Added time in WC

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018: Refereeing' started by socal lurker, Jun 27, 2018.

1. GoneSouth

GoneSouth Member

Oct 27, 2011
    If we can add four minutes to a 15-minute extra time period like Cakir did today, why can't we add 12 minutes to a half?

2. oxwof

oxwof Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Do it more than once and broadcasters (or whoever schedules fields at the local park) will refuse to have anything to do with you.

3. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe its happened, but I've never seen anything that would hold up play that long where the match hasn't been abandoned, like Fabrice Muamba's cardiac arrest a number of years back.

4. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Sure it can--but would typically be something that involved a medical issue where a player could not be moved until they got the proper equipment (needing to bring out the neck-collar stretcher before moving, for example).

But applying a ratio from ET back to a half isn't really relevant. Many delays tend to cluster toward the end of period--so an ordinary half has much more time in which those delays are not so much expected. And a single event adds the same time whether in a half or in ET--an injury that takes two minutes to clear is two minutes in either situation, but is a much larger portion of the ET than of a half.

All that said, I think referees at the top should be more aggressive about adding time, especially to offset deliberate delaying tactics. I didn't do any actual timing, but I actually felt the time added in the ET was stingy, not generous. There seems to be a reluctance to add "too much" that makes the delaying tactics effective--despite the fact that Cakir kept looking at his watch to show he would take care of it.

5. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Another reason we don't see more realistic added time – broadcasters love soccer because it fits nicely into a two-hour window. You get more than five minutes additional time in each half and you're bumping programming.

6. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    The real issue is that soccer needs to move to off the field time-keeping like other sports, with the clock stopping any time the ball is out of play.

You'd have to add probably 10-15 minutes per half, if not more, to keep up with all the time that is actually wasted.

For example, roughly two minutes elapsed between Croatia's foul and Trippier's free kick goal while Cakir set up the wall and tried to keep everyone in place (which is pretty normal for dangerous free kicks). Did that get added on at the end of the half? Of course not. Neither did the roughly one minute that was wasted while England celebrated their goal.

7. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    First if we move to the stop the clock model,it should ONLY stop when the ref prevents a restart, not on throw ins, fouls etc, allow the quick restart. When the rest controls the restart, then you can stop it. Keep the refs ability to add time for delays. Best of both worlds.

VAR seems to add time because a VAR review takes time. There's the "delay" while VAR sees if there anything for the ref to look at, then the review by the ref, but even without the review by the ref, the "stall" while the VAR official looks, adds a minute or so before any PK, after some goals etc.

I once added 40 minutes to a 15 minute extra time, but then again we had to call an ambulance for a dislocated elbow. Gave everyone time to rest (and my legs to tighten up). We offered to both teams to go right to KFTM, but they wanted to play on.