Aaron Ramsey Jr thread - First Blood

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DutchCane, Oct 6, 2011.

1. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    to clarify, he's like Giroud. useful, but as things are now he won't get in the team.

2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    a) tackling is very much part of Ramsey's game. The data backs it up. Watching him play backs it up. He makes and completes lots of tackles.

b) what I bolded, thats absolute rubbish.

You can say Ramsey coming back may disrupt our balance. Its not a controversial view. But to say Ramsey cant tackle and Coquelin is a distributor are just not correct statements under any circumstance.

DutchCane repped this.
  3. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    I wish Ramsey would start scoring again. We need more goals from midfield as Xhaka's hits go in once in a while and I don't expect Ozil's goal run to continue.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I wish Ramsey would start playing again.

5. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah we need Ramsey (largely because we need effective rotations) to have any shot at winning something this year.

Same with Giroud - we'll really need him some point.

mebeSajid and DutchCane repped this.
  6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Indeed. Hopefully he's back soon.

Does anyone else think that Elneny is essentially "meh"?

7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    a lot of people are coming to grips with that, including myself.

8. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Is there such a thing as a good "meh"? If so, I feel that way about him.

9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's not a bad player, but his passing isn't incisive enough, and he's slow enough that he doesn't provide a ton of protection for the back 4. He's taken some time to improve everywhere he's gone, so there's hope that he gets better, but right now he's nothing but depth.

10. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    In all honesty it seems he is there to be a role player. Coquelin has stepped up, and Xhaka is Xhaka. Cazorla is at that age where injuries are more frequent so maybe Wenger got him to be substance in the cups with a eye that he has the potential with hard work to be a good player.

11. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    What's happening with Ramsey though? Now is the perfect time to start playing. When we hit that run of tough games I think it would be perfect for him to be fit.

12. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    El Neny is a 2nd Coq essentially... but Coq is beasting so he isn't going to get a look in there. But if we want to rotate the best rotation would be Iwobi and Ramsey, Coq and Elneny, Theo and Perez, Sanchez and Welbeck.

13. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    ElNenny? I don't talk about him cause there's nothing to talk about

mebeSajid repped this.
  14. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Coquelin is like how makelele was in the day, or a Matic, a holding player whose main job is to tackle and pass it to more able players like Santi or Ozil.

Ramsey is high energy, and his principal role is not to destroy opponents' play like Coq. it's not a fair comparison.

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    El neney is a great squad player but not a good enough passer to play as the dlp

Wouldn't mind seeing him next to xhaka or caz

16. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Coq isn't a holding Midfielder... in fact we don't play with a Makelele type player. Coq's job is to press the ball when we lose possession immediately and as high up the pitch as possible while the rest of the team collapses. Ramsey has the legs to do that, and is a better dribbler, shooter, and is generally a more ambitious player. I think he and Iwobi are a better comparison.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Coquelin plays nothing like Makelele. Makelele sat and broke up attacks from deep. Even before this season, Coquelin pressed to win the ball higher up the pitch. This season, Coquelin plays further up the pitch to win the ball higher up. He is also a high energy player. I just am not sure you are articulating yourself clear, or you are not sure what you are watching every week.

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah makalele was a deeper guy in more of a bustiers role where as coq is more like a naingolan sort of pressed or gattuso

19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think Kante is the better comp for Makelele. Don't really have a good comp for Coquelin (though it's clear that Wenger really doesn't like deep lying defensive midfielders).

20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    yeah, Wenger wont use Xhaka that way even though thats where Xhaka became a great player.

21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    More a function of mobility with Xhaka, I think. Xhaka is still our deepest midfielder. We're likely to see Xhaka and Ramsey together after the interlull, IMO.

22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i know Xhaka plays the deepest, but Xhaka's greatest strength is his long range passing. Collecting off the centerbacks and getting the ball to Ozil/Theo/Sanchez in dangerous positions from the centerback position is something that could be a blessing but Wenger doesnt play like that.

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If the CBs can build well out of the back (and it looks like Mustafi is good at it), it becomes less of an issue. The risk of counterattacks is terrifying though, especially given how many more fast forwards the Premier League has now than it did five years ago.

This team structure is a ticking time bomb, IMO, and some team is going to make all those counter chances stick - the Swansea and Middlesbrough games should be warning signs to Wenger.

24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    having a CB that can build out the back means we should see more of Xhaka from deep, imo. Its harder to take Xhaka out the game because you cannot press both. There will always be an available option.

Im not sure how having Xhaka sit so deep leads to a counter attack risk?

25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My bad - really sleepy today. Meant to say that the current structure of the team leads to a risk of counterattacks (as we saw with Boro).

DutchCane and DaPrince84 repped this.