ACN 2010: Final

Discussion in 'Africa' started by kwame_tdot, Jan 28, 2010.

1. ZIAD

ZIAD Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Dude you sound like a sore loser. Yes Essien is one of the best players in the world, and ofcourse Ghana missed him. But Egypt also missed their most influential player in Abu Trika who has been their center of attack over the years. The fact is, Egypt are crap at qualifying, but are masters in the knock out stages.

2. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    guys this debate is really stupid, I'm sorry. How can anybody try to sell the argument that a team who won the last 3 ANC's is not the best team in Africa. Clearly they are. We can argue if ands or buts but the fact is Egypt was also missing their top midfielder and top striker. Yes I would have loved to see a full strength Ghana and Egypt go at it, and yes Ghana could have won, but fact is even when they hosted the tournament 2 years ago they didn't even make the final. Egypt have wiped the floor with every major African side, (with the exception of Ghana) Nigeria 3-1, Algeria 4-0 & 2-0, CIV 4-1 & 3-1, Cameroon 4-2 & 1-0, There is no other African side who has easily had their way with the cream of Africa. Egypt is the best side no doubt, give credit where it is due and stop the silly arguments.

3. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Some wrong results there - 2006-2010:
    Nigeria 3:1
    Algeria 4:0 (this is the first loss by ALgeria in the history of AFCoN to Egypt)
    CIV 4-1, 3:1, 0:0 (ended in penalties, which according to FIFA regulations is a draw)
    Cameroon 4:2, 1:0, 3:1

In 2006 they won after some VERY beneficial refereeing.

In 2008 Ghana lost in the semis to Kameni and Song who had the games of their lives. In my opinion they played the best football at that tournament - won 6, lost 1 (1:0 with an against the run of play Cameroon goal). Egypt lucked out as Alex Song was unable to play (and he had the tournament of his life then). Ghana was the best team at 2008, but had bad luck in one game.

In 2010 the depletion of Ghana is far greater than that of Egypt. Yes, they missed 3 important players (Amr Zaki, Aboutrika, Barakat), but they still were in tact where it matters. No Amr Zaki, but they had a Zidan (and don't mention Mido who is a has-been... I might as well say that Ghana weren't playing with Abedi Pele...). Ghana were missing Mensah, Paintsil, Appiah, Muntari, Essien, Kingston and Annan, Gyan, Sarpei and Addo were all nursing injuries. It doesn't make it equal. (And yeah... the refs liked Egypt again in 2010... surprise surprise... they know whom to pay?)

So - I stick with what I say. Ghana is the best team in Africa. Egypt is only good on AFCoN, when they get 1 month of camp, which no other team can allow itself to have. WIthout that they are weak...

4. MarocFAN

MarocFAN Member

May 18, 2006
    Morocco/Germany
    I will recognize egypt as the best team only if they win against morocco which they coudn't do in the last 20 years:D
    At the moment Ghana is the best Team. A young and disciplined team.

5. wiswis

wiswis Member

Mar 27, 2004
    Please provide facts since you are speaking of accuracy, Alex Song played in this game and he was humiliated by Zidan "one on one" in the most famous seen in that final when Zidan was able to leave Song on the ground (No foul don't start talking about Referee now) and he made the assist to Abut Trika for the only goal in that game. This was Song at his peak!! They are still making jokes about that in Egypt till today. Song was then replaced because he was too tired after that play.:D

6. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Egypt had also beaten Cameroon in the group opener (4-2) back in 2008, only to do it again in the final.

7. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Yeah right... bad memory, dude... It would be very hard for Zidan and Aboutrika to run Song into the ground... unless your speaking of the fact that Alex Song was sitting on the ground on the sidelines after being subbed at the beginning of the first half (16 minute to be exact) due to injury... The goal your talking about was scored in the 77 minute. And it was RIGOBERT SONG you were talking about, not Alex.

He started the game with his knee in massive armour, but within a couple of minutes it was evident that Alex Song is not capable of playing any further.

Confirmation: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/10/sports/10iht-soccercanfinal10.9911024.html

"Pfister was forced into an early change when Alexandre Song Bilong limped off in the 16th and was replaced by Augustin Binya. Song Bilong had strapping on his right thigh."

That I believe was an honest mistake, but this is an outright lie:
    Alex Song hadn't been on the field for over 60 minutes by then. And Rigobert Song played the whole match.

I wonder if you'll admit you were wrong...

---

Now back to the subject: Egypt lucked out and played both matches against Cameroon without the Indominatable Lions best player at the tournament on field. The same player that almost singlehandedly pushed Cameroon into the final and in my opinion was the best player at the tournament. The same player that spilt his guts out in the semi-final to give Cameroon the win over Ghana, hence not being able to play in the final.

8. wiswis

wiswis Member

Mar 27, 2004
    So you did not get the joke about being sidlelined after the goal. Sorry it was not Alex Song but it was the other Song. Any way, My point is that Song was not able to do anything but to sit on the ground after batteling Zidan. Abu trika was far waiting for Zidan to finish his job.
    Next time to have a better matchup, we will play Alex Song against...... let's pick Zidan (just for fun) one on one for 90minutes, and then whoever wins we can say that Cameroon beat Egypt or vise versa. hmmmm I feel I'm talking about the David's cup in Tennis for some reason.

9. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I know R. Song was not able to do anything. But I wasn't talking about R. Song. So your point is a moot point.

A. Song was Cameroon's key player in 2008 and he did not play in both Egypt matches.