Academic Year 19/20 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Lord Kril, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    Holeman should get P-5 offers, he won at Georgia, he continues to win at previously terrible program Lamar. As a college coach, scary if its just for win loss not as productive as AD thinks when posting winning records in a somewhat challenging conference (I know not top 10 soccer conference, but definitely not near the bottom). Jim Thomas BSU, has to be the front runner I would think for the UW opening. He came from there as successful assistant, led BSU to tourney and great record. An established program like the Huskies would want one of their own.

There IS A Lot of pressure for AD's the last six years to hire female coaches for female sports. Personally have been told in three finalist interviews you are the most qualified candidate, best resume, scored the highest in interviews, but if there's any female applicants with remotely close resume we've got to go with them. Heck I was even offered at one of the schools, got an email with congrats on the offer, then it was rescinded the next day because a 23 year old female two year assistant coach applied with zero head coaching experience, she rated 4th out of the 5 semi finalists in score for coaching ability and then interviews, but she was the highest rated female they had that applied, so given the job. UNLV AD, she was the Associate AD at Cincinnati during this, and her goal was to hire females for female sports. Take a read. https://gobearcats.com/story.aspx?f...s_in_hiring_female_coaches&file_date=2/4/2015

This isn't a race complaint, it is a gender complaint. Its coming males, there is a women's only NCAA coaching group that supports each other for jobs and references, hiring. I tried to join, not allowed into meetings at convention. Asked a colleague who attended what it was about, she gave me a little insight. Mainly about empowering women to get the jobs and encourage and help each other get head coaching jobs and grow women in the sport. Thats not a negative thing. It only becomes negative in cases like Portland State's hire, where over 100 males with great experience applied for the job, but they were explicitly told they would not consider any males for the job, its a "Female only head coaching position there", so when the first two females they offered turned the job down, they had no qualified candidates with any head coaching experience. So they turned to a recent grad assistant, recent team manager who got promoted to paid assistant to get her feet wet at Sac State and offered her her first job. Hows it going with that experiment, 4-15 this year. Record like 17-45 ish record in three years without playing a tough schedule, Bottom 30 rpi in nation two years in a row. But as long as they don't hire or consider any males that apply. ps. To avoid trash talk, I did not apply for PSU, but a close friend did and that was the exact wording they told him when he spoke with Ms. Cleary their AD. At least she was honest about it. Men coaching women sports in college will go the way of the dinosaurs soon in the woke progressive era.

2. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Sounds a lot like the college men’s coaching jobs. Women have almost no chance of getting those. Men are not disenfranchised here. They have so many more opportunities in the men’s and women’s game than women do. No one is going to sympathize with men in this male dominated profession.

3. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    Safe to assume everything on the coaching carousel will probably be quiet until after signing day this week?

4. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017
    Possibly. I’m assuming with a few teams just getting done some coaches are receiving their ‘we need to meet’ message today.

I would be shocked if Grand Canyon isn’t in search of a new coach by the end of the week.

WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.
  5. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Meanwhile, SUU and ULM are already in interview processes with their short lists.

6. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    Oregon out here in the great northwest. Great school, good soccer, great fishing.

7. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These four schools have to at be the top of the list for an end of the week meeting..

FIU
    Nevada
    Pacific (CA)
    Grand Canyon

That end of the week meeting for FIU should have taken place right after they lost 0-6 to Marshall, at home!

Soccerguy1022 and WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.
  8. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Filled
    Georgia Southern - Josh Moffet (interim in 2019)

Vacant
    Louisiana Monroe
    Iowa State
    Oklahoma
    Southern Utah
    Temple
    Washington
    Marquette
    Marshall
    LSU (interim)
    Western Michigan (interim)
    Robert Morris
    Evansville
    ETSU
    UNLV
    Grand Canyon

9. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017
  10. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I never realized how poor FIU is. To help me put things into perspective, I went back and looked at the history of the team the past few season.

They are 2-15 this year and were 0-17-1 last season. The current head coach, Sharolta Nonen, has a 3-46-1 record over 3 seasons. Over that same time span, FIU has scored 30 goals and conceded 146.There is a forward on the team that has started all games and played 1400+ minutes on the season and has no goals or assists. There may be others but I had seen enough to know that the team is really not good. A forward's job is to find the back of the net or, at least, help create chances for others.

11. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    A D1 assistant with ties to ULM is a finalist there, for those that care.

12. Agnos

Agnos New Member

Manchester United
    Jamaica
    Nov 12, 2019
  13. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    No way jim Thomas gets UW. Boise has been ok. This was their best year ever and their RPI is crap. He’s never beat a power 5 school. And it’s taken him almost a decade to get them kinda competitive in a mediocre conference. Maybe he’s on the list but one good year shouldn’t earn a pac-12 job.

Footyballs repped this.
  14. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    UW possibility Julie Woodward. Delivered forever at Seattle. Knows the recruiting area well respected and gets results. No idea if she would leave Seattle but a great candidate if interested

15. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004

Oh agree. Good call.

Footyballs repped this.
  16. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Boise is a good job and any decent coach will win there but he has had a good enough year to move on if a better job presents itself.

Grand Canyon- why are they so bad?

Temple: any front runners? Good school and a league that you can compete in.

17. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    St. Mary’s College open

18. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Colgate, too

19. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    Looking at her record Woodward would be great for Washington or Oregon.

20. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Filled
    Georgia Southern - Josh Moffet (interim in 2019)

Vacant
    Louisiana Monroe
    Iowa State
    Oklahoma
    Southern Utah
    Temple
    Washington
    Marquette
    Marshall
    LSU (interim)
    Western Michigan (interim)
    Robert Morris
    Evansville
    ETSU
    UNLV
    Grand Canyon
    Stephen F. Austin
    St. Mary's College
    Colgate

21. penguin13

penguin13 New Member

United States
    Aug 16, 2018
    No clue who it is but possibilities could be. . .

Freddy Delgato - Former Assistant at ULM. Was the head coach at UALR and New Mexico State wasnt really successful at any of them. I would guess most likely from my list but hes already proven he cant win in that conference. If you cant win at UALR you have no chance on ULMS budgets.

Chris Mcnaughton - current assistant at Wayne State. Not D1 so likely not him according to the post. Was a former assistant at ULM and UALR so has experience in the conference. Was head coach at Missouri Southern State University which is D2 and didnt have much luck there

Dustin Stein - fits the mention as he is currently the assistant at Pitt. Use to be the head coach at a JUCO in Dallas and had a lot of success there. would be a decent hire for ULM but I couldnt imagine him wanting to leave the ACC for ULM

Aaron Cline - has experience in the conference as an assistant at ULM then has been running a club in Lafayette so would know the club scene in the state and surrounding area. Also i believe spent some time as a volunteer assistant at University of Louisiana Lafayette. I think this would be the best option of this list. not sure if the school would agree

Dean Joseph - former ULM assistant and Jackson State head coach. Had some success at Jackson State. I think currently hes coaching a high school in Mississippi.

Like I said i dont have a clue who the short list is. Just throwing out a few names with some ties to the program since that was the clue given

22. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    I keep waiting for Andy McCaslin's name to resurface in the Midwest. He built a winner at D2 Ferris State before leaving the school last summer to move to Indianapolis where his wife took an assistant coaching job. I would think he would be a perfect candidate to take the helm at a struggling Mid Major D1.

23. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    maybe he’ll be in the mix at Evansville?

Sledhead repped this.
  24. NotACollegeCoach

NotACollegeCoach New Member

Man United
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    Megan Soileau, formally Snelling is currently an assistant at Southern Miss.
    She was an assistant at ULM for 2 years.