ADU: Benfica v Celtic 10/24 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by smokarz, Oct 23, 2007.

1. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    The only European clubs that ESPN cares about:

The big four in the EPL
    The Nou Camp All-Stars
    Galacticos United
    And, on occasion, the Old Firm boys

Otherwise, you are probably out of luck.

2. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup -- I always thought it was EPL-always, but I was shocked to see Rangers and Barca today.

3. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    I guess one of the two people at ESPN that actually knows something about soccer realized there was no realistic way of showing Arsenal-Dynamo Kiev over Rangers-Barcelona.

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    A Bola predicts Adu to be on the bench for this one, with Cardozo and Bergessio starting up top.

Maisfutbol is predicting the same thing.

5. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Maybe because Arsenal was playing Slavia Prague? Also, I saw Man U-Dynamo Kiev on ESPN Classic.

6. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Freddy Adu vs. the team that was initially rumored to be interested in him this summer.

Should be interesting.

7. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that was another thing -- there were EPL teams to choose from, but they still went with Rangers-Barca. Perhaps it was because Beasley had the chance to play (and they were playing Barca, of course).

8. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to see what games yanks feature in on US Tv just check the yanks on TV thread on main page https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=580192

now if anyone willing to pay like $8 and has good internet can buy the game on the UEFA web site and watch any game you want

9. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    Ah, sorry, brain fart there. I guess my point was, no matter what the temptation of showing an EPL game as your main attraction (since a lot more people probably get ESPN2 than get Classic), the network could not deny that Rangers-Barcelona was the game of the day.

10. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    $8 for a single match, that's pretty steep...i'll try to find a free stream...:)

11. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    IIRC, in the days when ESPN showed CL matches only on ESPN or ESPN2, the match shown in the US was dictated and was the same as the one shown in S. America. Thus, it was mostly matches involving Spanish sides or teams (mostly Italian) with many S. American players. Don't know whether this is still true nowadays.

12. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for the last couple years anyway, on ESPN2, if ANY British (before yesterday I'd have said English) teams are playing, there will be a game shown involving a British team, regardless of how good the other matchups (Barca-AC Milan, anyone?) may be.

13. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Nah, the ones shown now tend to be focused on primarily only EPL teams. At least the ones shown on Big ESPN and ESPN2.

Americans tend to keep up more with EPL, well at least from my own experience.

14. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
  15. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you get this in the United States? Also, can you order a replay if you miss it live? Damn I have to work and I can't tape it, if it aint on TV.:(

16. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I just check the site earlier, and i think you can order a replay, which is actually cheaper too, around $4?

17. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    http://www.record.pt/noticia.asp?id=762422&idCanal=11

BENFICA
    Quim, Maxi Pereira, Luisão, Katsouranis e Léo; Binya, Nuno Assis, Rui Costa e Rodríguez; Bergessio e Cardozo

Suplentes:Butt, Luís Filipe, Edcarlos, Zoro, Miguel Vítor, Romeu Ribeiro, Di María e Adu

18. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I wonder if Adu will get any time. It's usually safe to assume Di Maria will be one of the subs, so Freddy would have to be one of the other two.

19. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    that's a shame, i think both Adu and Di Maria deserved to be ahead of Assis/Bergessio.

have anyone notice that Di Maria has been coming in as a sub in the last few games? he was starting not too long ago, and i am not aware of any injuries that he might be carrying...

20. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    The games that I saw Di Maria play, he showed a lot of flash but not much substance. He would dribble around a couple defenders only to turn the ball over with a bad pass or one dribble too many. I think he needs some time to adjust his game.

21. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Hey guys, how do i get sopcast to work? I click the link and it doesnt work? Do i ahve to download another type of player?

Edit: Found this pic too on the UEFA Champ. League website.

[​IMG]

He's got a case of big eye little eye goin' on lol.

22. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    super sub it is then!!! I hope he gets some minutes and plays good...oh and a win is essential for Benfica to have any chance so lets go Benfica!:)

23. dethfire

dethfire Member

Jun 24, 2005
    The link won't work until the game starts... in approx 30min

24. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Could they have taken a worse picture if they tried?

25. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Check out that Farmers Tan on his Neck LOL