Academic Year 19/20 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Lord Kril, Aug 7, 2019.

1. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What I want to to know is how did this stay underground as long as it did? Did Ed Matz at UMass, Leslie Gallimore at Washington, Shawn Heilbron AD at Stony Brook, and Vicky Chun AD at Yale know none of this all that time? Just find it odd that an independent student run newspaper a decade after these incidents is the source to report this at this time. Awful look for Yale, you took care of a bribery scandal and then hired a person with a new type of scandal.
    Let's stop calling this an infatuation between an older man and younger woman. This was an abuse of power by an older coach to younger players and obviously has had a lasting detrimental effect on those women.

Fitballer, ytrs and GKparent2019 repped this.
  2. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I’m going to assume the next head coach at Yale will be a female after all of this. I do think it is weird that it took a decade for all of this to come out though. Why now?

3. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I don't see anyone here viewing the situation as simply an infatuation. No one is using that word. It is very clear that what happened was completely inappropriate to if not illegal and would have deserved being immediately dismissed if it had been known sooner.

I'll assume for the moment that you are somehow interpreting what I said in my post above as characterizing it as an "infatuation." I am not. What I am saying is that If you place a 20 something male in a coaching position of younger females these kinds of situations WILL naturally happen (sooner or later here and there.) This does not mean that they should be allowed to happen or condoned. Nor does it mean that there should not be consequences when they do.

I then go on to say that IF one hires to create such a situation , there should be serious supervision and clear guidelines. (and BTW, such supervision and guidelines should be in place for any aged coach male, female, or otherwise.) This is serious business that all Schools and ADs should take very seriously because these damaging incidents WILL happen from time to time, but especially, in my opinion when you mix in younger males in positions of authority who biologically have less impulse control.

So, just because I am saying that such behavior is going to happen and is driven in part by natural biological factors, that does NOT mean that I am condoning it!

4. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Just a guess but perhaps these women felt more empowered to come forward now because they are older and stronger. Maybe they felt a big of disgust that he was the coach at Yale. His career was soaring despite his past behavior. So they wanted the truth to be told. I imagine seeing that he is married to a former player also gave them pause. I do not know when he started dating his wife. That is the million dollar question, but it had to give these women pause when they became aware of it.

I do not know that these women reached out to the Yale paper. My speculation is just that.

It is interesting that the statement from Yale says these reports came to them on Monday and he was out by Wednesday. That would 'imply' to me that he admitted to it. If he denied it, wouldn't there be a more lengthy investigation?

5. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    It IS odd that it took a decade for this scandal to be uncovered--but I suspect that the young women whom the coach took advantage of at New Haven wanted to put it all behind them after the he left and took other jobs. Then, not long ago, he's suddenly back in New Haven, coaching at Yale, and that may have got some of his former New Haven players talking and upset, thus setting in motion this act of pay-back.

I agree that if a school hires a young (youngish) male to coach (as an assistant or head) athletic females age 18-21, you could be asking for trouble. It doesn't mean there will be trouble--most coaches (regardless of age) are smart and mature enough to act professionally--but it's situation with some implicit risks. Indeed, an assistant softball coach at Auburn AND his father--who was the head coach (and one of the most respected college softball coaches in the country)--were sacked a couple of years ago for exactly this situation: The assistant started having a sexual relationship with one of the players; other players became aware of the situation, which created turmoil, and I believe the father/head coach knew what was going on and did nothing. Eventually, other members of the team went to athletic department officials and complained, and the whole thing blew up and father and son were marched to the French razor--heads rolled, as they should have. I believe the son/assistant had also engaged in relations with a player at his previous job in Arizona, where he also coached with his father--a situation that Auburn did not uncover before hiring the father/son coaching team.

Likewise, three years ago, the 20-some-year-old son a famous basketball coach was hired as head coach of a Div. 1 school, and within a short period of time he became involved with one of his player--and she became pregnant. Word got out, the young coach was sacked and his once promising coaching career has ended--he's not coaching. I'd bet there are more than a few similar situations that have escaped public notice for one reason or another.

Soccerhunter repped this.
  6. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
  7. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017

He will be out sooner than later. That investigation will always be hanging over his head next time he puts a foot wrong I’m guessing he will be gone.

8. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    I agree, why now, and why so long? I bet this is making a certain former University of Miami coach sweat.

9. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    The above saying that only men do this or its natural, that's a fairly sexist comment. In my experience coaching for some time, I had a head coach (female) I worked under let go for dating a player, and now two assistants (both females) doing inappropriate relationships with females on the team and had to let both go as soon as we found out. Its not just males that do it. Its putting male or female in a position of trust, they get to know and care about each other, work with them one on one, and bond, and then emotions take over. Its a dynamic and complex situation. Coaching can be a very lonely profession of isolationism sometimes. Doesn't justify at all what happened as I was pissed when I found out about it and had to dismiss those involved. But it happens more than you would think I imagine. I see it a lot on campuses I've been on with coaches of other sports dating players on the teams, for example mens basketball coaches dating women's basketball players when they travel together and on the road build inappropriate relationships. Same, female bball coaches dating other female athletes at that college.

10. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Or they could just date from the 99.999999% of the population over whom they *never* enjoyed a power imbalance.

Fitballer and Almost done repped this.
  11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basic rule: Don't touch the athletes. Simple and easy to understand. Follow the rule and there will be no problems.

NilamCA, ping, Vadbill7 and 2 others repped this.
  12. Almost done

Almost done Member

Juventus
    United States
    Oct 4, 2019
    I thought this exact same thing and I am glad someone beat me to the post.

Fitballer repped this.
  13. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    Should this topic be moved to a new thread?

-Saw this on another site.

Okay. So now everyone is now lawyering up for battle- Faherty, Yale, UNH and the former players(waiting for Gloria Alred to hold her first news conference). Faherty is denying anything happened and the former players have their story. Classic "he said, they said."

Faherty's career is ruined and he needs to try and save it. He feels wrongful termination and wants Yale to pay the remainder of his contract. So he certainly has something to fight for.

The player's (from their perspective) were placed in a hostile work environment and will likely go after UNH for facilitating the coaches predatorial practices. So UNH has to do its own investigation in order to defend their position - if UNH finds no wrongdoing, it will help them and Faherty. If they find wrongdoing, it opens UNH up to lawsuits and clearly sinks any defense Faherty had.

This will be interesting.

Interesting twist: He apparently married (and has a child) with one of his former players. Perhaps there was a player who thought she was going to be Mrs. Faherty and lost out. Woman scorned alert!

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman scorned" - William Congreve

Footyballs repped this.
  14. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    yes I would love to see this topic moved to a new thread.

15. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #315 Soccerhunter, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Your post with examples is very good! However I respectfully disagree that this discussion is that "only" young men are involved and is an example of sexism.

It is true that I focused on the young men / young women paradigm but only because it is and will be by far the most common situation. (I'll bet in the order of 75% of what comes to light.) I certainly did not mean to say that this "only" will happen with young men. You may note in my post that I also said to this point that "...supervision and guidelines should be in place for any aged coach male, female, or otherwise." By which I tried to say that this phenomenon spans all ages and any category of human being.

The secondary point I am trying to make is the natural bit. Human beings will fall into these situations given our natural biological drives and young men in particular are at risk because of the researched and documented fact that young men (teens and into the mid 20s) have less impulse control as compared to an older person.

I agree, of course, that the majority of coaches will not fall into this trap, but a minority will and we will be reading about these situations as the years go by. Your examples in your post nicely highlight the overall problem. And given that human beings are what they (we) are this will continue, which is why awareness of the potential, good policy and procedures, and supervision will have to be in place.

Cheers!

16. SEC Soccer Fan

SEC Soccer Fan New Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Any news on soccer jobs, like Oklahoma?

17. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Filled
    Georgia Southern - Josh Moffet (interim in 2019)

Vacant
    Louisiana Monroe
    Iowa State
    Oklahoma
    Southern Utah
    Temple
    Washington
    Marquette
    Marshall
    LSU (interim)
    Western Michigan (interim)
    Robert Morris
    Evansville
    ETSU
    UNLV
    Grand Canyon
    Stephen F. Austin
    St. Mary's College
    Colgate
    Long Island University
    Loyola Marymount
    Yale

18. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Let's also, all behind our hidden names on a forum, recognize these are allegations. Yale is not in a position right now to see it out and follow up on the allegations with an investigation. So unfortunately for Faherty, they made a quick decision to cut ties and wash their hands. That doesn't make this story truthful, had this been at a different university who was not just dragged through the news in a giant scandal it may have played out differently. Knowing the lengths that some places go through to vet a candidate (including speaking to former players) I do find it strange that a student run paper is the one to unfold this.

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something that may not be known to everyone is that the Yale Daily -- known in my day as the Yalie Daily -- has a good reputation as a newspaper (meaning, not just as a student newspaper). So I wouldn't treat the quality of its reporting as much different than that of a reputable non-school-affiliated newspaper.

20. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    University of Pacific and UNR not going to make any changes? I figured UNR would extend the job to their third assistant coach in a row if the head coach isn't performing, you know follow the pattern for non success.

21. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW - Andy McCaslin is now on staff at the University of Indianapolis with his wife Stacey and Holly Cox. Picked preseason to finish 10th in their league and finished second. They also just advanced to the D2 Sweet 16. That's two D2 sweet 16 appearances for the McCaslins in two years at two schools.

22. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    Both quality people and obviously good coaches!

23. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    Filled
    Georgia Southern - Josh Moffet (interim in 2019)

Vacant
    Colgate
    ETSU
    Evansville
    Grand Canyon
    Iowa State
    Long Island University
    Louisiana Monroe
    Loyola Marymount
    LSU (interim)
    Marquette
    Marshall