Aaron Ramsey Jr thread - First Blood

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DutchCane, Oct 6, 2011.

1. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is mind-boggling to me. Ramsey has clearly performed better throughout his career when he is advanced in midfield. His best attribute is his skill in and around the box. His worst attribute is positional discipline. I suppose he could be a very good deeper midfielder if he learned how to play positionally. But he's turning 26 this season and I don't see him changing his stripes. Why Wenger can't see this is beyond me. He refuses to acknowledge that his players have weaknesses that need to be considered when incorporating them into the game plan.

2. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you figure? His best period was the nearly 2 calendar years he played with Arteta in a double pivot, and what made him great in that time was his ability to be a difference maker in all phases.

I think Wenger bought Zhaka specifically to try to get the best out of Ramsey by giving him an ideal partner.

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He needs 2 holding player behind him

Wenger is an idiot

4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A number of us disagree with you on that. Against bad teams, Ramsey should be played next to Xhaka (which is partly why he was signed). Against mid-table sides, mix and match based on the oppositions. Possession only becomes an issue against the teams that are really good in midfield, and only Man City and Tottenham fit that definition in England.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Against anyone who can pass the ball and move it well in posession and also counter attack

Ramsey needs to play in a diamond or as the most advanced cm in a 4 3 3

6. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I just have a feeling xhaka and elneny are going to dominate the deep midfield slots. Not just on our team, but in the league. They both are pretty aware defensively and collected moving the ball forward. I don't think Ramsey can compete with them in the deep slots. Advanced he can't compete with ozil and even santi on his day.

I think Ramsey will find himself being slotted in wherever he's needed--on the right, from the bench when we are fighting for a goal, #10 when mesut is tired or hurt, tactically when AW wants 5 possession players, etc.

Another season like last and I'd guess his agent will be in his ear about moving on to a club where he can be deployed similarly to his exploits with Wales.

7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Apparently Ramsey was thinking about leaving this summer.

8. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You nailed it. He is becoming the swiss knife of the MF. He clearly not suited for the deep CM positions. One of then is Xhaka, the other is for Santi or Elneny depending on the opposition and for rotation purposes. Ramsey does not have the positional discipline of an Elneny or the technical nous of a Santi for the role. Both of them are better than him at this position.
    His free attacking role for Wales fits him perfectly but at Arsenal, this position is taken by the untouchable Mesut. He is in a conundrum and he may need a move, at some point in a year or two, if he wants to fulfill his potential and play regularly.

Romfordray repped this.
  9. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Can you blame him? He is being mishandled by a senile out of touch man.

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    and a fanbase that has never really loved him.

Serengeti_Boy and Tonerl repped this.
  11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    yeah, Ramsey gonna be in the first XI all season barring injury. And he gonna have a great season too. You both gonna have to deal with that.

Serengeti_Boy, casoccerdad47 and banco repped this.
  12. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If anyone is going to end up playing less than they would like (especially if a wide player is bought) , it is going to be Santi.

lynesjc and DaPrince84 repped this.
  13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, there is no need for that...You may not like Arsene but calling him senile is totally out of line for any Arsenal fan.

fari and Twiggy repped this.
  14. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    pretty much.

Santi is the guy who is clearly not first choice.

And Wenger plays Ramsey whenever he is healthy.

15. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Hope he kicks on as you say, but based on what I've seen so far this preseason Ramsey is the odd man out once ozil comes back.

I'd say Ramsey will play out wide against pool. AW will play two of elneny, xhaka and coq deep with an inexperienced back line. AW also plays santi when he's fit as well, maybe this is the year that changes that but he's looked pretty good so far.

I'd say for pool:

Rambo---Alexis---Walcott
    -----------santi
    ---elneny-----xhaka

Solid base, santi to move the ball and beat the press. A front three that is about as good as we can put out at the moment.

charlie15 repped this.
  16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Play the muthafukking diamond

MisplacedSpainard repped this.
  17. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. It may be a choice between Iwobi and Ransey on the left. Vs Pool press that is a safe MF to have.

18. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Think Mr. 3 Lungs will have a good season, let's see what tactical tweaks Wenger makes

DaPrince84 repped this.
  19. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    About 3 hours ago with his Mrs and Chris Gunter at Reading Festival

[​IMG]

DaPrince84 and Romfordray repped this.
  20. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't see where Rambo plays when everyone is fit. He made a good fist of playing on the right a while back, but if we could get a confident Ox on the field I'd rather that.

You could play him at 10 or at the tip of a diamond, but he's no playmaker. He's more about arriving in the box to get on the end of things a la David Platt (one for the kids there!) so you really need to play with good wide men delivering crosses for that and there's the small matter of having no place for Ozil.

He doesn’t cut it as one of the deeper two, he gives the ball away too much. In short, if you want to play him as a regular starter, you need to set the team up to play to his strengths otherwise he's great squad depth.

charlie15 repped this.
  21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    U can also play him cm in a diamond

22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You can play Ramsey anywhere on the pitch. Id actually like him in Oxlade's current position, but you could sit him beside Xhaka as well.

He fits, its just up to Wenger to make it happen.

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    First touch is a tad inconsistent, but if he keeps things simple and just plays, he's perfect for a three man midfield. A real diamond of a player, even.

24. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me .. Ramsey remains my favorite player and also the player I critique the most

For me the best position is box to box midfielder with more liberal attacking
    Swiss knife of midfield might best option, yet still believe that he and Ozil could work well together

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    U want ramsey lw prince?