Acosta leaving

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by superdave, Oct 29, 2019.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dizi and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    What thinking person doesn't?

3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't let the door hit you in the a$$ quitter/Acosta.

nick and jason1551 repped this.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That doesn't seem appropriate, but keep doing you.

Dizi and UnitedBorn repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoyed watching Acosta play and was a bit mad at Ben for sitting him on the bench for the stretch run (I don't think it's too far-fetched to think his absence contributed to our fall down the table).
    I thought even though he tracked back well on defense in most cases he still got the reputation here that it didn't happen, but that happens here. He definitely had his moments where he'd get upset about losing the ball (either by what he felt was a foul or by not having any options to pass from his teammates' lack of proper supporting runs) and show it but for the most pat he went back and disrupted a lot of opponent play/passing.
    He was great at occupying defenders, too bad our forward (we rarely have more than one, which I hate) or other attacking midfielders rarely were able to capitalize by being more available.
    Be interesting to see what they do to try to replace the engine in midfield & up top. I think TiTi is a good complimentary piece, not the main piece but I fear we shall see.

dadman, Dizi, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He gave up on this season and pouted. I don't have time for a petulant sulk machine.

jason1551 and yabo repped this.
  7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    How do you live?

Dizi and JRHokie repped this.
  8. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Why didn't this happen back in July? or May? or April?

9. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article did indicate that Acosta seemed aware he got benched because Olsen was going for a defense first lineup and Acosta doesn't really fit into such a scheme.

What a shame.

Dizi, Winoman and JRHokie repped this.
  10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

easily................................

11. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    It wasn't his liability on defense. It was his liability on offense.

OK - Maybe on defense too, in that whenever he would lose the ball (WHICH WAS NEARLY ALL THE TIME) he would spend the next 30 seconds pouting on the ground or scuffing the grass and looking down on the ground - and NOT recovering immediately and putting pressure back on the ball to get it back, and thus the other team was always able to bring immediate pressure back onto our (usually short-handed) defensive structure

Whenever he lost the ball, he wasn't merely a liability on offense. He was also a liability on defense.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    [​IMG]

"John says get the F up!"​

yabo and John L repped this.
  13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both of guys are leaving their teams - only one will be playing somewhere else next year

sitruc repped this.
  14. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    That article is amazing! The fact that his son is such a huge fan of DCU that he was scared to let him know they'd leave is kinda wild, and i love it.

Luciano Acosta is a player i will never forget and am extremely grateful to have had with us for a few years of entertainment. I'm grateful that the club was willing to gamble on acquiring him and allowing him to transform the team with his play from time to time. His way of playing is a risk so I never had as much a problem with turnovers or his perceived on-field frustration as most fans.

Literally the only bad thing i can say about Lucho is that he kind of "gave up" on the rest of the squad by not passing to anybody but Wayne last year. I might be wrong but it felt like Asad, Arriola and others would make runs and he'd hold onto the ball too long while trying to slip passes (almost exclusively) to Rooney.

I feared that they were limiting how dangerous the attack could be. But he was still worth having on the team and I completely lost interest when Olsen decided to bench him this year.

Acosta should've been traded last winter. They shouldve pulled the trigger on the PSG deal rather than hold out and gamble on Acosta's good will. Seems they deeply hurt the guy and their own chance at future success.

15. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't think Acosta ever gave up. I think he tried too hard.

The irony for such a creative player is that once he stopped passing to anybody besides Rooney, his play just withered on the vine.

16. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucho's reluctance to pass to anyone but Rooney led to his biggest failing, IMO: his insistence on dribbling into trouble instead of drawing defenders to himself and then passing to an uncovered teammate. Sure, he was so skillful with the ball at his feet that he could often pull it off, but more and more he just drove into a pack of defenders and lost the ball. The revered Etcheverry was somewhat like that late in his career, but Lucho is still a young player. He never learned to truly trust any teammate not named Senor Wayne.

John L and Winoman repped this.
  17. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    The idea that he’s viewing the Saudi Arabian league as a better place than DCU just leaves a bitter taste. I could have been ok with him going to a team in a big 5 league that wasn’t a relegation contender or going to a team in a 2nd tier European league that usually gets Champions League.

18. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Why would that leave a bitter taste? He's not wanted here. Literally anywhere is better.

19. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    The road to alienation is a long winding one. Have there been many more beloved players in the last decade? DeDro, and ...

And I know he poisoned his own well here. I’ve been as critical of his attitude most of last season as anyone. And he needs to own that, it was his indifferent play that got us here. All that shit last season to end up at best a lateral move which I don’t think this is if dude wanted to fulfill his ambitions. The money is real, but it’s BS if you want to say you were trying to get better.

20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

he is not wanted here because as we saw the last half of the season he did not want to be here.

Winoman repped this.
  21. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would he? The coach relegated him to the bench the last half of the season.

superdave repped this.
  22. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the PSG offer screwed us, but good. In the end we'd have been far better off accepting the offer. There are no winners here.

I think his decision to let the clock run out on his contract preceded Ben's decision to (more ore less permanently) bench him. In addition, he was playing pretty poorly. Given those two circumstances, why play the guy? :unsure: If anything, he relegated himself to the bench.

John L, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  23. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed, 90% of this is on Acosta. 10% on the United FO.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was no offer. Just some scummy hanger-on trying to...something.

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    He got a lot of minutes today for Atlas.

Winoman repped this.