AC St. Louis Back From The Dead!

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by Battra, Jun 25, 2010.

1. STLSpurs

STLSpurs New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    St. Louis

calling folks euro-posers/implying they are snobs for liking european teams is a form of snobbery unto itself. I for one would be overjoyed if one day St. Louis was enough of a soccer hotbed to support two pro teams.

also, call us fans of European teams what you want, but bring their quality and this kind of passion over here and we can talk:

http://www.pumafootball.com/videos/be-in-that-number/

2. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are confusing euro-poseurs with simple American soccer fans that enjoy foreign teams. I think we all likely know an individual or small group of people that profess to love soccer, but fail to show any interest in the domestic game. The level of play may not be the same, but you can at least claim some genuine connection with local teams and talent.

3. KyleScarborough

KyleScarborough New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Europoser is the name then I'll gladly take it.

I'd be stoked if the sport was half as huge here as it is in Europe.

We could focus on a winning team and not if our team's gonna fold.

That said, grab a pigs ear and support your rub-a-dub!

4. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody here is the kind of person I'm talking about. By definition, anybody on a D-2 team message board has taken an interest in their local team.

I mean people who use the game's inferiority in the U.S.A. (including a lack of Derbies) as an excuse to follow some team 5,000 miles away rather than the one down the street. That's "rather than", not "in addition to".

Obviously, I enjoy foreign soccer of all kinds tremendously myself and look forward to the day when U.S. soccer approaches that level.

5. STLSpurs

STLSpurs New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    St. Louis
    Fair play to you then jason.

Then again, I refused to follow MLS even while I followed Tottenham, although that was because we keep getting shafted by Garber.

6. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to get over my Euro snobbery personally.

Even though I hate Garber...and even though Europe has a better quality of play...I've decided to pay attention to the MLS this season, and for all seasons...if for nothing else, ease of watching. :)

7. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
  8. GatewayRSC

GatewayRSC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    St Louis
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the standards really that high though? A one million reserve that is put in an interest earning account and an ownership group worth $25 million. I would hope most current ownership groups are worth atleast that, including Cooper.

10. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By every single account I've ever seen, Cooper sails over that bar with tens of millions to spare.

AC's problem had nothing to do Cooper's net worth, it was a liquidity crisis.

I'd be amazed if there were any USSF D-2 ownership groups that didn't already meet that standard. More nonsense from MLS Rumors.

11. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    What you all don't know is that the USSF wants Cooper completely OUT of soccer.

12. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You got proof on that?

Ya, didn't think so.

13. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    Have you asked anyone in MLS, the NASL, or WPS what they think about Cooper?

I've spoke to several execs that want that man out. MLS Commissioner Don Garber was in KC for the Wizards 2-1 win over Man U, and was asked by a very prestigous radio voice in St. Louis when or IF St. Louis would ever get an MLS team. Garber simply shook his head NO and said "not as long as Cooper is involved."

14. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Why?

2) "Involved"? So you're telling me if, say, Jack Taylor or the Busch family (to be totally hypothetical) went to MLS for a team and Cooper's name was also on the application, Garber would say no?

I can accept that Cooper doesn't have the bankroll for a team, but given the evidence on the table it's hard for me to see what he could possibly have done to make himself that toxic - especially given MLS's embrace of Joey Saputo, who's been a very public anti-MLS loudmouth in the recent past.

If you're going to tell the story, tell the whole story. You talk a lot about how the soccer establishment "wants that man out" without ever getting into why.

15. STLSpurs

STLSpurs New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    St. Louis

Spot on, Jason, especially with point 2. What if the DeWitts got involved? Or if Cooper had a group of diverse small businessmen, including somebody like Pujols?

Maybe Garber does have a grudge against cooper (it would explain a lot), but I really think that as a businessman, he would act in his/MLS' best financial interest.

16. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this heresay or is this documented? I haven't heard anything about this and if a "very prestigious" radio voice in StL was to encounter such an exchange, don't you think he/she would have reported it?

btw Redhawk, whatever happened to that big news that you said was going to happen about a month ago now? hmmmmmm.....

17. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually when Redhawk is quoting "insiders" or "prestigious voices" he means that he was interviewing himself in the mirror again.

18. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian, even KC doesn't want your ass anymore.

And neither does anyone here.

You're a f*cking moron.

Period.

Now go play in traffic.

19. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard that story, but I doubt its veracity. Garber is an asshole, but not an idiot. Anything can happen in the business world and I doubt he would make a statement like that- just in case Cooper and St. Louis put up a winning bid in the future.

That said- we need to quit worrying about MLS. They used us 4 times to get other cities they wanted more to put up more money or better stadium proposals. I'm content with AC and if we have another season or 10 in Division II I'll be happy. If MLS happens it happens, but we need to get over this inferiority complex.

As for Redhawk, nobody gives a shit what he says anymore. Like others, they've proven themselves to be more interested in AC failing than anything else. They'll keep preaching negativity and trying to cause problems. Let them. I'm gonna focus on my team and have some fun as long as it lasts.

20. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    Kyle: Please explain? I have no clue what you're talking about. Pro soccer is thriving in KC, both outdoors...and now indoors, and I'm happy to be a part of that. Now we need to start showing that same type of support in St. Louis. We hope to have an MISL team playing at Scottrade Center or Chaifetz Arena next season. It certainly won't cost as much as MLS, so it might fit the bill with a few investors. And to be honest, a D-2 team would compliment an MISL team. Players could stay in St. Louis year-round and make a decent living playing for both teams.

Just because someone in the STL smedia spoke to Garber off record, doesn't mean that it would be reported. There's no news. There was no official interview, just a discussion at Arrowhead at the Man U game.

21. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh how very diplomatic a response.

You're still an asshole.

And you keep saying "we" like you're one of us or that you actually give a shit about St. Louis.

Follow the yellow brick road off the end of my d!ck and piss off back to indoor soccer in KC.

Everytime you post it's as enjoyable as a baby being punched in the face.

22. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BINGO.

AC games are fun and affordable...what more can we ask for?

23. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the same boat now. I've been one of those bitter fans who feels like I've been pissed on because we got passed over by Garber, but I've learned to accept it (mostly) and am comfortable being in Div 2. It's more intimate in that I feel closer to the team. These guys just don't hit the field and then leave, they actually come over and say thank you at the end of the games.
    And if we do end up getting the big money backer(s) that we so desperately need to make MLS and it evolves from AC, then that's even better to say we were there from the beginning. And if not, that's fine too.

24. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian Quarstad from IMS today, discussing the USSF Div 2 meeting in NY:
    "Bobby, I would say you are very accurate but I do believe Cooper and St. Louis will be back. I’ve not posted this before but there is now a big chasm between most of NASL owners and Cooper. Cooper is not happy that the NASL did not support him when things were bad for him when he helped support some other teams last fall. Yet NASL is not happy with Cooper because he really tarnished the NASL name as leader of the group and yet not taking charge after USSF took over the league, then his own team had financial trouble making the group look bad. "

25. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

which makes sense. I can understand there being bad blood between Cooper and the NASL or USL or USSF or MLS, but if AC STL is on stable financial ground (with or without Cooper) I don't think they'll bounce the team. St. Louis is still a valuable market to Division II. As long as they are satisfied that the team won't fold, it would be a mistake to get rid of them. Especially with 3 teams on their way to MLS.