AC Milan Official Injury News Thread

Discussion in 'AC Milan' started by stphnsn, Mar 11, 2010.

1. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i thought this would be a good place to keep all of our injury and related news in one place. we have injury posts throughout game threads and the transfer thread and the news thread. hopefully, this will consolidate the injury news a little bit better.

unfortunately, i just saw that nesta's knee injury could be quite serious if not season ending.

http://www.footballpress.net/?action=read&idsel=55964

2. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
  3. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    that's great to hear about guch. we couldn't be getting him back at a better time with nesta, antonini, and bonera gimped up. that's 3/4 of our preferred defensive line out.

4. PinkSpider

PinkSpider New Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Man, the news about Nesta just bums me out. What terrible luck the poor guy has :(. Lets hope Guch is up to scratch, I'd hate to have to pull out Kaladze.

5. Kufibear

Kufibear New Member

May 7, 2007
    Holland
    onyewu is terrible
    rather see favalli play

6. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i don't know about that. i think a fit guch would be above favalli on the depth chart. granted, you know what you're getting with favalli, but there's more upside with guch even though there will be some hiccups.

7. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    I fully agree, Favalli is really past it. He isn't terrible bad as a fullback, but he's just to slow out wide. In central defense however, he isn't as comfortable and isn't as capable, plus the possibility of just getting burned for pace still exists.

Onyewu can't possibly be expected to play as a fullback, but as a centerback, he is at least as good as Favalli, and isn't any slower. However, because of Onyewu's long term absence from training, I would be a little worried that he won't have settled into the squad as much as he would have if he had been training with them this whole time. Particularly because of that, Bonera should stay higher in the pecking order, but it isn't enough of a drawback to have Favalli top Onyewu.

What is this about Bonera being injured? This thread is the first I've seen about it, didn't he play against ManU? If he is, it might be a little premature to toss Onyewu into the mix. The guy needs some time to get his form back, not just his fitness. If Bonera is out for the weekend I think we might just have to accept that Favalli will start, and If Onyewu is called up it is only as back up. I think Leo would be smart enough to have called in a reserve/youth team defender to train with the first team this week just in case.

Perhaps we should use this thread to keep running track of who is injured for the whole roster. I'll start it off in the next post but please correct me if you have better info as I really don't have much of this stuff.

8. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Out Injured
    Luca Antonini - problem with flexor in his right thigh

Daniele Bonera - contracture to his left ankle (possibly fit for the weekend)

Alessandro Nesta - Torn popliteo tendon in his right knee (Possibly out for the season)

Pato - thigh strain (probable return to training next week)

Recently back from injury
    Oguchi Onyewu - training with the team

Feel free to copy this template and update the lists, add what I've omitted, and correct my mistakes.

9. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    from milan's website (english version. ha.):

A.C. MILAN: THE MEDICAL SITUATION
    3/11/2010
    MILANELLO - A.C. Milan communicates the medical situation:

Luca Antonini suffered a problem to a flexor in his right thigh, tomorrow he will undergo an ecography.

Daniele Bonera suffered a contracture to his left ankle, the player will be subjected to to checks on Saturday morning.

Alessandro Nesta will be visited tomorrow morning in Rome at the 'Villa Stuart' clinic by prof. Mariani for the results of a trauma to his right knee.

Pato is continuing in the rehabilitation phase to resume work with the team next week.

10. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    "What is this about Bonera being injured..."

He started the game against ManU, but was taken out at half time, with Ambrosini going to CB. I didn't notice anything wrong with Bonera while he was playing, and didn't notice any clear tackles/challenges that might have hurt him, so I'm not entirely sure how he got hurt.

11. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    it sounds like bonera could play this weekend from the wording of the info i just posted. who knows if anything was lost in translation though...

12. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    I did a little checking around and the sense I am getting is that Onyewu is not fully fit yet, and may possibly feature before the month is over but certainly not this weekend.

Milan might have to consider doing the unthinkable, playing Kaladze.

13. PinkSpider

PinkSpider New Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'd rather Favalli play if I'm honest.

Did Nesta really tear something in his knee? That's not good news.

14. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  15. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Unfortunately, this is very likely the honest truth. Our entire system challenges our central defenders with tactical dynamics that require someone like Nesta who can read the game very well and have the skills to do what needs to be done, all so that Ronaldinho can chill out on the left wing and never track back. Right now we may be better off playing Beckham on the right wing since Pato won't track back anyway. Basically, out of our usual 3 attackers we should only have to suffer one or two maximum that don't help in defending, the center forward should be the one that holds his position up field.

Our season will be saved only if one or more of the following scenarios:
    1. Bonera learns to read the game better, and gets into the form of his life.
    2. Onyewu returns from injury and displays the form that he does with the US and also distributes the ball better than he usually does.
    3. Favalli finds a way to dig deep enough to pull the last bit of youth he has out and sacrifice it for the cause.
    4. Kaladze apologizes to whichever gypsy witch cast a curse upon him... and he finds the form of his life.

Thiago Silva will be fine if his partner is fine. This could definitely be Bonera's chance to finally make his name at Milan. Or (less likely) it could be Onyewu's chance to step up and make a strong argument for being in the starting XI. If Onyewu had been fit and training with the team for the last two months, I'd say this would be his big chance, but at this point, it would need Bonera blowing his chance before Onyewu gets his.

I'm also really worried about the left back position. I hope Antonini gets well soon, because I think Ronaldinho is a lot more effective when Antonini makes overlapping runs. Dino works better with Luca than any of our other fullbacks.

16. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
  17. PinkSpider

PinkSpider New Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Great summary of the possible scenarios. I find it highly disconcerting that I think #3 is our best hope. Our system is really dependent on having strong centre-backs. Unfortunately, we'll most like suffer for Nesta's absence.

18. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I think we need to get as much as we can from Favalli and Zambrota and I think using Becks right now is a key as he can provide more cover in the middle. With that said, Flamini is a must starter so he can help in the back.
    WTF wrong with Pato? Why so many Milan players get hurt, what are they doing there at the lab or Milanello?

19. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    right when inter gives up hope on a scudetto, this news comes and crushes it. better hope bonera gets healthy and stays fit for once, as favalli, gooch, or kaladze we know ain't gonna cut it in our system...man, wish we had one other reliable defender who could stay healthy, even a guy like astori would have been really nice at this point.

20. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Favalli, Kaladze. Take your pick

http://it.eurosport.yahoo.com/13032010/45/serie-nesta-si-opera-per-bonera-breve-stop.html

For those that don't read Italian:
    Nesta will have surgery on his right knee on monday as expected

Bonera's diagnosis is that he pulled his soleus muscle in his left leg and will be out for 10 to 15 days, so that means he's out for the next two games barring good fortune.

Onyewu is still out, even though nobody noticed until this week.

21. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Out Injured
    Luca Antonini - problem with flexor in his right thigh

Ignazio Abate - Injury unditermined likely just a knock

Daniele Bonera - contracture to his left ankle (possibly fit for the weekend)

Alessandro Nesta - Torn popliteo tendon in his right knee (out for the season)

David Beckham - Torn Achilles tendon, confirmed diagnosis pending (out for the season)

Pato - thigh strain (probable return to training next week)

Recently back from injury
    Oguchi Onyewu - training with the team not yet fit

22. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8567353.stm

i wonder if he will want to continue playing after his recovery. i know he loves the game, but it seems that playing for england was what kept him going. now that the world cup isn't a possibility, i wonder if he will still have the drive to play.

23. PinkSpider

PinkSpider New Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I hope he continues playing. This would be a terribly sad way for him to go.

24. PinkSpider

PinkSpider New Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I honestly cannot believe what some people have said on this blog I ran across about Nesta's injury and Onyewu's chances at starting.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_..._campaign=Feed:+SoccerByIves+(Soccer+By+Ives)

It seriously boggles my mind. If Onyewu was even a fraction as good as some of these people thinks he is, he'd be the second coming of Maldini. I'm not knocking Onyewu as I admit I know little to nothing about him, but some of these people really need to put their heads on.

25. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    those quotes are from usa fanboys who are pissed onyewu wasn't playing before he got hurt. if you think that stuff is silly, go read through threads in the usmnt and yanks abroad forums.