ACC 2017

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Carolina92, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #26 Cliveworshipper, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017

It’s not listed in the FIFA database as a currently certified field for either a FIFA recommended or FIFA pro category.

Sometimes that listing takes a month or two. The three universities listed Are Colgate, Monmouth, and Northwestern. That leaves several schools out.

Interestingly, Providence Park and Century Link field are listed twice, each with two different products.

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've done some research on this. Since 2011, the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament has had one game, so there have been 32 game sites that weekend. The 16 seeded teams each get a home game, assuming they bid to have one and have a qualifying field. Of the other 16 games -- a total of 112 games over the 7 years from 2011 to 2017 -- 102 of them have been at the home of the team with the better RPI (unless the team with the better RPI either did not bid or did not have a qualifying field). 10 have been at the home of the team with the poorer RPI.

Here's what I've learned, as a rough sketch of the process -- I'm sure it's not quite as clean as I'll describe it. On decision weekend, the Women's Soccer Committee starts with the seeding and then works "outward" from there. So, once they've identified the seeds, they identify the next set of teams that are "sure things" to get in. They go through a good part of this process on Saturday, in other words before completion of most of the conference tournaments, although I'm sure they have to leave some wiggle room depending on conference tournament results. For the "sure things," they also identify which they think have earned the right to host first round games, of which there are 16 that won't involve seeded teams. Once they have identified these teams -- essentially, teams 17 to 32 in the Committee's rankings -- they place them in the bracket in positions consistent with the rule that teams from the same conference can't face each other in either of the first two rounds. Once they've done this and have completed their selection of the remaining at large teams, they place all the teams in Committee's 33 to 64 positions into the bracket so as to minimize travel costs. They do this without regard to where those teams fit in the 33 to 64 positions, in other words 33 could play 34 if that would be the least expensive way to do it in terms of travel costs.

As history shows, in most cases this results, for pairings of unseeded teams, in the team with the better RPI being the host. But, it doesn't always happen that way to the tune of 10 match-ups in 7 years or roughly one and a half games per year.

3. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Taylor Ziemer is not on UVA’s 2018 roster, and her Instagram says “currently a college dropout”. Wow! Anyone know why she’s not playing soccer anymore?

4. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Taking some time off. Dont know where she'll surface but being a California kid she might be heading closer to home

mpr2477 repped this.
  5. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    "Taking time off"? Seems a very polite way of saying that she might be transferring. I wonder if it is a soccer/team/position/coach thing or something else. Isn't she a (rising) junior? Not so great to transfer halfway through your college career.

6. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Dim more surprised she didn’t have anything set up so sh e didn’t skip a year of play. She was just in a u 19 camp a month ago. Very talented and underrated player

7. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    If she ends up at Southern Cal then I will start to wonder about suspicious activity at that school, which seems to be the beneficiary of a surprising number of talented transfers every year. This year So. Cal has got four transfers to its roster--including two from Notre Dame (one being Natalie Jacobs, who I think was the best player on the Irish, or certainly one of them), a player named Hyatt from UNC whom I think is considered quite good and a defender from Florida.

8. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I can say with some relative certainty she is not coming to USC. my guess would be Cal

9. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone should start a 2018 ACC thread.