ACC 2019

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Kudos to UCLA!
    They came, they saw, they kicked butt!
    Good luck going forward!

Crazyhorse repped this.
  2. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Very difficult to imagine unc winning the title if Emily Fox cannot play. It will take near perfect defense to beat either Stanford or UCLA , as unc needed vs Stanford in 2009 final and 2012 semis .

Soccerhunter repped this.
  3. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Agree. Emily certainly has been the best ball control player on the team and can go 1v1 with any female defender in the world, (in my opinion). Parts of her game need improvement such as shooting, overall game tactics, and sometimes better long field vision, but she is in Tobin's league dribbling and controlling the ball and has speed to keep up or out run all but the true track stars. Example: last night she blew by three defenders at short range and when she took her shot 5 defenders were converging to try to stop her (leaving Ru completely wide open on the left side.)

In the last month it has been mostly Emily who has removed the ball from pressure and got it back into the offensive flow. She covered her assigned right back position chasing down runners and usually dispossessing them before they reached the corner. And she also functioned as a midfielder drawing the defense and making diagonal runs into the middle before passing off to cutting forwards. Additionally, she has obviously been given the freedom to go solve defensive problems on the other side of the field with her skills and speed and still get back to cover the defensive right side. Her motor is such that she can run hard for 110 minutes if necessary.

So... if she can't play, it leaves a huge hole to fill. Consequently the UNC coaching staff will really need to work hard these next three days before departing for San Jose to devise some way to compensate for her loss.

4. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    When will we get this info?!!!

5. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I suspect it will know on game day next Friday when it can been seen who is warming up. Presumably, this is for reasons of not wanting to tip off the other three teams so that they can do more specific game planning.

6. Chrasts67

Chrasts67 New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 9, 2017
    Gotta get by Wash St first. They're peaking at the right time and will be a tactical challenge for UNC.
    Fox is done for the season. Best case scenario is a knee sprain. Worst case is an acl tear. Have to see what the MRI reveals.

7. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    yes , not taking washington st for granted . just saying the ultimate goal is much in doubt . never heard anson sound so deflated after a win .

8. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    is there a clip somewhere of the UNC injury? Thx

9. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I can’t screen shot it but basically a through played into the box and Fox attempted to shield and got caught up in really marginal turf. Little to no contact from Penelope Hocking who looked seriously concerned for her U 20 teammate

10. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Peaking? maybe. Or maybe just meeting teams at the right time

11. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    ironinc. when UVA fans felt the same way.....

12. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I took a video on my phone. How do I post here? It did not at all look like a dirty play to me. I thought Hocking looked indifferent though to Fox, thought she was maybe arguing for a call. Never saw her show concern. That’s fine though, just reacting to your comment, the play seemed clean to me. Shoulder to shoulder,. Legs tangled. Nothing malicious at all. Such a shame that one of the top players in the country will be out for the college cup.

13. Chrasts67

Chrasts67 New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 9, 2017
    Will be out longer. Torn acl.

14. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    This happened to Kristina Lynch from FSU during the 2nd round of the NCAA last year.
    She came back this year, but was obviously no where near full speed.
    It' horrible timing. She misses this year's college cup and very likely (recovery varies) misses part or all of next season.

So Sorry for her!

15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is true about Fox's injury, she also misses the upcoming USWNT camp for potential new players. Another bummer.

16. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    True. Emily already has three caps with the full national team (2 starts), but that was with Jill and her assistants. This year it's a new coach with a new eye and Emily undoubtedly wanted to show well as making the national team has always been a top goal.

17. Tigmon

Tigmon Member

Liverpool
    United States
    Aug 5, 2019

2019 United Soccer Coaches NCAA Division I Women’s All-Atlantic Region

First Team
    Amanda McGlynn Sr. Virginia Tech Emily Fox Jr. University of North Carolina
    Malia Berkely Jr. Florida State University
    Maycee Bell Fr. University of North Carolina
    Courtney Petersen Sr. University of Virginia
    BriannaP So. University of North Carolina
    Emina Ekic Jr. University of Louisville
    Dayna Castellanos Sr. Florida State University
    Tziarra King Sr. North Carolina State University
    Alessia Russo Jr. University of North Carolina
    Meghan McCool Sr. University of Virginia
    Madie Gibson Sr. Monmouth University
    Brooklyn Rivers Sr. University of Louisville
    Alyssa Francese Jr. Stony Brook University

Second Team
    Brooke Heinsohn Jr. Duke University
    Zoe Morse Sr. University of Virginia
    Kimmy Chavkin Jr. Stony Brook University
    Anna Cronin Jr. University of Hartford
    Jess Johnson Sr. Monmouth University
    Jaelin Howell So. Florida State University
    Taryn Torres Jr. University of Virginia
    Sierra Stone Sr. University of Hartford
    Meghan Cavanaugh Jr. University at Albany
    Ella Stevens Sr. Duke University
    Eva Hurm Jr. University of Notre Dame
    Ally Reynolds Sr. University of New Hampshire
    Jada Colbert So. University at Albany
    Stephanie Tsangaris So. Fairfield University

Third Team
    Laurel Ivory Jr. University of Virginia
    Sofia Manner Jr. Stony Brook University
    Lulu Guttenberger So. North Carolina State University
    Delaney Graham So. Duke University
    Gabby Diodati Jr. Fairfield University
    Yujie Zhao So. Florida State University
    Lexie Palladino Sr. Monmouth University
    Sammi Fisher Jr. University of Notre Dame
    Emily Gray So. Virginia Tech
    Hal Hershfelt Fr. Clemson University
    Olivia Vaughn Sr. Boston College
    Amanda West Fr. University of Pittsburgh
    Jameese Joseph Fr. North Carolina State
    Sam Smith Fr. Boston College

18. nocarters

nocarters Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Georgia
    Thanks Tigmon. Interesting, at least to me, how little love Lotte Wubben-Moy (UNC) gets. I saw most of UNC's home games and she was a solid, consistent, defensive stud the entire year. Anytime someone got past Bell or Dorsey, it seemed like she was there to stop the run.

Tigmon repped this.
  19. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    All ACC 2nd team. She gets plenty of love. The USC teams are interesting to say the least. They feel like everyone gets to participate. They are a poor reflection on who had great seasons. I guess they dont want to have all the players from the same handful of schools.

I wish they would actually publish who voted for who.

20. Tigmon

Tigmon Member

Liverpool
    United States
    Aug 5, 2019
    Ouch. I guess your directing that at players you may have never watched play in "lesser" deemed conferences or less noteworthy teams by your standard. I am not a coach, but I am guessing by the list, great talent is everywhere, no matter the school choice.

21. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    not at all. Do you think Jameese Joseph is better than say Alexa Spanstraa? Or Eva Hurm better than Diana Ordonez ? I dont. Has nothing to do with lesser deemed conferences. There is a reason that some kids are where they are. They may well have had great seasons in the conferences they are in, but these things should be absolute, not relative.

Im directing it at the coaches who clearly play a game at the end of the year. I dont see how a first team all ACC player can be "worse" than kids from lesser conferences when it comes to the United Soccer Coaches.

Go look at the roster for the upcoming U20 camp. Where is West? Or Joseph ? Or Smith?