Abby Wambach announces retirement

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Blaze20, Oct 27, 2015.

?

Did Abby self-retire or was she told to retire?

1. Abby made the decision on her own

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Abby was advised to retire

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    And let us not forget that a lot of Abby's assists were on Mia--and vice versa. And that Abby extended Mia's effective career an indeterminate amount by being half of the scissors when Mia was no longer both blades. And that Mia was the extra oomph in Abby's getting a handle on conditioning, without which there would not have been an Abby of note at all.

And so on--we could chase our tails around this particular tree all week without ever clarifying which one was Ruth and which was Gehrig...

McSkillz, sitruc and cpthomas repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I read this for some reason the only thought that comes to my mind is, why wasn't she in the room to begin with?

4. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    In her defense, maybe the meeting hadn't started?

5. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds super random. It should be like, one day Abby runs in and goes "Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know at the end of the victory tour I'm going to save 15% by switching to Geico, oh yeah and I'm retiring"

I take cash or check Geico....... thanks :D

6. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the Loney write up and had some questions about some comments he made that I don't know what he's referring to...

• It was Abby Wambach, along with Kristine Lilly, who decided to make an example of Hope Solo for a semifinal debacle she wasn't on the field for.
    • And it was Abby Wambach who volunteered to coach a mini-US national team in Boca Raton while singing the praises of a man who harassed underlings and flattered stars like Wambach.
    • From human rights crusader to lawn care shill, with zero public consequences. Her mouth wrote checks that - well, her mouth wrote checks that got her real checks she could cash. No need to guess where Alex Morgan learned to chase dollar bills like they were Pokémon.
    • With the wife that she now deigns to acknowledge in public.
    I'm not trying to bash Wambach, or even Loney, I just don't know what he's referring to with these comments. Can someone explain these lines?

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with your post, both the +++ and the ---.

I don't think we'll see a next Abby Wambach. She's scored the most goals ever in international competition, for both men and women. Maybe some day, someone will exceed her total, but I think she and her attributes are unique.

8. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    not too much different than has been said about her many times on these boards.

sitruc repped this.
  9. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I try not to get too into things like this but I'll try and help you out.
    • The 2007 WWC. Type it into Google along with Hope Solo/Greg Ryan/Brazil and you should get all of your answers.
    • Again, Google will help. Search for Dan Barislow/MagicJack/WPS
    • This I'm not too sure about. There were rumblings about her concerns over the turf being tied to the fact that she's sponsored by a lawn care company. Not sure about the Morgan thing either, maybe he knows something I don't.
    • Not an expert in this area either but I do know a lot of people didn't like that she lived in a "glass closet" so to speak until very recently.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  10. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    I kind of think she got the Scott's sponsorship based on her attempts to get the WWC turf issue addressed, not the other way around. Apparently, Scott's even offered a free to Canada solution... so. What's the big deal about Abby and Alex Morgan capitalizing on their positions to get endorsement deals. Is this inappropriate? Seems totally appropriate to me and the only avenue for women players to approach the level of compensation their talents and responsibilities have earned. Who has a problem with this?

Who labels Abby in American Flag celebrating a win as "Abby Wambach with prop" on the front page of Big Soccer? A Hater, I would say. So he is entitled to his $ad-A$$ Jerk opinion, just like I am and anyone else on here.... but then where is there another front page essay with a different perspective? Because if that is the best BS can come up with, well that's BS, I say.

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I don't see anywhere on these boards that anyone have discussed her personal live and deride her for not being open enough. For me, that was the final straw.

crog1967 and McSkillz repped this.
  12. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    His comments were really raw and pretty vicious.
    Well, it is on the front page of the site, on the day the world's leading scorer retired. That sort of sets it apart. Some themes were addresseed in the boards, but there were some that were new, IIRC. Something tells me that POS has been squirreling away a catalog of supposed Abby misdeeds for her retirement column or obituary. It was a fire hydrant of douchebagness. The other thing I am really annoyed about is that BS no longer has comment sections for these columns.

I am actually sort of surprised I didn't a card issued to me, but I see Blaze 20 was sufficiently aghast and let my comments slide. Probably the BS equivalent of a "stern talking to" by the Center Ref.

McSkillz and soccersubjectively repped this.
  13. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Didn't know Wambach was tied to those first two as closely as she was.

For however polarizing Wambach is, I would think Loney would be more tactful if he was trying to make any other point than creating a dumpster fire.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agree, I bet when Landon Donovan retired, there were like several positive wonderful tributes made for him. The bloggers on BS are incredibly sexist and if anyone wanders out of the women's section for a second and realize 90 percent of people that frequent BS don't give two s**** if the entire WoSo program blew up in flames.

exref repped this.
  16. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    But with one huge difference. When someone retires you should only say nice things, if you can't you just shut up an silently rejoice that you are finally rid of her/him.

17. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can still comment on front page columns. It just uses disqus instead of a BS comment format. You might have to wait a little bit for them to load. It takes about another 20 seconds for them to load for me after the column has. There's currently 19 comments on that blog entry.

18. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    not sure such a rule exists.

in fact vitriol quite regularly is generated precisely by the announcement of a controversial individual's retirement.

...even tho i didn't agree with loney's blog post.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    90% of the people on any given board don't care about any other board.

//more made up statistics brought to you by the 83%

Romario'sgurl and Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  20. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not sure if this was posted yet but this was Abby Wambach I think before the final. She was in her usual fashion, overly dramatic but she created a lot of tears in fans eyes that day.......

21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US

The feed of Abby's appearance at The National Press Cllub, last week.

CoachJon repped this.
  23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abby in High School 1995 and 17 years later on USWNT 2012.
    She defined INTENSE on the field....
    ....sometimes a sledge hammer is more effective than a katana blade...............

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

McSkillz repped this.
  24. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    The comments don't work the version of Chrome I was using. Besides, it's asinine that Bigsoccer blogs use Discus for their comments. Comments worked in IIS, but I am not going to take the time to sign up for another account.

25. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I first started watching her (back in the WUSA days), defenders would try to bump her off the ball and just fall down, whereupon Wambach would be whistled for the foul. She eventually learned that she had to fall down to get the calls. But, yes, she went on to often try too hard to get the foul calls.

McSkillz and sitruc repped this.