Abby Wambach announces retirement

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Blaze20, Oct 27, 2015.

?

Did Abby self-retire or was she told to retire?

1. Abby made the decision on her own

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Abby was advised to retire

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Well this certainly deserves it's own thread. Post your favorites moments from her career here.

I like many will always remember that overtime goal against Brazil. Brings tears to my eyes every time.

McSkillz and soccersubjectively repped this.
  2. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    One of the most amazing and iconic moments in any sporting event. I loved this, unwitnessed by us, noted at the bottom of the USSF announcement:

"Mary Abigail Wambach grew up in Rochester, N.Y., the youngest of seven children and excelled at soccer from the beginning, scoring 27 goals in her first three games at the age of five, necessitating a switch to competing against boys." Remember those obnoxious Greatness Has Been Found Ts? I guess hers has been on display since the very beginning.

McSkillz and soccersubjectively repped this.
  3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Does that read more like an orbit than a retirement announcement to anyone else?

4. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Abby is one of the all-time best in the game. She will be missed and she is a trailblazer. It's sad, but understandable. She had to endure too much abuse and disrespect over the past year despite still being a top scorer and contributor. Ungrateful fans suck.

McSkillz repped this.
  5. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I wanted her retire and it is her time to go but I can still respect the legacy that she's leaving behind. Thanks for battling through the barren years for the USWNT where people barely watched or came to see you play after the 99ers had retired. That goal vs Brazil in the 2011 WC will always be my favourite moment of you and I'm glad you got to leave with your WC medal, finally.

Thanks Abby Wambach.

lil_one, McSkillz, Calci0 and 1 other person repped this.
  6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I guess after not playing in 3 games straight, she saw the writing on the wall.

I thought I would never say this but it seems Jill Ellis is full steam ahead in changing this team and doing it now.

OK, Christie Rampone, I'm assuming your farewell game will be in Hawaii?

cpthomas repped this.
  7. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Nah, I think she's known for a while, maybe since before the World Cup. I think the Federation has its hands all over the timing and kind of put her in this semi-awkward position of having to say, "Still deciding, still deciding" until it was finally time to announce (after White House and after final games are scheduled and announced).

8. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    She has been kind of larger than life, but no.

9. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, the 2011 goal against Brazil has to top the list. But for us Freedom fans the Golden Goal she scored against the Beat to give the team the 2003 Founders Cup is well up there.

I feel privileged to have seen her go from an unproven rookie to one of the best players ever.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ah, I get you. So you think she was going to retire all along and they knew it but wanted to milk it for all it was worth and make as much money as possible on this tour? Yup, that makes sense.

mamalia repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on the internet is confused (and it's not Sunil):

659105633644318720 is not a valid tweet id

12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2011 goal will never not give me chills. The 2003 goal, OTOH, is my least favorite Abby goal ever.

kernel_thai repped this.
  13. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Okay:

"Now (s)he belongs to the ages."

(Edwin M Stanton, adapted.)

EbaJones, McSkillz and Semblance17 repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    i think its time... most likely past time. She was a ghost of herself in the WWC and I dont think Ellis was going to take her to Brazil. Retiring now, at the end of the Cha Ching tour, allows her to go out on top and doesnt force Ellis into the awkward position of having to Landon her. Every player reaches this point and this is good for everybody.

Abby has the scoring record for now but in my mind, there will always only be one Mia Hamm. Abby contributed a lot over the years but will never be a Mia

uncchamps2012 repped this.
  16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Abby never tried to be Mia and it would have been silly if she had.

//I meant obit not orbit earlier.

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even Mia wasn't crazy about being Mia.

soccersubjectively and taosjohn repped this.
  18. topsyturvy

topsyturvy Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Good point. Mia was shy and just went with spot light to get people watch women's soccer. They were completely different players. Abby showed up big in the Olympics and World Cups scoring wise. Something Mia never did. Mia game was a lot more eye pleasing to watch. Abby was the much better big game player.

19. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

20. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that reference. I was actually watching a lecture from a Lincoln biographer on C-SPAN 2 back at my hotel after the Orlando game the other day, while I was still in a [particularly] patriotic mood.

Technically "Now" won't be until December 16, which I'm surprised no one else has brought up.

"Wambach will be with the team for all four of its December matches, but her final game for the USA will come on Dec. 16 against China PR in New Orleans as the USA plays its last match of the 10-game Victory Tour to celebrate the championship at the 2015 Women’s World Cup."

21. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Too bad she didn't win the WWC in her prime time, but still a good finish, the 2nd goal setup in the semi started from her.

22. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That is great from Kobe:thumbsup:.

Well, like her style or not Mary Abigail Wambach is without any doubt one of the greatest players in female football and deserve to have her career celebrated. So from France merci Abby et bonne chance.
    [​IMG]

23. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those tees annoyed me for several reasons: the passive voice, the implication that the hard-fought victory in the Olympics was something the team stumbled upon accidentally rather than earning decisively with amazing effort, blood, sweat, and tears...
    Leave it to Nike to summarize an unbelievable journey with a grammatically and rhetorically atrocious catchphrase.

Anyway, I will miss Abby, and I'm very happy she was able to earn that one item missing from her résumé before stepping aside.

[​IMG]

debzy and McSkillz repped this.
  24. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC

I love the rattle of the goal, the reaction of the crowd, the reaction of Ian Darke, Wambach's exuberance, one of my all time favorite futbol moments EVER. Not just WOSO, but period!!!!

exref, lil_one, cpthomas and 1 other person repped this.