News: Adidas extends Major League Soccer sponsorship for 6 years, $700 million

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by profiled, Aug 2, 2017.

1. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  2. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Saw someone point out that this is valued more per year ($117 mil) than the current tv deal which I think is ~$90 mil.

UCFWayne, wsmaugham, Mucky and 4 others repped this.
  3. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    892777548152795136 is not a valid tweet id

wow

Revolt repped this.
  4. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Makes you really wonder what the next tv deal is going to look like.

Revolt repped this.
  5. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The per team figure covers the baseline salary budget per team (ignoring DP, TAM, etc).

TrickHog repped this.
  6. areathrasher

areathrasher Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  7. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Said it in the news thread....was 50/50 on the long FOX TV deal. I knew why they did it, stability as they expanded, but what if they started to pick up steam during it I wondered?

Well, steam has been picked up.:)

Can we renegotiate that one?;)

Making Silva's attention getting scheme of (FOUR BILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) look like the lcheap stunt we figured out it was.

Revolt, The Franchise and jayd8888 repped this.
  8. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the spread is likely even bigger. The current TV deal is split between US Soccer and MLS, with MLS getting around $70m per year of the $90

If the Adidas deal is all just for MLS by itself, it is near mind blowing.

This is FANTASTIC news for the players as this is going to play heavily into the next CBA since the TV deal was not going to be renewed before they negotiate the CBA.

Lancaster FC and profiled repped this.
  9. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It will be interesting to see how that plays out. The Don has said that they don't want more DPs but they're looking to expand TAM money (which is not part of the CBA afaik). The players, in contrast, will be focused on repositioning some of that money to bring up the minimums.

Lancaster FC and Andy_B repped this.
  10. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jesus this money level is almost hard to comprehend.

To put this in perspective the Adidas deal by itself (no ticket sales, no tv money, no other revenue) covers the entire salary cap (including GAM) in the current CBA.

=========

before the new CBA, I guess two things could happen. 1) TAM continues to rise and/or 2) the idea of kicking 1/3 of the gate to the league is revisited

11. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is correct about TAM. The owners can change that at will as it is not collectively bargained.

I think the players will be looking to both up the cap and up the league minimum.

The league will fight it tooth and nail but the players might have a chance to get the magical $100k as a min salary.

UCFWayne repped this.
  12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    My concern is MLS will sit on most of this money until the CBA, and use it in negotiations....at least I wager that is what a Kraft would do.

13. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there are already reports out today that TAM is going to increase again next year.

Luckily Kraft will only have 1/24th say on the money since this is league level money.

UCFWayne and Revolt repped this.
  14. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While that's a massive deal, I don't expect it to be a pure cash deal. It will likely include equipment (training/match gear etc.) gifts or deals, among other indirect benefits that may have inflated cash value. Either way though, it's sure going to be a hell of a lot more cash than the previous deals!

15. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I hope so, but as I said in the Tues News thread, he still carries a lot of weight. He was one of the lead negotiators last CBA. I remember a couple of articles referring to the respect he had among owners...and he has been very conservative overall. That wasn't bad during the last 20 years....needed. I just hope others have more of a say this time around.

I get keeping everyone competitive, but we don't set the prices, like the NBA, MLB and NFL can. If a few owners can't/won't spend a bit more then it is time to let a bit of separation happen IMO. I don't want super teams, or for teams to be crushed, but if teams are willing to spend on two very good mid level players while others hedge...then let them at this point.

The Franchise and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, supposedly a $2 million per team block of it about to be dropped.

Baysider and Zoidberg repped this.
  17. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Copied my response from News. More appropriate here.

It is. I have always preached slow but steady here with regards to MLS. I knew the costs, risks and have been around long enough to know better with regards to soccer here in the US.

I was disappointed with the salary cap raise after the last negotiation. They did however make more TAM/GAM (whatever the hell it is) available, and that has given squads a bit of a boost.
    MLS was still able to hold to a conservative baseline salary , which they could fall back to if things started to go south a bit. OK, I get it, but I wanted more money for at least one more 300K/400K type player. These are very important players right now.

Zero reason not to add a couple of players like that now IMO. Garber himself admitted that is what they are gonna focus on...and when a player like Schweinie complains about not enough guys getting it out there this is what I believe he means. The guys in the 400K, give or take some dollars, slots.

I'm all for building the foundation, and I have lauded MLS for sticking to their guns for the most part, but we need to see guys like Rob Kraft have less influence as times go on. He was one of the lead negotiators against the union, and he carries a lot of weight from what I understand. He is also ultra conservative. That was fine, but I hope he gets held back a bit now.
    It's time to spend more on the team.

Academies, USL teams/MLS 2 teams in place. Solid advertisement, and growing prestige names coming in at that, naming rights and local deals bearing fruit, better scouting, solid/loyal fanbases....keep moving the needle on those, but it is time guys. If I am saying it then it is time.

A couple of 400K to 600K level players. Let's do it. If a few owners can't/don't want to then that's to bad. It's time.

18. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is most certainly true but it was also true of the previous deal as well so one can still adequately compare the two deals to each other.

19. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

Looks like we already can see where some of that money is going.

Edit: I see while I was posting someone already hinted at this.

Zoidberg repped this.
  20. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Where did you hear that!? Exciting if true. A good GM/coach could change/upgrade their team pretty quickly.

Edit - Love BS...u guys are fast!

More Almiron's? Keep EPB? My goodness some posters would die if that happened.

21. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to be perfectly clear here, Robert was not involved in the previous negotiations. In fact he has very little to do with MLS in general outside of being a figure head.

Jonathan Kraft (his son) is the person who along with Clark Hunt, represented MLS during the CBA negotiations and is deeply involved in many different levels of the MLS front office.

tomásbernal, The Franchise and Zoidberg repped this.
  22. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Whoops...you are correct. Johnathon was the lead "conservative" figure however. Doesn't matter now...$2 mill is a decent chunk. I'm pretty damn happy.:)

23. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can someone remind me what the current TAM level is? It changes every year and I have lost track.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing officially a week from tomorrow (first day after the current window closes)

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also remember that the slow but steady "conservative" approach is what appealed to many of these new owners. Here we like to talk about the Hunts and Krafts (and Kroenke) being dinosaurs and the new owners wanting to do more. While that's probably true to a point they all bought in with the idea that this league was going to be fiscally responsible which means the vast majority of them are still going to choose to move slower than many posters here want.

Sachsen, AndyMead, TrickHog and 5 others repped this.