Abby Wambach arrested for drunk driving

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by YankBastard, Apr 3, 2016.

1. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    I know for a fact that USMNT hate puppies and eat baby seals.

But they don't laugh at the US women for trying to get equally paid.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    People need to stop beclowning themselves on this issue. They really do. You almost NEVER plead guilty to anything above a traffic ticket unless you're gunning for an actual plea deal.

exref and Gamecock14 repped this.
  3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Please stop.

4. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming Abby was driving under the influence, that was wrong, potentially dangerous to others, and there should be consequences.
    I am sure it seems dishonest to you; how you feel is something I cannot refute. Regarding legal hocus pocus: I have read that in Portland, OR, one cannot do a plea deal for DUII. I understand that plea deals usually involve pleading guilty to some offense in exchange for a lesser sentence, which is often done for first time offenders in other situations (places, violations). I don't criticize her for seeking to minimize her punishment under the law; most people would do so. Since the plea deal option is not available to her, it makes sense to me that the only other option to potentially minimize her sentence is to plead not guilty and work from there.
    Regarding gaming the system: At this point she is following advice of her lawyer, which she should have done when being questioned by the police.

And thinking to apply logic to our legal system suggests an unfounded credulity on your part.

5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Both bold parts are especially dead-on.

It's a term of art used to shut down debate and shield from criticism.

As for the bold, let me be one of those people (and Auria and I don't often agree, to say the least).

Bingo. It's - at best - a lazy accusation that surrenders the argument while claiming victory.

Further bingo.

sitruc, Auriaprottu and chungachanga repped this.
  6. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy mansplaining, bro. I mean, mansplaining about mansplaining. That has to be a first for me. If I wasn't sure before, I'm certain now.

First, lets clear something up. I'm a guy. Women are not the only women's soccer fans. Equality runs both ways, women aren't the only people who can accuse you of sexism. It's both somewhat sad and fitting that you thought I was a woman because of how I responded. What does my gender have to do with what we are talking about?

I wish you actually would answer the part that you actually quoted. My question still stands unanswered. Why are you defending the actions of Bedoya & Altidore? Remove Abby Wambach from your answer. Say nothing about her. Focus your lens completely on Bedoya & Altidore's behavior & whether it's appropriate in ANY context. That response above? What I heard from you was a lengthy explanation of why a tomato is a fruit while your putting them in a fruit salad. Didn't really answer the question of why your doing it because I don't think you really know the answer.

I don't have to go that far back, I only have to go to the first page of this thread & the first time you injected yourself into the conversation. You only responded, and have only responded, when the issue of Bedoya & Altidore's ass hatery was brought up. That's speaks volumes to me. What are you responding to?

Yes, your right about Wambach, I don't think anybody on here is disagreeing with that. We both agree she ********ed up, both in regards to her opinions about foreign players & the DUII. I think we are on the same side there, bro, with the only difference in opinion being that I don't think Wambach is as xenophobic as your implying, I think she just screwed up royally in trying to describe it. I agree with you that there leaves little room for interpretation for how she said, but I still think she meant something different, even if there's no evidence to support that. I have a hard time believing someone is THAT xenophobic.

So we've reached that point again, where, the only thing that remains is Bedoya & Altidore. Let's make it as simple as possible.

Do you think Bedoya & Altidore's comments were appropriate for members of the United States Mens National Team to make publicly? Yes or No?

7. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mansplaining to defend mansplaining about mansplaining. Oh my.

8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It's mansplaining all the way down! Ye gods!

Lazy.

9. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You responded to two very longs posts with a post with five sentences and I'm the lazy one? Please. Let the grown-ups talk.

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    While people who casually toss around terms like "mansplaining" to cover a difference of opinion or shield someone from criticism might technically meet the age of majority and thus be considered adults, I find the utter avoidance of good-faith debate and the dismissive terminology that is - whether you care to admit it or not - designed from the very beginning to close the door on disagreement and/or trigger a re-framing of the debate around stupid shit like this rather unbecoming of adults.

Auria appears to be more initially indulgent of such things - maybe out of a desire to defend his position ultimately against a tactic which will immediately reduce said defense to the very same thing - "mansplaining". I don't have such patience - which, of course, will be reduced immediately to "mansplaining". Ever will it be so.

Congratulations.

11. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree with you if not for the fact that you both have avoided the actual point of the debate and attacked me and others instead. Conspiracy of Silence I believe it's called, which is a tenet of mansplaining...

Answer the question and we can go on with the debate like adults: Do you think that Altidore & Bedoya's comments and the manner with which they made them were appropriate for members of the prestigious USMNT to make?

12. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Have you ever heard the expression, "Much ado about nothing?"

taosjohn repped this.
  13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    :thumbsup:

Remove the recently added loaded term "prestigious" and the answer is, quite correctly, who cares? But if you're pressing, Bedoya's comment, in particular is a mild rebuke to a person who shot their mouth off in a rather insulting way in response to her major unforced error of endangering fellow drivers in the eyes of the law. It is so mild that ordinarily, and stripping the gender issue out (as if that genie can be put back in the bottle), it is a huge nothing and more than par for the course on freakin' Twitter. Altidore added a similarly mild-ish rebuke pointing out a level of hypocrisy that exists that many USWNT fans are reluctant to acknowledge regarding another lightning rod personality who did something very similar and added theft to the picture.

I see very little here.

sitruc repped this.
  14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    What does this have to do with anything?

bigredfutbol repped this.
  15. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That read mostly as a justification of their behavior (ie tomatoes are a fruit) but you did add this particular bit so you did in a way answer the question:

This is then where we disagree and is IMO the source of the discontent about the anger towards the two. I for one like to think role models in Bedoya & Altidore's position can do better than par on Twitter. Being a jerk because "everybody is a jerk or a bigger jerk" is not an acceptable position to take. Two wrongs don't make a right. Alexi Lalas is probably one of the biggest US Soccer jerks on twitter, & more often than not I don't agree with the bile he spews, but he at least understood there is a time & place for everything. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Lalas is an example of how you respond when someone you consider to be reasonably your equal (a member of the US Soccer community) makes a mistake. If I was him I probably would have sharpened the barb a bit more, but that's just me.

16. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Are you too dense to get the hint?

17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Your paragon of virtue, Alexi Lalas, answered a question that was never asked, though: he said it doesn't make her a bad person. Well, no shit, but Bedoya did not say that, and neither did Altidore. You're actually ascribing to Lalas more virtue than he intended, and you're assuming he was directly addressing Bedoya/Altidore. There is no indication that I see that he was, and IF he was, he was accusing them of something they never posited. I'd be happy to look at any evidence that says otherwise.

Also, I said "more than" par, which I guess is ambiguous, but in context, means "pretty damn mild as far as Twitter goes".

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Passive-aggressive, mealymouthed posting is also unbecoming.

Smallchief repped this.
  19. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lord have mercy, you don't get it, do you? It has NOTHING to do with what what was actually said and EVERYTHING to do with how it was said. Lalas was professional & respectful, your boys were not. Lalas was addressing the issue at hand, your boys were not. Lalas actually said a few things about Wambach that I disagree with, while your boys said things that I actually agree with, but you know... Lalas was the better man here.

Paragon of virtue? No. Paragon of Class.

That's still a "others are jerks & bigger jerks so it's okay if he was a jerk" argument. It's still you saying two wrongs make a right. It's still Bedoya & Altidore being public about their dislike of Wambach & USWNT players when the right thing for them to do was to saying something nice or nothing at all.

20. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    1) She messed up but most of the media will cover it with a positive slant as they have always done with Abby. The cocaine thing though, why admit to that? :thumbsdown:

2) I get were Bedoya's coming from (he's a bit of an idiot on Twitter too though so can't say I'm on his side all that much) but Altidore? I wish he'd focus on being productive on the pitch instead of "winning" on Twitter.

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Do you have the vapors?

"My boys"? For the record, I'm not much of a fan of Bedoya, or of Twitter (at all). I like Altidore quite a bit more.

I see that you value style above all in an informal medium. That's taking things a bit - well, ultra-seriously doesn't quite work here, because style emphasis is the antithesis of serious, but holding others to that standard is very prescriptive - isn't it? Yes, Lalas was a nice man. Good for him. He doesn't have much of a reason to feel aggrieved by the words and actions of the USWNT at the moment, since he's been out of the playing picture for a long time. The others might, and by indications, a couple of them do. Losing one's shit over this or whining about "mansplaining" or really anything else when a public person opened themselves up very publicly to this stuff is kid's stuff. She sowed the wind, etc. etc. Sucks for her.

You're assuming that mild, needling tweets are anywhere in the same league as breaking the law while cultivating an image (or allowing the cultivation on your behalf) of being "above" the things that athletes typically end up getting involved in. They may be a "wrong", if one is a simpering fool who views any remotely perceivable negative human interaction as a wrong, I guess.

22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I don't get the playing criticism of Altidore. He has a similar strike rate to the all-time best scorers in the history of the team.

23. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Tbh, it's because I think he can do better. He has the talent to be better but I don't think he has enough motivation (if that's even the right word) to be better.

24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    This is a discussion outside the scope of this thread, but I don't think motivation is a problem. PM me if you want to discuss further.

25. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Will do. Hopefully I selected the right option on Big Soccer to do so :)