Absolutely Disgraceful Gulati, Arena, Bradley Haven't Resigned

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Greg Heaney, Oct 12, 2017.

1. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    You're right. Not making the world cup is such a minor detail. I don't know what we are thinking.
    Oh wait, the world cup is the entire reason for the existence of a national team. There is nothing that could be a bigger deal than a national team missing the world cup. Nothing. The USMNT doesn't exist for the gold cup. Everything a national team does in in preparation for the world cup. Every. single. thing.

But yeah, whateves

AutoPenalti and Master O repped this.
  2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't tell he was being sarcastic?

TOAzer repped this.
  3. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Kind of hard to detect sarcasm via text. I am not sure he was. Sorry if he was. I would advise a winky face or something next time.

4. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You had it right on your first sentence [emoji6]

TOAzer repped this.
  5. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunils response was nauseating. Not quoting that mess, but he is basically saying that he has done so much good in the last 12 years as president that this is okay. He has a world cup bid and better positioned in the FIFA power world. And he later said it was up to the people that vote to decide.

Of course they are not voting out the money hungry little econ man. He lines their pockets. As Bruce said, it's not USSFs job to train youth or player develop. Nah.

Guy extended JK, hired Bruce, lost Pia, women had a super early exit. Men lost many home qualifiers and GC games. Missed Olympics, bad youth hires. Im pretty sure that's enough to not seek re-election. But not to Sunil.

Hopefully the "national council" votes someone else in.

TOAzer and Master O repped this.
  6. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The equivalence though is to Cameron(who I read an article back during the election about his status on it, or if memory serves me correct, I did). Abortion is murder, and would lead to the same response. Its why I drew the equivalent. But either way, I see where you're coming from and was just trying to gather what they meant. And expressing the opposite side. Discussion leads to better understanding for everyone, especially me. Nice talking with you.(not sarcasm)

7. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    This guy is such a sad, little, arrogant man.

He is basically Roger Goodell. Yes, the interest in your sport has grown dramatically (NFL bc of fantasy, Soccer b/c of increased access on TV), but you little toads have NOTHING (or at least very little) to do with it.

Nauseating is such a great description. Thought we'd get rid of the unbridled arrogance without Klinsy/Bruce, but it's still there, and probably worse than ever.

I'm getting very, very close to losing interest in this entire organization. Just hire Tab and bring back MB90 for a couple games, see how long I stick around you pathetic group of arrogant, corrupt, selfish imbeciles.

manfromgallifrey91 and TOAzer repped this.
  8. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gulati is our Nero..... He's enjoying the Party, and the little people ain't invited....
    ... Ok, no need to pay any money into that sorry rumpus of baboons that craps all over US Soccer from their gilded perch in Chicago House.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The key difference is that one is an ongoing issue, the other is a one-time event.

Or at least a one-time event until the next mass shooting targetting LGBT people.

10. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gulati is on the level of a corrupt Caribbean official. The man is lying to himself, the public and digging his feet in. There's no way to move forward now. A coaching change doesn't fix the problems.

His comments on pay-to-play play were unbelievable. Completely out of touch. USSF has no interest in better soccer. All about overcharging for friendlies and making $$$. Botched 2 coaching hires.

I have no desire to watch the national team until Gulati is gone. Don't expect the media to keep pressing, they'll give up first of the year and status quo will prevail. We don't have the culture that Mexico or other countries have. No accountability.

Master O, yurch10, chad and 1 other person repped this.
  11. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIRST TIME POSTING IN OVER A YEAR. When I saw the idiots on our USMNT pose for a group picture with the MNT, I KNEW we were not going to qualify for Russia.

It was the most pathetic thing I have ever seen .

Mantis Toboggan M.D. repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Lamest excuse ever. The European teams pose with each other all the time, with their giant "Say No To Racism" flags & lots of kids of all colors around to belabor the point, and not because of that play any worse.

It's lame as heck to think we didn't qualify because the players were behaving like decent human beings. The Code of the Warrior actually put an emphasis on being a gentleman first and foremost.

jjmack, yurch10, FijiUnited and 2 others repped this.
  13. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    A presidency change doesn't fix the problems either, worth saying.

As a matter of accountability, it ought to be the end of the line for Sunil, but regardless of who the president is going forward, it's a question of what the federation DOES from here.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It goes much more on the way of starting to fix the problems than a simple change of coach.

Not going to happen, though. I bet in a week everybody but a handful of guys here will have forgotten all about how disastrous Sunil has been.

Heck, people are already forgetting what a disaster was Klinsmann's second cycle.

TOAzer repped this.
  15. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    You may be right, but there has been a remarkable turn from a lot of the USMNT media. That's encouraging.

16. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now let's see if that turn has legs.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #117 Excellency, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    One thing I haven't seen discussed is the relationship of USSF to the US Congress.

If ever there were a time to look at things - really look at things, out of range of the rampant yellow journalism in US soccer- this should be it.

Just about everything has gone backwards when you think about it. The only thing that has gone up is the value of an MLS franchise.

I'd like to see MLS lose their seat on the board and replace it with somebody who will ensure MLS accommodation to FIFA and improve competition in the US soccer landscape.
    Edit: found this
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2009/12/interference.html

Because sports are considered interstate commerce. Article I, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution gives Congress the power to regulate commerce among the states. The Supreme Court has interpreted that power to include sports leagues—with some notable exceptions—since they operate across state borders. That gives panels like the House Committee on Energy and Commerce jurisdiction to look into just about any sports-related issue

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Here they are. Oh, boy. It starts off pretty good because Jan Schakowsky (D-Illinois) is ranking Democrat. Bob Latta (Rep Ohio)is ranking Republican.

https://energycommerce.house.gov/subcommittee/digital-commerce-and-consumer-protection/

You will see in theiri own decription of jurisdiction they mention sports explicitly

"Interstate and foreign commerce, including all trade matters within the jurisdiction of the full committee; consumer protection, including privacy matters generally; data security; motor vehicle safety; regulation of commercial practices (the Federal Trade Commission), including sports-related matters; consumer product safety (the Consumer Product Safety Commission); product liability; and regulation of travel, tourism, and time. The Subcommittee’s jurisdiction can be directly traced to Congress’ constitutional authority “to regulate Commerce with foreign nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes.”

19. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer House needs to be deluged so much with phone calls that they require three people to answer the phones. Anything to get Gulati out as president.

The entire organization needs an overhaul. Make Sunil's position board chairman and strip it of its power except to run the board, who then selects the CEO. Make the CEO the ultimate authority figure in US Soccer. The CEO has day to day responsibility and hires the business development people and the technical director. Once the technical director is hired, then that person is responsible for the on the field product - including the selection of NT coaches.

I have a kid playing club soccer and a financial background. I'm as qualified to run US Soccer as Sunil Gulati is, and you'll never see me even try to run it.

yurch10 and TOAzer repped this.
  20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Then why would he be board chair?

I don't think you are getting the submissive role Gulati is playing. We need checks and balances on MLS; Gulati is just reinforcing their monopoly power which, for all we know, may be used to sell tickets to Patriots and Yankees games. How would we know? Certainly not from Sunil.

If a pig on the loose eats your lunch, maybe you should build a sty that will hold the pig.

22. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's where a full-time CEO with real power in US Soccer could tell Don Garber where MLS' rightful place in the hierarchy is. The board chair role should be a figurehead position, not much else.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sunil can leave a worthwhile legacy if he states he is not running for re-election and appoints a search committee, to vet candidates for President, which is transparent and composed of outsiders with an understanding of and appreciation for the peculiar place of USSF. They would probably have some understanding of anti trust issues.

The process is important. If the process isn't right it just means everything just keeps on keeping on. Having another election of the kind that got us Sunil can't possibly do anything. It would just be a confirmation of the old boy network's way of doing things.

If Sunil sets the ship right and leaves, he wont find himself at an inquest later and in any case he'd have all the answers.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Sunil doesn't have the moral authority to re-structure anything.

Resign now and let the interim President deal with the re-structuring job, even if he also belongs to the Ol' Boy Network.

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Dan Flynn, who's been full-time CEO since 2,000.

And I think Arena resigning 3 days after the loss in Trinidad is reasonable.