Acosta for the USA

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by SabreKhan, Sep 2, 2016.

1. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kellyn Acosta played 90 minutes at left back for the USA versus St. Vincent and the Grenadines. He played well, too! Always have to keep the opponent in mind, but he was very positive and effective. Let's hope he comes off the bench (and scores the game-winner) for the game next week against T&T so that he's rested for the Colorado game.

El Chico Carmona repped this.
  2. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The best thing about Acosta playing well for the USMNT, is that it freed up Fabian Johnson to play at his best position.
    The early returns are very encouraging.

3. VivaIslamico

VivaIslamico Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was great, better than Yedlin on the other side. Good to see him make the most of his chance. I think his US future is looking good.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its an experiment that needs to be repeated against a better opponent.
    I'm not sure what a performance against SVG means..........................

5. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm not happy at all the hate that Acosta is getting in the USMNT forum.

As an FCD fan, I'm not happy that he is being played at his secondary position, or out of position according to most.
    That said, I am happy that he is getting called up, and is getting significant minutes.
    What's he supposed to do?
    Is he supposed to turn down the invite unless he is played at his preferred position?
    I'd rather have a player like Acosta, who is willing to play wherever his club and country need him, than some player who refuses to.
    The international experience that Acosta is getting now, even if it's out of position, will be invaluable in the future for the USMNT, when he is needed to replace the incumbents at CDM.

6. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 SabreKhan, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    I didn't really notice a lot of hate for the player. There was some grumbling about where he was playing, but not about his skill set.

Acosta rode the pine for the USA/T&T match, so he should be rested and ready for this weekend.

In related playing-time news yesterday:
    Aubrey David played 90 minutes for T&T.
    Maynor Figueroa played 90 minutes for Honduras at the Azteca.
    Carlos Gruezo played the second half for Ecuador.
    Akindele did not play for Canada.

All of them will have to travel back to Dallas, and Gruezo will be coming from South America. The only one I'd expect to completely sit out this weekend due to rest issues would be Figueroa. The smog and altitude in Mexico City have got to take an extra toll. Gruezo also played at altitude, but it was only for 45 minutes.

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the ting to consider with Acosta is that there are a bunch of really good young central midfielders coming up that are just a bit younger than he is. Left back is always a hole so he has a much better chance to get callups for years at left back than at his better position of CM.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Both Acosta and Zimmerman called up to the US WCQers against Panama and Honduras.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...yers-for-honduras-panama-world-cup-qualifiers

U.S. MNT Roster by Position (Club; WCQ Caps/Goals)

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Middlesbrough/ENG; 13/0), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids; 33/0), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (8): DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo; 33/6), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin/GER; 2/0), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/ENG; 19/2), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca/MEX; 12/0), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana/MEX; 6/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 2/0), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna/MEX; 0/0), Walker Zimmerman (FC Dallas; 0/0)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; 1/0), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union; 6/0, Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 31/5), Jermaine Jones (LA Galaxy; 16/0), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 15/1), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 0/0), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers; 3/0), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 5/2)

FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 33/16), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC; 36/13), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 3/0), Bobby Wood (Hamburg/GER; 8/3)

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good luck, don't get hurt!

10. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I hope they see some playing time.

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really hard to tell if they will. If Cameron plays right back it would be Zimmerman or Gonzalez with Gonzalez having more experience and having played for years with the coach. I could see Acosta starting next to Bradley in the first game and Jones out with yellow card accumulation for that game. He would be in contention with Nagbe, Lleget, Dax and Bedoya depending on formation and role. I think he'd definitely be my pick in a 4-2-3-1 but maybe not some other formations.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't think either will start in these games, and Acosta has a chance to come off the bench.

What's clear is that we better be prepared to be without Acosta/Zimmerman for much of this season for the Gold Cup and WCQers.

Did we do enough to sign a backup CB? Can Guillen hack it at the MLS level? Are we comfortable with moving Figueroa over to CB and starting Chala at LB? I don't know.

If Gruezo also gets called up to Ecuador, are we comfortable starting Ulloa/Hayes in MLS play? Or Cermeno?
    There's at least a chance we won't have Pomykol this summer for the U20 World Cup.

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that would mean FCD is finally a big boy by losing major players. Other teams have dealt with it for years and their stars are able to turn it up a notch in the playoffs and ours haven't as much yet. Guillen and Figueroa are decent backups as long as Hedges is there. Might take a game or two to settle together. Could still sign a backup but Guillen needs playing time to grow. Don't forhet Hollingshead will be back eventually and I would say he or Guillen are better left backs than Chala. I think Chala will start getting minutes at left mid while they work on his defense and everything else with him.