Academic Year 19/20 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Lord Kril, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    This was mentioned in post 244 and added to the list but I'm glad you brought it up.
    She's a legend and while this should be a retirement after 29 years, the press release is total crap and indicates she was asked to resign. It was not the best season to depart on and the only quote in the release is from the boss. IMHO - I think that's BS from Colgate and they should have done better. You don't leave a head coaching job after 300 wins over 29 years and not even get a quote. They also didn't tweet out the release which is another tell and way to avoid random commentary. Booo Colgate.

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I agree generally, the press release doesn't say she was asked to resign. It says she decided to resign.

Her teams have been improving gradually, even over the last 12 years leading into this year. This year wasn't a good year. Is it possible she decided she's done it long enough? Or does someone know something different?

3. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Come on now. You have tons of credibility here but you can't tell me that the coach chose to resign and there's not a word from a 29 year coach in the press release?? But there is a statement from her boss! These things are crafted pretty carefully and it doesn't say "Head Coach Brawn announced" it says the Dept announced. The AD also doesn't refer to Brawn personally or even use the words "thank you". It's pretty cold and written to look like the coach had no control of this at all. But I do not have inside info. The new AD has been there since only 2018 and has a power 5 background. Power struggle? Cleaning house to gain credibility? happens way too often. Ask John Daly from W&M.

"The Colgate University Department of Athletics announced Tuesday that women's soccer head coach Kathy Brawn has decided to resign from her position following 29 years as head coach."

HeadSpun repped this.
  4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't read a lot of coach departure announcements, so I take your word on what it looks like. Her leaving did seem odd to me, notwithstanding Colgate's poor year. I'll be interested to see if someone knows the details and will share them here.

5. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Any athletic department announcement of a coach stepping down after 29 years that does not include some genuine words of gratitude from the athletic director AND some comments from the coach is borderline disgraceful and shame on the Colgate athletic director (and director of communications). If the AD has pushed her out the door, s/he ought to be candid about it in the announcement---"we've decided to make a change in our soccer program...." and thank the outgoing coach for nearly 30 years of service. It's called being up front and gracious. The only possible reason not to be candid and gracious is if the coach had committed an awful violation or breach of trust or somesuch; otherwise, you show some respect.

HeadSpun, Fitballer and PoetryInMotion repped this.
  6. justforkicks99

justforkicks99 New Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
  7. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  8. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Totally agree. Embarrassing from Colgate.

9. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    As disrespectful as the Colgate press release was to Brawn, the Yale one is much worse. You don't say "effective immediately" unless something happened. There is a story there and hope it's more of a rules violation then something worse. You would expect folks at Yale to be on high-alert as much as any college in the US this year.

10. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
  11. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    Brendan was the UW huskies assistant coach before he was at Stony Brook. Led SB to NCAA tourney, winning records. He was a good recruiter at UW, and did well at Yale. Thats three places with success. My bet is that he will be announced in a few days as UW Huskies next head coach to replace Lesle G. Not a bad choice. He's a good guy, knows the recruits there that are sophomore and above as he recruited many of them. Logical pick. And if I'm right, good for him.

12. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    If that is the case - and I admit that was my first thought too - then Yale is really pissed. Not sure why they would be so terse in their announcement, and then have another statement coming tomorrow. It also seems an odd time to announce Gallimore's replacement when she is still coaching the team.

13. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    That’s not it. I’ve been told it’s about canceling culture coming back to haunt him. I met him during my dd’s recruiting process and enjoyed getting to know him

14. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017

Cancelling culture? Can you elaborate?

My understanding was he said a lot of inappropriate things to his team after the last game and the administration didn’t think it reflected department values.

15. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had no idea either. Learn something new everyday..

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cancel Culture

16. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    Dec 19, 2018
    Well shoot, that'd be a mess for Yale to have to negatives in two years then. I've worked with Brendan in coaching situations for events and he seemed like a mellow and good leader, calm. We all say things I think in heat of moment. Kids get so offended these days its crazy. Literally walk on eggshells because if disgruntle them, they'll go for your head. I hope that is not the case. I'm interested to see how things pan out though in coming week. I'll get my popcorn ready

17. eastside88

eastside88 New Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Nov 8, 2019
  18. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Unbelievable. How does this all come out just now? Yale just experienced one of the biggest and most embarrassing scenarios in all of college sports with Rudy Meredith, they couldn’t learn and have taken some time to dig and vet this guy out? Remarkable this all occurred and he still had opportunities at Washington and Stony Brook prior to Yale. Next person Yale hires should go through an FBI clearing. This program has become a magnet for misconduct on multiple levels.

19. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    Dec 19, 2018
    Holy crap, kind of a bombshell. 3-5 violations, drinking with players, sleeping in same bed, groping one, sex with others. Then married former player he coached. Hmmn. Some NCAA violations, others just ethical ones. I wonder if that's why Dino resigned at UNC, he had married former player he coached too right from way back when? There's actually quite a few I know of that married former players, girls marrying girl coaches, and guy and girls. So have seen it go both ways believe it or not and they continued to coach for decades past that. That was another era though.

20. MFF1910

MFF1910 Member

Sep 11, 2018
  21. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The issue isn't marrying former players. A lot of assistants are not all that much older than the players. Marrying a former player is not really that unusual.

The issue is how the coach behaves when there is a player-coach relationship. A coach can't have more than a player-coach relationship when the player is actually playing. They also can't be drinking with the players, grabbing them, or sexually harassing them in any way. Even a consensual relationship is taboo. The problem is that too many coaches can't wait until the player is done with soccer and instead of thinking with their brain, they think with what's below their belt.

Soccerhunter repped this.
  22. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    C'mon... That's silly. Dino's retirement from UNC coaching had absolutely nothing to do his marriage. Dino and Wendy got married 13 years after her graduation from UNC as a mature women in her mid thirties, and in Dino's BIO in all of the UNC annual blurbs it always openly featured that fact as if they were proud of it. No hush hush at all. Over the years many players have praised Dino as a key person in the positive and fun side of the UNC soccer culture with no hint of scandal anywhere that I can find. Yes, times have changed, but not that much.

Dino's retirement had to do with the fact that he is 69 yeas old and, after over 40 years at UNC had accomplished everything he wanted to do there. He had been recruited by the Carolina Courage (the top team in the NWSL) to ply his trade there coaching defense (and as far as I can tell that is a less demanding job than at UNC.) https://www.nccourage.com/coaching-staff ..Wouldn't this be a more logical explanation?

Wildcatter, blissett and WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.
  23. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    There is nothing wrong with Coach P marrying a former player many years later. As for NC Courage, it wouldn't be an issue for Paul Riley, Head NWSL Coach of the NC Courage, as he married a player from his Albertson Fury youth team, shortly after coaching her, which never seemed to be an issue outside Long Island.

24. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    You've heat the nail on the head, PlaySimple.

A young man in his early to mid 20s is naturally going to be attracted to women about 3 to 5 years younger (and vice versa). It is extremely common in our culture (and even present day with the me too movement) that successful marriages have a age differential of about 3 +- years with the younger being the woman. That's just how it works with mother nature and her hormones. (um.. and brain development too, as women's brains are more often fully wired by their mid 20s and males not until their late 20s, especially in terms of impulse control. Hiring a young man to coach females a few years younger is naturally going to cause problems unless there is serious supervision and clear guidelines. Schools should be prepared for this!

I agree with you that marrying former players or coaches is common and will naturally continue to happen and should not be condemned if it is after coaching relationship is over for a reasonable period of time. But I'm not sure I can define that time as the real issue is that there has to be a significant period when the parties are truly on an equal power and emotional security basis. (Maybe at least a year or two?)

For those inclined to read, there are companion books (The Female Brain, and The Male Brain) based on research and written by Louann Brizandine, MD that present lucid explantions of how differently men and women think and behave...much of it testosterone and estrogen driven. Her descriptions of the natural men's brain focus, fantacies, and behaviors in their late teens and 20s is eye opening (and I dare say, familiar and cringe worthy, to many older men looking back.) Yes in deed, impulse control.

ping and blissett repped this.