striker as well as a GK and I clearly remember seing Meola play striker for the MetroStars).

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One other along those lines--Brad Friedel was playing in a close game for his team Blackburn and actually scored from the run of play (very rare), as he came up into the box to help with the attack, to tie the game--then gave up the winning goal in injury time just a minute later....!

24. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he scored another one I don't know of (and please tell me if so!), I believe his goal was actually off of a corner, not during the run of play.