Aaron Ramsey Jr thread - First Blood

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DutchCane, Oct 6, 2011.

1. canadagooner

canadagooner Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You're crazy, and correct..

2. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd like to see Ramsey finish even half the awesome chances in front of goal he gets lately.

3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patience. IIRC, Cesc had some pretty comical misses in front of goal before he became a decent finisher.

4. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agreed. I'm just venting.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i always said we should give arshavin a shot upfront

6. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think this is why I have had more patience than most with him. I would have liked to see him get an extended chance at his favorite and natural position. Also because even though he could be having a howler of a day, he just has those moments where he delivers a ridiculous ball.

7. HarveyDent

HarveyDent Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was played out of position almost his entire time here. Wish he could have gotten a shot in the Bergkamp role. It would have been interesting to see how he compared to Cesc and Nasri given a real chance in his natural position.

8. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramsey is going to go through next year what Jack had this year

Absolutely irresponsible the way he's been used but the club refuses to try and improve and sign a player to take the load off

So ********ing arrogant

9. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm usually a pretty optimistic guy but this situation scares me. Why play a guy so much who is coming back from a devastating injury? It seems risky at best to me, horribly dangerous at worst.

10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Because we have no one else.

11. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I don't recall that at all. Actually, I thought he had a nose for the goal from the beginning but did not have a lot of chances to show it since he was playing so deeply.

12. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    He has talked about his struggles in front of goal. It was when he started playing the more advanced position. Credits Wenger for helping him through it. He told him he was just too anxious and was rushing his final ball. Learning to be composed and realizing there was more time than he perceived was the key.

13. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Cesc didn't move further upfield until we moved to a 4-3-3 in 2009, and he had 19 goals that season.

I remember him not scoring before then, but I attributed that to him not being in high percentage positions to score. I don't remember him missing a lot of good chances. Maybe, I'm wrong though.

14. antiwhinger

antiwhinger Member

Nov 1, 2008
    cambridge
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why not try Ozzie in Ramsey's role?

apparently, he was really good for the reserves today. at least he found a way to beat Bolton.

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he would be a good number 10, a mobile arshavin lol

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't a boat load, but IIRC, it was comparable to the number of chances/misses that Ramsey is making now. If you find stats that say otherwise, I'll defer.

17. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I don't know if they keep stats for chances/misses, and I wouldn't even know where to find them if they did. *shrugs*

I just remember Cesc scoring in the Community Shield against ManU or Chelsea or someone with his mullet and not being convinced he was ready to fill Vieira's shoes. I don't remember him missing a lot of chances (like I remember Rosicky missing a lot - even the year he bagged a good number of goals), but I definitely don't have any stats to back it up.

18. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cesc didn't start scoring until the 07/08 season where he netted something like 10.

19. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    That year was an anomaly for him. He really did not start scoring until the 2009 season when we moved closer to the goal. Anyway, we aren't discussing how many goals he scored but rather how many good chances he missed.

20. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah 07/08.....I thought we had the perfect team until Flamini and Hleb decided to leave...

21. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep. great squad.

I always talk about that team.

22. stoppre16

stoppre16 Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Yep, for me that team should have been the foundation for the next 5 years after rebuilding from the invincibles. But then the injuries to Eduardo and Rosicky, losing Flamini and Hleb, and Adebayor losing his motivation and work rate cost that group any chance at being great. Imagine if we'd been able add a player like Nasri as depth rather than bringing him in as a replacement for Hleb. In my opinion, whether it was possible or not, not keeping that group together has put us in the position we're in now of perpetually rebuilding.

23. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im fairly confident we would have never bought Nasri had Hleb stayed.

just not the way we do business it seems.

also, as good as that team was, we still had one massive issue then that we still have now: lack of depth.

24. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    have to agree. :(

25. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Song becoming the player he is today, we could've rotate him with Flamini BUT Song would'nt have been the player he is today had Flamini not left.