About Xabi Alonso

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by SirManchester, Aug 10, 2004.

1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I haven't seen much of this guy and I know that Liverpool have made a 10.7 million pound move for him. If he is to become a Liverpoolian, I'd like to know a few things about him and if he is indeed worth of putting on a Liverpool jersey. I know he plays in Spain with Sociedad, that's about it.

Does anyone know about him? His strengths, weaknesses, what position he's best int, etc?

Much appreciated.

2. Anomaly385

Anomaly385 New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    From the snippets I have seen on FSW, he is primarily a defensive/holding type of midfielder who has pace and, unlike Didi at most times, will actively go forward and seek out goals. If we do get him, we will most likely play him in the center, a bit behind Gerrard. Basically, he is our replacement for Hamann, and offers us 90% of Didi's defensive prowess with a whole lot more attacking ability.

This deal, if it comes through, would be perfect for LFC. But we would still need a RM.

3. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He is the same type of player as Gerrard. He should be a defensive midfielder, but wants to move forward. I don't think he will really fit in. He would have been a good replacement for Gerrard, not an ideal partner. I don't think it will be money well spent as the wing is a more pressing issue. The only way this works is if we sell Hamann and get SWP.

4. Anomaly385

Anomaly385 New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    very true. RM is still by far our biggest priority. 2nd would be a new, pacier CH, and finally third would be a CM. But I think Alonso and Gerrard will mesh together nicely... I just wish our right flank could be sorted out first.

5. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just curious as to whether Rafa will play Gerrard on the right (he did once in preseason) until we get that position sorted out. Or at least Finnan in the short term.

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Except Gerrard isn't a defensive midfielder. He is an attacking midfielder who can track back and win the ball, but that's not his strength. Xabi seems to be the exact converse of that, which would make him a perfect complement.

7. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    From what it seems like, Rafa has his head up his ass spending too much time in Spain, Xabi to Liverpool and Owen to Madrid....all rubbish. He should pursue SWP as soon possible and then go after other matters.

8. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think another good option from Spain for the RM position would be Joaquin from Betis. He has tremendous potential. Manchester wanted to pick him up but his father wouldn't let that happen.

9. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    It makes sense because Rafa has the most intimate knowledge of Spanish players, and familiarity with English players will come in time.

In the meantime, I think Wright-Phillips would be a good addition but I'm afraid he's overvalued. He's coming off a breakout season, and although he has nearly zero experience at the world class level, English players are always going to be a little overpriced compared to their European counterparts, supply and demand, market forces and whatnot. All things considered, you can get more bang for the buck (or the Euro, in this case) with a Spanish player, all else being equal.

10. Iberian

Iberian Member

Jun 10, 2004
    New Jersey, USA
    Xabi Alonso has the potential to become the best DM in Spain, and in a few years (with Vieira coming of age), probably the best. He was the heart of Real Sociedad when they almost won the league two seasons ago, showing to be an excellent player. He can hold, he can attack, has a hell of a mid range shot, but his main strenght is that he can distribute the ball with vision and judgement, and gives the team a lot of stability. With him on the field, playing at his normal level, Liverpool would always dominate the possesion and the midfield (even though this alone does not win games).
    However, he does come with a defect. Xabi is the shy type (if you look at him or his picture he looks like a hooligan, but he is far from it). He is a very silent man, seems to make friends slowly, and is a clear candidate to have problems to adapt to new environments, just like he is adapting to the NT, but at a slow pace. He is a nice guy, always staying far from the press or the front lines. He is very young though, and so far he hasn't failed and usually does hit his mark, but I would think that he may require some patiente, and definitely a lot of support from Benitez in the beginning. This does not mean, however, that he hides in big games, he doesn't (Real Sociedad made a habbit of beating up the bigger teams with him inspired), he is just a bit to cautious (he has not shown anything at the NT when it was needed, very few games, not a starter...). Give him confidence, build him up a little, and he will become a beast, you just have to do it right. He is definitely a good signing, but one to see results from in a few months, maybe a year. He won't blow away anyone in the beginning. You already have Gerrard, Hamman...Xabi could then go into the team slowly, and then take over (I do think he would just picking up the best level he's had at Real Sociedad).

11. Anomaly385

Anomaly385 New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    Alonso seems perfect. We let him settle in and Hamann can teach him the ropes at LFC. In a year, we sell Hamann back to munich, Alonso steps in, and we are good!

SWP is good, but not 10 million pounds good, which is the minimum price I believe City will sell him for. Mebbe 7 million, not 10. So I think that we could very well start Finnan at RM against Spurs, unless another we start getting linked with another RM.

12. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I hope they answered you questions. I just wanted to correct your Liverpoolian to Liverpudlian. It might just save your life when you finally get to see them at Anfield... :cool:

13. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe City already rejected a 7.5 million pound bid from one of the rich-ass London clubs . . .

14. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A most gracious thanks to you dudes! A Most EXCELLENT discussion!

15. Kimmy

Kimmy New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Geez,

I wish you´d give Benitez a break - don´t expect wonders he needs to BUILD UP a new team and a young player like Alonso is necessary, with the right manager he can be formed into a world class player.
    Raffa will spend a lot of money but I don´t mind - LFC is rich and can afford to spend, spend, spend.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2004370694,00.html

Above a small snippet out of the "news"paper the Sun

16. TruReds

TruReds New Member

Jun 12, 2004
    KL
    i thought Joaquin is impossible to get at this moment. :(

17. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Alonso isn't playing in Real Sociedad's next friendly...thought u guys would like to know.

18. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
  19. Anomaly385

Anomaly385 New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    Reports are abounding on the internet that we have signed Alonso for 11 million pounds, and, as has been mentioned, he has been left out of Sociedad's next friendly.

Which means, either he is on his way to LFC, or Madrid just pulled off a huge transfer, using Viera as a smokescreen. But I think he is ours :)

20. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    Spanish radio said that as well - I was listening to the Real Madrid-Wisla game on Radio Marca and they said it was a done deal (I don't recall them mentioning a fee) - still, I wouldn't be certain until it's announced by the clubs.

21. mikeb3142

mikeb3142 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Pasadena CA
    Alsonso is class. You guys would love him, he and Gerrard will be a thing to watch.

22. UVALaw

UVALaw New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Alonso is a great player. At this point I would welcome any decent midfielder as Biscan appears to be the only backup we have left. We are in desperate need of a right midfielder. Rumor has it we may get Juanfran from Madrid in part exchange for Owen.

23. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    excellent prospect who is only 19 but has impressed in youth competitions, most recently winning the euro youth championship. very little experience of top flight football, but looks promising - good dribbler.

24. laytonbaker

laytonbaker New Member

May 27, 2004