Absolutely Disgraceful Gulati, Arena, Bradley Haven't Resigned

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Greg Heaney, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Greg Heaney

Greg Heaney Member

May 5, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I am beyond words that these people have so little honor, feel so little shame, feel they have nothing to do with what happened that not a single one of them has resigned. I bet it hasn't even occurred to any of them, judging by their statements or actions.

Gulati and Bruce say nothing has to change. Mike Bradley is more concerned with wearing rainbow armbands and posing for pictures with Mexico (who threw the game against Honduras in the end). He jogs around the field, has a crap touch, nobody seems to be able to play with him (if only we could pair him with someone who understands his shitty-playerness). He walked, literally WALKED to take a corner when we were down 2-0!!!!!

Gulati? He's just not a soccer guy. He's clueless at this level. OK, maybe he got us here, but his myopia prevents him from seeing that we need a soccer guy now. He should be proud of that and step down, for the good of the country.

Bruce? He's just an old, dumb, college soccerball coach who has to play the Seniors. Everyone in his coaching chain from Arena, Bob Bradley, Sacharin, Hackworth, all of them, OUT OUT OUT!!! "Nothing has to change." OK there, Bruce you ********ing genius!

All of them seem to hate America, or they would have some class, some dignity, some shame. But no. This really is like the Deep State of US Soccer. Chillingly little from the US soccer media. What a bunch of beta males to not be slamming this freaking shitshow of an entrenched youth soccer/college ball cabal.

davechav, Kool Herc, Ghost and 19 others repped this.
  2. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It takes moral courage to have the courage to own up to your responsibility for your moral choices. I am not surprised at Sunil's craven clinging to power at all costs to the sport in this country. I am not surprised at smug, entitled, players --who have never before been held accountable for their failures-- refusing to believe that now has come the time that they are, must be, responsible for their failures....
    For some reason, however, I am surprised at Arena's refusal to step up and admit that he was captain of that ship gurgling in the briny deep. I thought he was a better man than that. I thought he had moral courage. ....... I thought wrong.

Ghost, Semblance17, sXeWesley and 5 others repped this.
  3. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Ive had a few tonight too, im pretty pissed off as well. yes, goodbye gulati and arena, and have some class and dont make excuses because the door is about to hit ya../.

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  4. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Member

Jun 18, 2002
    ATX
    It's a joke there is no accountability. If you don't resign after this failure, when would you? Is there anything lower than this? They are a disgrace.

They will FOREVER be known as the fools who stewarded this colossal failure and then didn't have the decency to walk away. Shameful. A pox on Gulati and Arena and we can't get them the F@CK out of here fast enough.

Greg Heaney, Kool Herc, TxEx and 10 others repped this.
  5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only thing we can do is boycott... something I don't want to do but am willing to do.

If they keep trying to shovel the same shit down our throats, we have to say, enough.

Greg Heaney, TOAzer, Semblance17 and 5 others repped this.
  6. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    I too am surprised by Arena. He is the one who said he was hired for one reason - to qualify us for the WC. He even admitted last night he has failed at his only job.

So why hasn't he resigned yet? As many always said on here about JK and his "failures", "in any other country" Bruce would have resigned on the spot! And if he didn't he would be fired on the plane ride home.

OTH, he didn't think he should be fired after the 2006 debacle, so......

I guess I have misread him. Maybe he really IS the arrogant azzz he appears to be in his sarcastic interviews who is never wrong about anything. Or maybe he just wants to make them fire him so he too can collect his payout from USSocccer.

I don't know. I hate to think either is true, but if he goes past Friday without resigning then we will all know. This debacle is going to reveal a lot about a lot of people in the USSoccer setup's character. So far the indications are not good.

Greg Heaney, TxEx, Namdynamo and 9 others repped this.
  7. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve awakened the last couple of mornings thinking to myself, “Surely, Arena has resigned by now and Gulati has announced that he will not seek re-election.”

But, alas, these guys have no honor. America is a don’t-blame-me-I-didn’t-do-it country now and this is just a glaring example. No personal responsibility. No accountability. No consequences. Do whatever the @#$& you want.

jayd8888, TOAzer, Semblance17 and 4 others repped this.
  8. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Arena should have resigned immediately after the game, no doubt about it. I'd say by the end of the day Friday would be "acceptable", but he has to go. The only reason I can think why he would stay is if we have friendlies lined up for next month and aren't planning to get a new coach until after the MLS season (or Euro season, or WC, or whenever) and the USSF asked Bruce to stay on because they're too fxcking lazy to promote Ramos to interim, which even if it wouldn't really matter in the long run is still a really bad look as it gives off the impression of a lack of accountability.

Which brings us to Sunil. He has to go, but as I understand it no one can force him to until the next election. And even then there's no guarantee the GOB network won't just re-elect him. An absolute disgrace to soccer in this country.

Finally, Bradley. As OP mentions, his SJW bullshxt was tolerable when we were winning, but when you're the first captain in 32 years to crash us out of World Cup qualifying you don't get to do that crap. Cut the virtue signalling, turn the armband over to Yedlin, and just go away.

9. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston, MA USA
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be okay if Arena coached November friendlies and did what he claimed he'd do if we had qualified, i.e. make substantial roster changes. With nothing left to lose, he (or anyone else) could/should begin the full-on youth program that we postponed until after we qualified-- a fatal decision in retrospect, obviously.

"Finally, Bradley. As OP mentions, his SJW bullshxt was tolerable when we were winning, but when you're the first captain in 32 years to crash us out of World Cup qualifying you don't get to do that crap. Cut the virtue signalling, turn the armband over to Yedlin, and just go away."

All of the SJW/virtue-signalling/lefty stuff made me think that Bradley and others like him wanted to market soccer as a niche sport, ignoring the Joe Sixpacks for the hipsters, geeks and other residents of Portland, Oregon. Not a wise approach to mainstreaming the sport on the professional level.

10. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Sunil has really helped grow the game here, but his time is up. On the Men In Blazers pod yesterday they were talking about how Sunil used to drive the team bus, wash the kits and do everything else 20 years ago... I appreciate what he has given to the program, its really remarkable how far we have come from a visual /exposure perspective since 2002.

It is time for a new regime, and at this point nothing else is acceptable.

Thanks Sunil, but the gig is up.

11. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone really think there would be massive changes all of the sudden?

After the press dies down, everything goes back to how it is.

Sunil will most likely be taken over by Feb. elections. Bruce resigns after November. Hire some interim and call up the same useless guys with no motivation to do anything.

sXeWesley repped this.
  12. Jersey1

Jersey1 Member

Oct 8, 2012
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are being much too harsh on these guys, these princes of men. OK, we're not going to the World Cup but do you know how many rainbow shirts we sold this year? Isn't that what's truly important?

Seriously, I expect Arena to go any day now. Gulati is going to shut up and wait for this to blow over. It's on the media (and us) to not let that happen.

I don't even want to talk about Bradley.

13. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    I don't know if this is how Bradley feels personally but speaking of fans there's definitely a sizable element of US soccer fans who resent the game's growing popularity over the last 20 years or so. Personally I've been going to games since the mid-90s and I just want the sport to become as popular as possible in the country because that a) creates a bigger player pool and b) leads to more intense home atmospheres, both of which help the team win. But there are others who became attracted to the sport in the 90s or early 00s (through I'd say the 02 World Cup) when it really was an obscure subculture, many viewed soccer fandom in and of itself as a form of virtue signalling (before that term was a thing) and showing how progressive and enlightened they were to be following this international sport instead of the silly provincial American sports like American football and baseball popular among the deplorables in flyover country. Certainly not every fan dating back to that era, but enough that there was and still to this day is an undercurrent of that attitude in US soccer fandom.

I do think it's changing--look at the states of origin for the kids on the current U-17 team and you can clearly see that the game's roots have spread outside places like southern California and north Jersey (IIRC something like 25% of the team is from Georgia). This is a very good thing. We will never win the World Cup if soccer support in this country is limited to hipsters in Brooklyn and Portland. The problem is that a lot of those hipsters in Brooklyn and Portland don't actually care about winning the World Cup (in fact they might view it as a problematic display of American neo-colonialist arrogance), they care about using their soccer fandom to show the other hipsters how much more enlightened they are than people who watch the NFL. And that's a big part of what has held us back--a sizeable element of our fanbase (and I wouldn't be surprised if it permeates the USSF leadership as well) who outwardly root for the team, but are secretly pleased that we're only about the 15th-40th best team in the world depending on when you look (and were much worse than that before the mid-90s), because it gives the rest of the world a chance to get one back at us.

I also think a lot of the hipster element has seen this shift in the wind and has shifted their support over to the women's game in an effort to stay ahead of the curve.

vmax71, superchris15, russ and 5 others repped this.
  14. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston, MA USA
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley's done his part to end the myth of American exceptionalism. Mea culpa, Honduras, mea culpa....

vmax71, TOAzer and Mantis Toboggan M.D. repped this.
  15. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    I mean, if you think about it he's really a progressive hero for doing his part to pay reparations to the victims of the School of the Americas

vmax71, TOAzer and SteelyTom repped this.
  16. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Arena won't resign until he's told to either resign or get fired. If he resigns, he gets nothing... if he gets fired, they have to pay him off AND he can collect unemployment lol

Where are they going to go? With their resume's, there would be little market for them. Arena was even floundering at the Galaxy when he got this gig... His coaching days are over

TxEx and TOAzer repped this.
  17. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena, Gulati, Bradley: The Three Stooges.

18. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Imagine this kind of behavior in any other soccer country. Biggest failure in the nation's history, and these guys just put their heads down, wait for it to blow over, and keep on keeping on?

How can people say they're ok with Arena staying on through November? His career is in the toilet. We have five years to fix this. Why waste a month or two on a guy who just presided over this atrocity? This arrogant d-bag took the easiest job imaginable to boost his credibility/legacy/ego, and completely effed it up. I could have coached this team to 4th place in the Hex. What a joke. He should never again be involved in anything pertaining to US Soccer.

Whoops, same with Sunil and Bradley. Keep Sunil on the WC committee or whatever else that guy does to bring in money. Don't care, but if he's selecting the next head coach, per that Ives article, we are in trouble (for the third time). Tab can coach this squad of young guys until someone new, god willing, arrives in February and makes a change.

Bradley - what a punk. Have some honor. His post-game interview sounded like they just lost a friendly to Lithuania. If he is ever on the field again for the USNT, I'm guaranteed to not watch that game, and lose considerable interest in the team as a whole.

These guys are a bunch of jokers. At least if you stand up and take full responsibility, we might not be happy, but we at least can respect you. Now? Just reinforces the coddled, arrogant theme. Bruce said it was his fault and he takes responsibility after the game. I'm waiting for his next interview where he says he was just kidding, to mess with the media. Wasn't his fault at all, it was the field and conditions.

Unreal.

TxEx, Namdynamo, jnielsen and 7 others repped this.
  19. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They form a narcissistic feedback loop.

Greg Heaney, roadkit and jnielsen repped this.
  20. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    TxEx, Namdynamo, TOAzer and 5 others repped this.
  21. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Arena should reign asap. If he doesn't fie him. Gulati needs to be voted out at the election early next year. Impossible to justify either of them, although I am saving most of my frustration for the players faillures

23. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #23 KCbus, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    I was completely unaware of Michael Bradley's status as a social justice warrior, but I don't know why anyone cares. It's become a pejorative, but I'd rather be a SJW than someone who sits idly at home actively not giving a f*** about other people.

As for Arena... it's been an accepted truth ever since he took over for Klinsmann that he was just a temporary hire. There's no way he's going to continue, so I'm not losing my mind that he hasn't resigned yet by 11:36 AM, eastern time on the 12th. If a friendly or two pops up before or during January camp, SOMEBODY'S gotta be the coach. And if Gulati really is going to be on the way out, we might as well wait until the new president is installed before getting serious about a coaching change. There's zero benefit to appointing someone in the interim, only to turn around and have the new president fire him because he's not "his guy."

jayd8888, Suyuntuy, spot and 5 others repped this.
  24. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought SJW meant Single Jewish Woman. I guess it makes more sense now. :unsure:

25. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Member

Jun 18, 2002
    ATX

I agree. Arena did a good job and will be a valuable transition if we decide to replace him as coach. Maybe he can stick around until we can put Bob Bradley in place. In the meantime, hopefully we can get a few games to start trying out players like Bradley and Gonzalez so we can get some more film on them.