AC Milan transfers, rumors, speculations ... (Part 2)

Discussion in 'AC Milan' started by SueB, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Everyone hold the goddamn phone!

Vieri better then Crespo? 5 strikers?

What the flippin hell is going on here!!!!

Crespo scored almost every game he started not to mention netting 2 goals in the CL final and Galliani thinks Vieri can just replace him let alone compete for first striker? Is he out of his freaking gord?

It seems like everyone has just forgotton Portugal? Vieri (the Italian front man :eyesroll: ) and his terrible form coupled with misplaced vanity cost the Italian NT any chance of advancing. I'm not blaming it all on him, but he definitely stunk up the place.

Now apparently he's qualified for a Milan starter even when Moratti payed to release him?!
    And whats with all this crap about 5 strikers? Not only is it completely unprecidented but its also unpractical. It would be like preparing for some kind of natural disaster that has no logical probability to start with, much like American schoolkids hiding under their desks for nuclear alerts in the 50's.

I know we have taken Inter players before and have made a few success story's here and there, but this is taking it too far.

2. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Interesting, Jawz, but that leads me to question Vieri's leaving
    Inter for Milan--he's stated that he needs first-team action so
    that he can return to the World Cup next year . . . Hmm.

3. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe Vieri knows something that the public doesn't. Maybe Milan won't go after Gila. I want to see how this plays out. Much to my dismay, I now see clubs like Juve and Inter in pole position to take Gila rather than Milan. Maybe us taking Vieri will be another bad Inter player to Great Milan player conversion... ;)

4. Futballer

Futballer New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Canada
    Crespo is better than Vieri!
    Some of you guys haven't even seen the real Crespo......

5. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everybody knows Crespo was better than Vieri last year. That is undebatable. Most people are now hoping Vieri regains the form he showed 3 years ago. Because Vieri at his peak is better than Crespo at his peak. But Vieri is now on the downside of his career. And in my opinion I would rather have Crespo now. But Crespo will not be playing for Milan next season so that dream is over.

I have to feel Milan will be bringing in another player. Berlusconi and Galliani were trying to save money for this new player by not paying anything for our 4th striker. We have Vieri now and if we go into this next year with Sheva, Pippo, Tomasson, and Vieri it wouldn't be a catastrophy. Maybe Galliani can make a deal with Parma whereby Gila stays at Parma for one more year and we get him next year. Or don't rule out that Milan will use the rest of their transfer cash this year for a non-striker. Michael Ballack anyone?

6. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    good point and with dhorasoo leaving for PSG maybe Ballack is on the cards...

7. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    What is Milan thinking? Vieri, Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Crespo, Tomasson? Maybe Crespo will stay if Milan don't get Gilardino. Also where does this leave Crespo? Does he return to Chelsea or does he go to Inter?

8. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Some of you guys really need to calm down and chill. Relax. Breathe in and out. Good. :cool:

We got Vieri on a free. Yes, the salary will probably be big, but for a two year deal (with this coming year really being an important one for Bobo to impress Lippi for the World Cup in Germany) its a sound deal.

Galliani couldn't get Crespo away from Chelski at a price both parties could agree to, so rather than wait around, you go for an option that is adequate. As mentioned on these boards, no doubt Crespo had a better year last year than Vieri, but over the last 8 years I'd say they are pretty much on that same level of class as a striker (yes Bobo has missed sitters for the Azzurri in both WC02 and Euro04....but, there is no doubt the midfield of Milan is better than the national team, and he WILL get better service).

Are they both on the down turn of their careers? Yes, but we at Milan have had much success in getting the best out of our older players (Maldini, Costacurta, Rui Costa, Inzaghi...02-03 at least, and Cafu). If we get the next year the best that Vieri can give us, with a midfield from the rossoneri that is more settled and has a blueprint style that is already setup for the past three years(unlike Inter, who are the epitome of transition sides), then I think Bobo will do just fine for us. Tis a shame for Crespo, but as I mentioned in a previous post, we might have wanted Hernan, but we didn't need him.

So again to restate, we got Vieri ON A FREE. That means even LESS money spent on a transfer fee for Crespo, and MORE money that could be used for buying Gilardino. Again, ideally, I think Galliani wanted to settle the Crespo loan issue and buy him outright while purchasing Gila. Milan probably tried to work in Kaladze as part of the deal with Crespo, but as soon as Chelski bought Del Horno, their need for a left back wasn't as strong, so the Kaladze deal collapsed, which indirectly made the Crespo deal harder to come about.

To be perfectly honest, I'm rather quite pleased to be keeping Kaladze, as I too feel he should have been used more often last season (don't get me started on us letting Colloccini go) and our aging backline is only getting older. When Crespo first came to Milan, I thought of him as a mercenary (Vieri also has to win me over by the way), and he still drove me crazy on not quite linking up with Sheva the way we all hoped he could, though his goals against Manure and in the Champions League final were certainly very praiseworthy. It all depends on the player to sacrifice for the team. And when you are successful like one is at Milan, its easier to make those sacrifices (ie. Jon Dahl Tomasson, Serginho, Rui Costa, Ambro, and Abiati on the bench).

So now we know that we have Sheva, Vieri, Tomasson (who doesn't want to go, but still might be offered in a deal), Inzaghi (who still might be used in a deal), and Kaka and Serginho who have the ability to play up front as well. I still expect Galliani to make moves, and for you-know-who. Its early July folks. There is still plenty of time.

As we know during the funny season, transfers are just another type of business taking place. But please all...calm down. The only board that I can think off the top of my head where there's more whine being served is the "Gerrard gone" one in the Liverpool board. :D

9. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
    What a terrible move. Hurray for an overpaid and overrated striker! We need younger players like Gilardino and we sign Vieri?! I can't say I'm happy with this in anyway, and Galliani's "thriftiness" is going to definitely come back to bite us in the ass.

10. Ami05

Ami05 Member

Apr 28, 2005
    California
    I did not realize that so many people either disliked Vieri or thought he's not such a great player. I always thought he was such an amazing scorer.
    What forwards do you think are better than Vieri for Italy or AC Milan?

11. Futballer

Futballer New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Canada
    No, Cespo is going to have to go back to Chelsae now, since hes still under contract with them....

12. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I agree. I'm suprised at how upset some folks are over this.

13. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
    He was a good striker in his day, maybe one of the best in the world. I still think he is a decent player, and really don't dislike him. I just don't think he belongs in Rossoneri colors. This was not the summer purchase we needed to make, we need a young striker. Vieri's best years are behind him, and it's simply wishful thinking to think he will return to top form.

Oh well. :(

Yeah, at the same time when pigs will fly.

14. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    me too. its incredible. theyre all gonna eat their words when vieri bags 20 for milan next season.

15. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Unlikely if not impossible. Thats five strikers too many not to mention a clear-cut recipe for destroying whatever remaining harmony we have in our forward line.

Given recent circumstances and without hesitating I would wager heavily on Gilardino not comming, not this transfer window at the very least.

16. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Patronizing I see.

It's like I can cut all your inner glee with a butter knife cause its soo thick.

Just do yourself a favour and don't cry when Gila snubs Turin.

17. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    why would i cry about that? point is you guys just dont understand what kind of player you just got for absolutely nothing. you should be glad galliani has more brains then his teams fans do.

18. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Maybe.

But I'm also glad he's not a used car-lot salesman who would screw me out of my money.

19. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    but of course you are.

20. rossoneri_22

rossoneri_22 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 18, 2004
    Everyone here seems to be overreacting about this Vieri deal. We got him for NOTHING so if he flops it's not a big investment. He maybe 32 years old but Milan and the medical staff have always been able to get the best out of older players. Vieri doesn't need to been in incredible physical shape as he is a player who uses his size and power to beat players rather than his speed and agility. Lets not forgot that Vieri still ended up last season with 15 goals or something like that. This despite not being first choice for much of the season and being injured. Moving to Milan will help rejuvenate him and he will probably end up with a solid goal tally.

Gilardino's transfer has nothing to do with Vieri's transfer. Milan wanted Crespo and Gilardino, now it's changed to Vieri and Gilardino. How come there was none of this hysteria when Crespo nearly signed that loan deal. Gila is still coming!

21. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    i think youre missing the point completely. why did vieri leave inter? if you know the answer to that question, youll know that this signing and a crespo signing are completely different regarding the gilardino situation.

its nice to finally see a milan man who doesnt talk down vieri though. rep for you.

22. rossoneri_22

rossoneri_22 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 18, 2004
    Yes Vieri has left Inter to find more playing time not for an automatic starting place. When Crespo came to Milan he was supposed to be the solution for our 4th striker problem. He ended up being in our best starting XI. Vieri knows this and knows that even if Gilardino becomes a Milan player he will be given his chances to impress. In a season where Milan will probably play 60+ games there is room for strikers.

23. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    why would he leave inter because of competition from adriano and martins to compete against shevchenko and gilardino? surely vieri aint that dumb. he could have gone anywhere.

24. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
    Milan or where? How many other world class teams do you think would be looking for his services?

Also there is a huge difference between hating Vieri (which most of us don't) and thinking he doesn't fit in at Milan. I strongly believe in the latter, and I do think there is a very good chance Gila won't come now. Any possible way you want to cut it, not getting Gila would make this transfer season at the very least a partial failure.

25. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    what team wouldnt sign him? hes been linked with basically every world class team i can think of the last couple months. im sure their interest was still there when they could get him for nothing.

and dont be too worried about gilardino. hes not the only player worth money out there.