Academic Year 19/20 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Lord Kril, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    I haven't seen anything released yet, do you know when it will be official? A player from my club just committed there and she has not been informed of a coaching change.

2. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    Can't 100% confirm it but was told by a D1 college coach that it was open but my guess is it is not official yet?

3. Lovethegsme

Lovethegsme New Member

Nov 8, 2018
    With all these openings what do the schools do with NLI's? if girls sign them can they get out once a new coach is in place

4. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    You sign with the school, not the coach! However, some ADs are willing to let kids out, but most will not allow a program to be gutted until a new coach is in place and the players have a chance to work with the new coach.

5. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    No athletic director should be sacking a coach a week or two after signing day--that is outrageous. A decision to sack a coach ought to be made well before signing day, to be fair to the players who'd committed to the outgoing coach. Doing that could jeopardize the signing class, to be sure--you might lose some players--but to me it's the right thing to do.

6. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    that would mean you are firing the coach in the middle of their season. . . signing day was moved from February to November. pretty much no way around it now.

USsoccerguy repped this.
  7. PepKlopp

PepKlopp New Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Nov 26, 2019
    Many good DII coaches out there. Hosler at Grand Valley has won over a hundred games in 7 years and Brian Bahl at Mankato is always pushing the top 5. James Stone at Bemidj made something out of that program. Lewis Theobald at Central Missouri has created a very high level program with 200+ wins since he took charge. Wonder if any of them would make the leap if offered the right gig.

8. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #334 PoetryInMotion, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Hard to see it, unless they really want to scratch the itch, or it’s a power 5 or $$$ job (see: Dilanni at Iowa). Especially since most of the ones you mention are set up at “division one” schools that happen to be disguising themselves as division two institutions (not to take anything away from ANY of those coaches—some of them are literally division one in hockey like Mankato or division 1 in other sports like Dallas Baptist in baseball—or just high revenue, high enrollment, good location etc). Not to mention they can legitimately compete for a national title every year...you’re not getting that at a MAC school, for example, and a lot of these coaches are so established that they aren’t going to jump to make another jump to P5. They’ll stay where they are and if they get the chance they’ll go, and if not they’ll stay where they are and be in the National Tournament almost every year.

A little different at Bemidji though. Like the coach at Minot who made the jump, maybe the coach would there too. Less set up to win then some other d2 schools you mentioned like Mankato, GVSU, UCM.

That being said, I think there are many fabulous coaches at lower levels, and more mid-major ads, IMHO, should look at hiring d2/d3 coaches for their rebuilds from hard to win at schools or that have been successful over a period of time like you’ve mentioned, rather than d1 assistants who’ve never had to grind like that or had a head job. Bucholz at Toledo has had success, came from d2/NAIA background, and the bowling green coach has been a slam dunk since leaving d3, just to name a few here in the Midwest. The former CMU coach didn’t really have sustained success when he came from d2 and he found himself out of a job and back at a d2.

But, to your initial post, I do think they all would take a look at a P5 job if offered, but it’s hard to see them give up their situations for mid-major that comes with less job security, more pressure, less notoriety or chance at a title year in and year out, more competition/even playing field, and only modestly more money.

ping repped this.
  9. ping

ping Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I am kind of surprised by that but also not. They had some terrible 1 and 2 win seasons a few years ago and never had a winning season under her. In her defense, I know they weren't fully funded so that had to be tough. I think she also has a young child or two so that could be a factor.

Wonder if Declan will take over or if they go a different direction?

10. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019

ping repped this.
  11. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

She stepped down for family reasons not because of record.

12. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I don’t see these coaches getting a Power Five as the recruiting is completely different but a mid major I’m sure there are lots of great DII coaches out there.

In all fairness outside of this year Dilanni hasn’t done well at Iowa; I remember him being in the hot seat the last couple years until he got a new deal. I think the next few years if they sustain their current success then he’s done a good job but one good year isn’t a demonstration of success. He did well at the DII level but GVSU runs itself the program hasn’t dropped since Dilanni left.

13. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dilanni's been gone from GVSU for 6 years, I'd wait two more before definitely concluding that GVSU runs itself. I say this based on my experience following the University of Portland. For seven years after Clive Charles' death, Garrett Smith kept the Pilots near the top. Then, beginning in his year eight, the Pilots began to plummet and as of the end of 2017 were in the disaster zone. It was during the period beginning in year eight that it became apparent that U of P couldn't run itself and we began seeing Smith's true abilities as a coach. That's led me to believe that a really good coach -- which Dilanni most definitely was at the DII level -- leaves a legacy that can last quite a long time, longer than one might expect.

14. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Totally hear your argument here, but I think it’s safe to say GVSU runs itself on a ton of different levels. Enrollment greater than 20k, tuition less than 17k, they’ve won the directors cup nationally for D2 on several occasions, fully funded, multiple sports have won nattys or participate in national title, location doesn’t suck, etc.

I’m not saying the current coach or previous aren’t good at what they do, but it’s harder to win at 99% of other D2 schools than it is at GVSU. Sustained success is still hard to achieve, but you have to be really be clueless/inept at player eval or try not to be successful to not win at a place like that. It’s arguably the 3rd choice in the state after MI/MSU.

15. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone! No big nuggets for info, but SUU down to 4 finalists, current assistant, interim is one of those four, community college coach in state is another. Heard from verbally committed recruit who keeps in touch that they are making their decision fairly soon. Anyone got any other info on potential candidates or places that are open right now

16. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Got to think Rhode Island is on the hot seat. 7 wins in 3 seasons. Anyone know the contract length of the coach there?

Any news on Marquette or Marshall?

soccerman1974 repped this.
  17. Louisvillereferee

Real Madrid
    United States
    Apr 11, 2017
    I see no evidence at all of the Kentucky coach being fired although he should be !!!

18. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    GVSU’s roster is loaded with D1 talent. They will continue to do well in D2. I know first hand watching my daughter get recruited that Hosler and his staff do a great job of playing the “come play D1 level soccer and win championships” card. Many of their players turned down D1 offers to play for him at Grand Valley. In the end my daughter chose the MidMajor route, but GVSU is a great school with fantastic athletic complexes and tradition. All of that said, he has a pretty good gig there and I don’t see him making the jump to D1.

PepKlopp repped this.
  19. PepKlopp

PepKlopp New Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Nov 26, 2019
    Any word on Iowa State?

Filled
    Georgia Southern - Josh Moffet (interim in 2019)

Vacant
    Louisiana Monroe
    Iowa State
    Oklahoma
    Southern Utah
    Temple
    Washington
    Marquette
    Marshall
    LSU (interim)
    Western Michigan (interim)
    Robert Morris
    Evansville
    ETSU
    UNLV
    Grand Canyon
    Stephen F. Austin
    St. Mary's College
    Colgate
    Long Island University
    Loyola Marymount
    Yale[/QUOTE]

20. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LSU is looking female. Have already had at least a couple on campus...one would be a REALLY good hire IMO but she’s pretty happy with her other gig, so I’m not sure if it’ll happen or not. The other would be a bit of a shocker but may also be a good one long term. I’m sure there may be others involved.

ULM is a bit of a mess—recently moved their soccer facility to a less desirable location on campus, the pay is ~45 and they’re asking candidates if they’re capable of fundraising a good chunk of money yearly to help with the budget. Not fully funded, either. A few finalists/interviewees have backed out but I still expect this to get hired in the next few weeks, and expect them to hire a d1 assistant, but they’ve also talked to a couple of club coaches in the region. I think they’ll end up making a hire without going back through their applicant pool if they can get someone to say yes.

I would think we will start seeing some hires made this week, and if not, for sure the week after.

21. PowerSoccer

PowerSoccer Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Some good jobs open. Any update on LSU, Colgate, Temple or the Pac 12 schools? Who’s in the mix?

22. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    Colgate doing interviews this week. Strange search. D3 head coach, local Ivy Head Coach, Big 10 Assistant, A10 Assistant, Sec Assistant, Ivy Assistant

23. PowerSoccer

PowerSoccer Member

Dec 3, 2019
    You seem to be in the know. Assuming Amherst coach is the leading person for that job as someone who’s had success and a Colgate alum. Interesting collection of the others.

24. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That is an interesting mix for Colgate. Would assume Jen Hughes from Amherst would have been on the list. The Ivy asst is one of the Brown assistants. Local Ivy head coach would mean Cornell, which would be a poor choice as he has done badly there. Would they look at Kelly Kuss? She is another Colgate alum and did well early at Bucknell and obviously knows the Patriot League.

It did come up at a recent recruiting event that at Colgate’s postseason game Brawn subbed a kid and they got into an argument and she pushed the kid. A Colgate administrator was there and saw the whole thing. So makes sense why they let her go and did so quickly. Bad way to end what was otherwise a great 29-year career as Brawn did fabulous there.