Aaron Davidson in FIFA indictment

Discussion in 'NASL' started by FoxBoro 143, May 27, 2015.

1. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I just read a tweet that showed a picture of Blazer's testimony to the Feds, and it's enough to bury a lot of people by itself. Platini is already dead in the water despite his faux outrage during the last few days.

The best hope for the NASL is that it's such a small fish that guys like Davidson get away with a slap on the wrist by flipping on the big guns in FIFA, and the casual fans don't remember it or at least don't associate it with the league.

2. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Best for NASL to buy out Traffic's B stocks (66% as of a few years ago, may be less now) and get Carolina, the last club they own sold so they can move forward fresh from this.

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easier said than done. Especially since I believe the government has frozen Traffic's assets which presumably would include their NASL stock.

4. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    It'll happen sooner or later, it is only a matter of time.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Hmmmm....maybe this is why USL decided to push gor D2 status, or maybe they were encouraged.

6. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure the USL new about the traffic mess before hand. It certainly weakens the NASL's position from the outside looking in. I'm beginning to think that the USSF will grant the USL D2 status and drop NASL to D3 status but possibly leave the door open to the NASL to get back D2 status when they begin to meet the USSF requirements. Honestly I think there should just be a merger of the top USL teams and the Top NASL teams and THAT should be D2. The smaller teams should just be dropped into a regional D3.

7. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It is more likely the USSF also gives D2 status to the USL. I don't see the USSF not sanctioning the NASL. Even with the Traffic/Davidson mess and the lack of west coast expansion. The USSF won't be the one to pull the plug on the NASL.

How do they plan on doing that? Who is buying out Traffic? Are they going to ask the NASL owners to spend a lot more of their money to buy Traffic out? Which cannot even happen right now because everything is frozen. Never mind trying to find ownership for the RailHawks and possibly folding the Silverbacks. None of this is going away easily. There is no magic pill.

Zoidberg and markmcf8 repped this.
  8. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what benefit is it to the USSF to have a D2 league that does not meet its requirements? Having two D2 leagues makes little sense but I wouldn't be surprised to see it. I know the USSF could force a merger and I still think that's the best way to go.

Zoidberg repped this.
  9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    No benefit whatsoever but what does having two D2 leagues hurt? What is the real difference between D2 and D3 other than a designation?

I think it would be difficult for the USSF to force a merger and why would they? If the two league were in direct competition and that was hurting one league or the other then maybe you could see some action. But I don't see that.

The only things that I see the leagues could compete over are players, ticket sales, and TV/sponsorships.

Are there fights over players? Haven't heard of much anything like that.

NASL has the ESPN streaming deal and USL has YouTube but everything else is local. I can't imagine too much conflict over sponsors.

Ticket sales? Right now NASL and USL both have teams in the same market in only one city: New York with the Cosmos and Red Bulls II. Are they competing for ticket sales? Doesn't seem like it.

San Antonio and Austin are close but they have completely different TV markets. I'd be surprised if either draws fans from the other.

I guess you could cite the fight in Oklahoma City as a conflict between the leagues. Is that enough?

10. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Well, the overwhelming majority want the merger. Just all the BS and bad blood that went on. Taking out Traffic may well be the last step needed for this to happen. Let's hope.

I'm sure USL knew nothing, but Sunil probably had an inkling. Never know....feelers might have been sent out, or USL might have been encouraged because of wha might happen. All speculation of course.

Still, anything that can combine the leagues is all I want. MLS is set. Time to clean up the mess that is lower division soccer in the US...one way or the other, I care not how it is done.

11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Yup...no magic pill.

Interesting how NYC has been dead silent on this stuff. Only reason I bring it up is because their owners have a lot more in common with how the Qatar's of the world do business, and how let's say a Peter Wilt does.

I have little respect for OBrien.

It only makes sense to fold Atlanta at season's end, and here's hoping Carolina get's an owner.

12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I've said it for a while, and believe this is the end game for USSF.

If NASL was able to add a half dozen teams and owners where needed USSF wins, and if they don't USSF can force the issue of a merger and wins.

13. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if you give the USL D2 sanction then you are creating two competing leagues, which is unnecessary. It weakens both leagues overall instead of strengthening. No I think the Traffic mess is an out for NASL teams, why buy out Traffic when they could all en mass move to USL for less money and create a really strong D2 to boot.

14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    The leagues are competing now anyway, so no big deal.

Traffic is an out, but there is the Cosmos.

It was reported that NASL and MLS were very close to signing a working/affiliation agreement. Then NYC came into the picture, nixed it, then insane rhetoric started and that was that.

That is the last domino IMO.

15. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They may have no choice in the matter, lets say Indy, SA and Minn U decide its a good idea to move to the USL instead of kicking in money to buy out Traffic then what happens to the rest of the teams? They're not going to stick around in a crippled league I think they'll just move. Even the Cosmos, It would be insane for them not to. Mind you its all hypothetical but you'd only need two or three teams to create the momentum for it to happen.

Zoidberg repped this.
  16. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Absolutely right....good point.

If a couple of teams say enough is enough it will be the beginning of the end.

Minny will be gone anyway, but if Indy and a Jax say bye bye....then game over.

As USL gains traction, and if NASL even just stagnates, what will be the point for new NASL investors?

Interesting that the pitch NASL has always used....don't spend on fees, build your team here (even though there is a fee to join NASL:))....is what the USL can use now.

Don't spend that much on a team, MLS support, and you can still build from scratch and join MLS one day.

Without Traffic "support", in whatever forms:), what is the pitch now? Spend more on a league that lacks stability?
    The quality is clearly better than USL....ummm, not this year.....and we will challenge for D1 status....and I poop rainbow sherbert.

This is gonna be a very inetersting year for NASL.

TheJoeGreene and athletics68 repped this.
  17. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I think you guys are making a much bigger deal of this than it really is. Some money will change hands, some new people will be put in power, and the league will go on.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  18. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Traffic owns 66% of the NASL and are now forbidden to have anything to due with something they are majority owners. The common sense thing to due is for the league teams to share the cost and buy them out but if you're Indy or SA or JAX you may use this as an opportunity to jump ship and join a future D2 league for less then the cost of buying into the NASL. JAX and Indy already paid an expansion fee why would they chip in anymore money that should be spent on the club? I'm sure the USL would love to have most if not all the NASL teams so they'd probably get in for very little or possibly free. I'm just saying this has the chance to be trans-formative thing for the lower division and most importantly in a VERY positive way.

19. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Just playing out scenerios.

Traffic was the big money player here. traffic is done.

To just assume someone will decide to come in, or existing teams will just simply agree to pony up more money IMO is naive. To be clear, I am not saying you are, just that this is lower division soccer in the US. I have seen over forty plus years of it, been involved, seen balance sheets, etc...lower division soccer is hard...

...I will make no assumptions.

20. Eric Shinn

Eric Shinn Member

Dec 28, 2007
    A combined USL/NASL league could be great as a D2 league, just keep the MLS reserve teams out of it, put them in a regional D3 league...they have far different motivations than the stand alone professional clubs that are trying to run a soccer business at that level.

Looking at the NASL in the wake of the Traffic situation, I see their continued involvement with the league in any meaningful capacity as untenable. This of course would likely remove the chief barrier between NASL and MLS, the conflict over Traffic v SUM. I would have to assume league leadership that is free from Traffic's influence would no longer have any real vested interest in having an adversarial relationship with MLS (SUM).

NASL is going to have to take a real long and hard look at their long and short term strategies. While I do admire their conviction to establish themselves as a rival top flight league, i just don't see the economic here working out for them in their favor. If the NASL was full of franchises like the Cosmos and with their resources, then sure i can see where that starts to get some doors open for direct competition. But sadly the Cosmos are really the exception in NASL and the few teams with resources to approach them have or are going to MLS as expansion teams these past few years.

As much as they don't want to do it, I suspect they will have to eventually get with the USL and prop up a D2 league, and all the other teams unable or unwilling to meet the requirements will be regional D3. MLS's partnership with the USL would open up some marketing and sponsorship avenues via SUM and they could benefit from the economies for scale built up by MLS over the years.

Some of these teams may not be able to muster the financial requirements of a D2 league, but:

Sacramento Republic FC
    OKC Energy FC
    Tulsa Roughnecks
    Austin Aztex
    Edmonton FC
    St. Louis FC
    Wilmington Hammerheads FC
    Rochester Rhinos
    Charleston Battery
    Richmond Kickers
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Charlotte Independence
    Louisville City FC
    Hartford FC
    New York Cosmos
    Carolina Railhawks
    Indy Eleven
    Ottawa Fury FC
    San Antonio Scorpians
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Jacksonville Armada
    Miami FC
    Atlanta Silverbacks

24 teams, and some pretty decent markets ( i am sure a few of those clubs may be D3 candidates), relegate all the reserve teams to D3 and as more teams become interrested in the USL/NASL merged model maybe even flirt with pro/rel between D3 and D2 as a test case.

DanGerman repped this.
  21. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Why keep the reserve teams out of it?

NASL wants to be like the rest of the world.

Most in the world have their reserve teams play in the lower divisions.

22. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    The NASL also has a playoff. When they say that they are mainly talking about team ownership.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't the two new York teams owed bu guys from UAE?

Zoidberg repped this.
  24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will join the New Canadian soccer league ;)

And then some other league after the CSA screws things up up north.

Zoidberg repped this.
  25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could. But why would they? Why would USL be their only play?

Could they not start their own league? I mean....it's been done, right?

Minnesota is (pending a stadium solution) in the same boat Montreal was when the TOA split happened. They probably could have spent a year playing friendlies against international clubs and Rochester and such, but they threw their hat in with the NASL as their best option in the interim.

I would say knowing who's running USL that it might be a 50/50 proposition that the clubs you mention start yet another league. Joining (back, in some cases) with USL is not necessarily their only option.

If you have strong clubs (and Indianapolis and San Antonio and the Cosmos are obviously strong clubs), you bring something of value you can either leverage for favorable merger terms or to start your own league. They can do this without Traffic, Traffic was essential at startup, but may not be as essential now. I mean, they have all that lovely ESPN3 money coming in. :)

Zoidberg, TheJoeGreene and DanGerman repped this.